The Leather Jacket

Cold Night

Alex shivered against the cold winter wind; the storm clouds above his head had been threatening snow for hours. Alex pulled his jacket a little tighter around him and continued trying to play his guitar but his fingers were so frozen he kept making mistakes. He wasn’t yet used to the coldness of winter, he’d been on the streets a few weeks but winter had only recently set in, he wondered how much longer he could last on the streets of Baltimore.
The shops would be closing soon and Alex thought he could at least play one more song, he couldn’t pass up the chance for a little extra money. His frozen fingers found their place on the strings and he began to play.
“Get me out of this place, before I cause more damage
A small price to pay for building houses out of matchsticks
And when things get too hot, you’ve got me to blame for
Every fire that breaks out in every lover’s name” Alex began to sing, his soft voice echoing through the near empty street.
“Don’t forget, we’ve got unfinished business
Stories yet to unfold
Tales that must be retold
And I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness
Keeps me wanting
Keeps me wanting more...”
Alex continued to play and sing, keeping his focus on his fingers as not to make mistakes not that anyone would notice if he did. At first Alex had only played covers, mostly Blink and Green Day but as time went on he’d started throwing in some of his own songs too.
“Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake
Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake
Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake
Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake
Don’t forget, we’ve got unfinished business
Stories yet to unfold
Tales that must be retold
And I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness
Keeps me wanting
Keeps me wanting more...”
Alex played the last chord and the sound of his guitar fell into the silence again. It had been so long since anyone had stopped to hear him Alex was shocked to hear the sound of clapping, he brushed his long fringe from his eyes and looked up. A man was stood in front of him, tall, dark haired and wearing a thick leather jacket.
“Wow that was really good!” The man cheered, showing a big goofy smile. Alex just blushed and let his hair fall in front of his face.
“Hmm thanks” Alex mumbled.
“Did you write it?” the man asked.
“Yeah”
“Woah! That’s amazing. I’m Jack by the way”
The man sat beside him on the bench and Alex was able to get a better look at him, he was younger than Alex first thought no he was probably nearer his own age, twenty, twenty one maybe. His hair wasn’t actually black but a very dark brown that stuck up in all directions and his eyes were the warmest brown.
“What’s your name?” he asked.
“Why do you care?” Alex asked bluntly, no one had bothered this much with his songs before he didn’t understand Jack’s interest.
“Because you’re seriously talented, I’ve been trying to play guitar for ages but you’re way better than me”
Alex looked away and continued fiddling with the strings of his guitar, trying to hide the blush on his pale cheeks.
“Did you write many of your own songs?” Jack asked.
“A few and I’m... Alex”
“Nice to meet you Alex, do you think I could possibly hear one of your songs?” he asked.
Alex tried to hold down the strings but his fingers were too cold to play anymore, in fact all of him was too cold and he couldn’t repress a shiver any longer. This didn’t go unnoticed by Jack, Alex looked like he was in serious need of a hot drink.
“Hey, I’ve got an idea. Would you like to have a coffee with me?”
“What?”
“A coffee, with me, now”
“Hmm...”
Alex looked at the money collected in his hat, it was barely enough to buy him dinner and he’d kill for a coffee, or anything that would allow him to feel his fingers again.
“O... Okay”
“Great” Jack beamed.
Jack had taken Alex’s hand and lead him through the icy streets, the boy felt frozen and Jack wondered how long he’d been alone in the harsh winter.
Alex was full on shivering by the time they reached a cafe but he’d never felt so grateful for air con in his life, the blast of hot air as he stepped through the door was like heaven. Jack ordered their drinks why Alex took a seat on one of the comfy chairs and tried to warm up.
“Thank you for this Jack, it’s really nice of you” Alex said, his fingers wrapping around the steaming mug.
“No problem” Jack smiled.
Alex happily sipped his coffee, it had been so long since he’d anything so hot and he wanted to hold onto the feeling so as long as possible. They began to talk, they spoke of music and the bands they loved. Jack spoke of Alex’s songs and how he hoped to be able to play like him. Alex even told of his home, or lack thereof, Jack looked sad at his words but stayed silent. They continued to talk until the sun went down and stars appeared through the clouds.
“Oh shit, is that the time?” Jack exclaimed having checked his phone.
“I should be err going...” he said.
Alex didn’t reply, both of them gathered their things and left the warmth of the cafe for the now snow covered streets.
“I really have to go but I...”
“I’ll be okay, don’t worry about me” Alex tried to reassure him.
“I can’t leave you like this” Jack said, he could see Alex was already shivering and the night was only to get colder. He slipped off his thick leather jacket, the one that had kept him cosy during many late nights and handed it to the boy.
“Take this”
“R...R..Really?”
“Really, you need much more than I do”
“Thank you Jack!” he exclaimed, tears in his eyes no one had ever been that kind to him.
Alex pulled on the jacket, it was rather big for him and fell past his hands but it was so warm and smelt of Jack.
“You’re welcome Alex”
Alex wrapped Jack in a hug, he tried not to cry but before he pulled away there was a slight damp patch on Jack’s shoulder.
“Goodbye Alex”
“Bye Jack”
Alex stood and waved Jack off as he walked back down the snow covered streets, somewhat warmer in Jack’s jacket. He hoped he’d see Jack again someday and he’d be able to repay him for all he’d done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi, guess who's back? Yeah we all knew I couldn't leave Jalex alone very long! No supernatural or angels this time though, I thought I'd try something new and I'm really liking it so far. I hope you do too! :)