‹ Prequel: Outliers
Sequel: Oracles
Status: read this story on wattpad!!

Obliques

e·i g h t i·n c o n g r u i t y

Kill the King? Me?

I'm sitting, strapped in my seat. The boat wavers side to side. My ears listen to the crashing waves beat against the hard metal walls of the battleship. All the faces I take a glance at are stern, focused, and afraid for their lives. My heart jumps in my chest. I have to kill the King... How can I do that? This is one big nightmare and I want to wake up desperately. I want to wake up back in my domicile. Back in the Hitherlands. Back to sewing and my mundane life. But I know that I can't go back home. There is no home. All of this grief I hold is caused by the King... My fingers press into the balls of my knees. I nod to myself, finding courage out of my burning anger. If I do survive... Then I'll finally be free. We'll all be free.

Night falls and we arrive on the coast of Polaris. It's another day's journey to reach Belladonna city... That's where Prance is. But I refuse to think of him now. I have to do what I have to do.

Our army is split into groups to tackle different parts of Polaris. We have to move quickly before we're detected. Though Werner is in a wheelchair, he's as ready to fight as anyone. I watch him strap on his gear and his weapons onto his back. He orders soldiers to get to their positions.

"That includes you, Sage."

I blink and nod. He points to the men disembarking trucks.

"We're taking the last truck to the city. By daybreak, we'll head to the tower. There, we will meet the others. The Sentries will appear at any moment, so that's when the war will really begin," Werner explains to us as we travel through the rubble. He then looks towards me. "Sage, we are merely a distraction. You will have to go up the tower and find the King."

I press my lips tightly together and nod, "Right."

We move forward. Suddenly, Hera pushes ahead of me, colliding into my shoulder. I try to ignore her. But then I feel a heavy hand on my shoulder. I look up and see Kier by my side. He stops me in my tracks. I give him a questioning look. If he wants to insult me or put me down, now is not the time.

"What do-"

"I don't know why my father has so much faith in you, but," he pauses and sighs, with an annoyed expression. He stares me down. "But I thing you won't survive... So, prove me wrong."

Then he walks off to his group. I frown.

I mumble on my own, "I'm not doing this for you."

The sun rises and so does the skyline of Belladonna. The horizon grows slowly. I lower my goggles over my eyes. We pass through the tall grass.

"They know we're coming."

I hear Kier's deep voice, though I know he isn't in our truck.

I look over and see the driver respond through a radio.

"Watch out for aerial strikes. Expect them to fire when we approach two miles."

"We're heading south of the border," Kier informs.

"Copy that," the soldier nods.

It's quiet again for another moment. The engine roars up the hills and bumps. His voice springs from the radio again.

"How's soldier Sage?" Kier asks.

I lift my eyes away from the radio and back on the horizon. I know he's not asking out of concern or care. If anything, it's his father's inquiry.

I decide to answer. I lean towards the radio.

I raise my voice, "Soldier Sage is doing just fine here!"

The driver lets out a grin. I sit back down and feel a growing dryness in my throat.

"You're quite courageous talking to Kier like that."

I roll my eyes and sigh, "He's a pain... And evil."

"Most people are afraid of him."

"He doesn't scare me," I say.

Surprisingly, Kier doesn't reply with snazzy comment over the radio.

It's night again and the skyline of the city is visible. Its bright lights create an aura around it. Its tall skyscrapers grow inches, as we get closer. My gut shrinks. I think of Mrs. Peterson and all the other innocent people that will get hurt for this. Is this fair? Is it their fault that my kind suffers? I don't know what's going to happen after the first fired shot. I clutch my vest tightly. I want to jump off this truck and run in the bushes. But I've been running endlessly without finding what I want... freedom. Who says that winning the war will bring it to me? I might die and never feel it. Maybe there is no freedom on this earth. Maybe it's a false hope for those who are at war with themselves. They tell me I must kill the King... and then what? Will the Cygnus surrender? Will they leave us in peace to make our own choices and live our own lives? Can I live without fearing that they'll kill me? Questions pile up in my head. My courage turns into doubt, but it's too late to fix when the truck stops. The soldiers start to trek and I follow slowly.

There are no stars tonight. Already, there are jets zooming in the sky, releasing missiles down to where we are. The ground shakes and shouts are shouted. We advance, despite our backs being blown up. I run as fast as I can behind the other soldiers. Bullets start to fly as we enter the city. The streets are bursting with Sentries. Some of them throw grenades. Fire explodes. Bodies fall to the ground. The sight is sickening to my stomach. I pant, heaving toxic air in my lungs. I know the way to the tower. I should stop wasting time.

I run, while taking shelter behind vehicles or buildings ever so often. Parliament is a good way far from here. Suddenly, a building explodes and falls flat nearby. Shards of glass scrape my face, as I try to duck. I try to look up, figuring out if my eyes are blinded. Instead, I watch a Sentry run frantically, his body burning on fire. I lift myself to my feet and hike further down the road. Nausea forces me to crawl.

"Sage!" I hear my name being called.

Too scared, I keep crawling ahead. An arm yanks me up.

"Here, put this!"

I see Tilt. He buckles his gas mask over my mouth. I try to shake my head. But all he does is tell me to go. He then leaves me.

I finally reach the Parliament tower in one piece. The horrid views outside weaken my knees. I crash my firearm through the glass and climb through. I get inside and it's empty. Eerie. Quiet. It's impossible that the King would stay here during a war. I scramble up the stairs to the King's place. It's only me now. I unstrap my mask to see better in the dark.

Suddenly, a Sentry grabs my and pushes me into a headlock. I scream. I try to shove him off. I tread backwards, making him hit the wall. I try to remember everything Kier taught me in combat. The sentry comes my way again. I throw him a punch, using every last bit of energy. He barely retracts from it. He swings his whole arm and whacks me across the hall. I feel blood gush down my nose. My eyes can't focus. I grab onto the fire extinguisher next to me and pitch it at his head. He's knocked out cold. I don't stay long to figure out if I killed him. I run down the hall, preparing my firearm over my shoulder, and burst through the door.

Though my head is dizzy, I squint my eye through the lens. I'm in the King's office. His big leather chair faces the large windows, looking over the war. I made it. I can shoot him, one shot Sage, and it's all over. My eyes finally focus straight and I can see clearly. I won't miss this shot.

"It's over," I say strongly.

The leather chair spins around slowly. My heart stops.

No.