Status: Haitus

One

One Less Secret

Liam’s big idea of fun was to go to mini golf and I had to stop him and remind him that we weren’t college kids going on our first date. So I chose to go watch a movie at the drive in.

So now we’re college kids in the 50s going on our second date.

It was a great night, a great movie and he is an amazing kisser.

Everything felt right for once and I didn’t think or worry about Niall or Melissa once. I was having the time of my life and then the night had to come to an end and Liam walked me to my door. He kissed me on my cheek and said goodnight.

He didn’t ask for a nightcap and he didn’t try to make out with me. He just left me standing there wanting more. When I opened my door, my mood went from love-struck to pissed in a matter of seconds.

Let’s remember I have not seen or heard from Melissa since I found out that there’s a possibility that Niall isn’t even the father.

“Why are you here?” I glared at Melissa as I dropped my bad on the floor and walked right pass her to the fridge.

“I messed up…” I heard her sniff and then sigh.

“You just realized that?” I said picking up a water bottle out of the fridge.

When I turned around to face her, I saw something I’ve never seen before. Melissa’s hair was up, she wasn’t wearing any makeup and she had on sweats and a big t-shirt. Her eyes were red and you could tell that she had been crying all night.

“What happened?” I was genuinely concerned. When someone like Melissa shows up unannounced looking like hell you would be too.

“I’m going to lose him over this Abby” she shook her head and put her face in her hands. “If he’s not the father I will lose him.”

Walking over to her I hesitantly placed my hand on her shoulder and just stared at her not knowing what to say. Every time I opened my mouth to talk, I couldn’t let any words out.

“Abby…” Melissa tilted her head up and I watched her lips move but I couldn’t fully understand everything that she said.

“What?” I whispered as I stood up. “Wait…how… when?”

“Almost a month ago...” she started crying…sobbing. “I feel so bad about it, Abby. If I could take it back--”

I couldn’t believe it. I could never catch a break and what about Niall? How would he feel about all of this?

“You need to get out,” I walked over to my door and opened it. “You need to leave, Melissa”

“I can’t, I can’t go back.. I need your help, please…” She looked helpless and she did look sorry but I didn’t care.

“Leave.”

Melissa looked at me one last time before taking her purse and walking out of my apartment.

I slammed my door and leaned my back against my door. My best friend just told me that she slept with her fiancés best friend.

That’s right.

Liam could be the father of Melissa’s child.

~*~*~
Melissa

I thought about knocking on Abby’s door again. I thought about telling her how sorry I was. I’m such an awful person. I hooked up with my fiancés best friend and the worse part is I didn’t even feel bad about it until now…

I picked up my phone and stared at it. No missed calls, no unread text messages, nothing.

Niall hasn’t tried to contact me and usually after a fight he’s the first to break down and try to make things right.

My life is quickly turning upside down and it’s all because I didn’t hide my stupid pregnancy test. I dialed a number that was all too familiar and smiled faintly when I saw his picture pop up on my screen after I hit send.

“Hello?”

“I’m sorry.”

I heard him cough then mumble “Okay…”

“No really, I’m sorry and you deserve so much better.” I got in my car and started it up. “I’m going to start being a better person to you.”

Silence.

“Niall?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.” I could hear him sigh.

“Me too.”

Then silence again. This time I knew he hung up.

I don’t know where to begin. I’ve never had to make things right, I never had to deal with Niall being mad at me before. I put my phone in my purse and began driving home.

~*~*~
Abigail

“Hello?”

“Is it too late for you to come back? I want to see you...”

“Nope, I can be there in about fifteen minutes.”

I hung up the phone. I needed to hear it from Liam. I needed to hear him say that it was true and that he is a horrible best friend and that this whole time I was an idiot for beginning to like someone who would do such a thing to his so-called best friend.

After watching half a Friends episode on Netflix, I heard a knock on my door. I got up and forced a smile as I opened the door. Liam walked in and smiled at me.

“Couldn’t wait to see me till date number three, eh?”

I shook my head and my fake smile subsided.

“Liam…” My eyes met his and I watched as his smile slowly faded. “Melissa was just here and…” I looked away staring at my ceiling then at my floor. “and… How well do you know her?”

My eyes found his again and he was watching me, hands shoved in his pockets and he shrugged. “She’s my mates fiancé,” he chuckled and looked at me. “I guess not as well as him or you… why?”

I walked over to him and I swear it took everything in me not to sound crazy. I’ve only known this guy for two days and now I’m about to ask him to admit something horrible to me.

“I guess there’s no use beating around the bush on this but… did you sleep with her?”

His eyes studied mine for a second and then he clinched his jaw and shook his head, “what”?

“Did. You. Sleep. With. Melissa?”

It was obvious that I was getting annoyed and I just wanted the answer, I wanted to him hear him admit to me. I wanted to hear him say it. He looked confused and then he opened up his mouth and lied.

“No.”

~*~*~
Melissa

When I got home I was expecting Niall to be in the living room waiting for me on the couch but he wasn’t. He wasn’t in the living room, he wasn’t in the kitchen, and he wasn’t in the bedroom. He wasn’t in the damn house at all.

I sat down on the couch and for the first time since I found out about my pregnancy I started to think. Should I really have this baby? Am I even ready to be a Mom? What in the world am I going to do if Niall isn’t the father? Am I ready to fight for us if it came down to it?

Is this baby going to be nothing but trouble?

The front door open and I turned around and saw Niall walk in. I smiled at him and he didn’t even look at me.

“You ready to talk?” He said tossing his keys on the side table.

I nodded as he sat down next to me on the couch.

“Not off to a good start, are we?” he raised his eyebrow and smirked.

“I’m ready,” I smiled as I took his hand into mine. “I just… I don’t know where to start but I’m ready to try.”

He smiled and place a soft kiss on my lips. I smiled softly, feeling his soft lips touch mine and for the first time in my relationship I realized how lucky I was to have him in my life. That kiss made me forget for a second about all of our problems.

Maybe we will make it.

~*~*~
Abigail

“You’re a fucking liar!”

I couldn’t help but chuckle. “Why would Melissa tell me something like that if it wasn’t true? Why would she make up such a horrible thing?”

“Um, I don’t know, maybe because she’s an attention whore!” Liam said sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes. “How could you do that to Niall?” I glared at him and if looks could kill, he’d be dead by now.

Liam scoffed as he headed towards my door, “I didn’t sleep with her and if you really believe that I would do something like that to my best mate then this isn’t going to work.”

He shut the door behind him as he left and that pissed me off even more. I didn’t say this conversation was over but I wasn’t going to run after him yelling and wake up my whole apartment.

How could he lie to me? I mean sure, he didn’t know me well enough to admit something like that but I already knew the truth. I wasn’t going crazy Melissa said she slept with Niall’s best friend. She said that and I know it was Liam, who else would it have been?

I paced back in forth in my studio apartment for 30 minutes replaying in my head when Melissa told me.

”Abby… I slept with Nialls’ best friend, he could be the father of this baby.

Ugh, It doesn’t make sense. Liam should have came clean and said, ‘yeah, I slept with her, and what?’ Well, maybe not exactly that but he could have told the truth and maybe I wouldn’t have been half as mad. Maybe I would have heard his side of the story.

Not that it would have made much of a difference.

I walked over to my kitchen and grabbed a glass out of my cabinet along with a bottle of vodka. As I was pouring a glass of vodka it all hit me like a ton of bricks and I remembered a conversation I had with Liam early today.

I smiled, “how does Melissa know a guy from England? I’m guessing...”

“Well she’s engaged to my best mate. I met her a couple days ago when I flew out here to help Niall get ready for everything.”


I’m such an idiot. I stopped pouring the vodka and begin to chug what was in my cup. The alcohol burned as I felt it go down into my stomach. How could I get Liam to ever talk to me again? How can I explain that I was just jumping to conclusions?

Oh god.

I just told him that Melissa cheated on his best mate and he knows it obviously wasn’t him.

“Fuck..” I took another big gulp and ran to get my phone off the couch.
♠ ♠ ♠
First, I would like to apologize to those of you who were reading this when I first started it. I had a lot of family problems that I had to deal with and I couldn't exactly post anymore. I'm back now and I plan on keeping up and finishing this story. Secondly, I reread my first three chapters and notice a lot of typos and errors that I missed before which are now cleared up.

Comment, Concerns? What do you think about Abby accidentally letting the cat out of the bag to Liam? Any hope for Melissa and Niall as a couple?

Please don't give up on this story, I know I haven't.