With a Little Help From My Friends

Chapter 5

Karim looked up from the phone and frowned when he saw Ausra and Gareth sharing a laugh, feeling jealous of the big Welshman. "There's no way Gareth is going to make a move, him and Emma have been together forever and he won't even look at another woman. Don't try anything stupid, but do make a move, Benz", said Iker.

"How's Bale as a roommate?", he asked as the guys got in the cab.

"He's a good guy, his kids are cute. I worked for two hockey teams, this is nothing", she chuckled.

Gareth tried to hide the smile on his face as he pretended to look down at his phone. Karim is being jealous, it's about time he found a woman who can challenge him, he mused.

"I'm going to drink plenty of beer, English food est si mauvais", said Karim.

"If you think English food is bad, Welsh food is worse. At least English people know how to make beer and cook breakfasts, all we have is leeks and rarebit", laughed Gareth.

"I'll top you on that, Russian food is the worst. We have boiled dumplings with sour cream, cabbage soup and boiled potatoes. At least we make the best vodka", she joked.

Karim grinned when he saw her full red lips turned up in a smil and her green eyes crinkled at the corners like a cat's. Tiny golden pinpricks danced amongst the green momentarily but quickly disappeared along with her smile. She's still not happy, I want to see her like that again. Her son is right, he thought.

The group found themselves at the Blackburn Arms and was quickly escorted to a large table in the back. "We always went here when I played with Spurs, they make their own beers and the food is terrific", said Gareth.

A waitress came around with a round of bitter and shots of Jameson's and took their orders. The men looked impressed when she knocked back the shot and chassed it with the beer as a little smile played on her face. "I'm Russian and I have been around hockey players my whole life, I have seen people drink more than this", she laughed.

Karim nodded as he drank his beer. "Oui, I have seen it. I could either give up pork or alcohol, I'd rather give up pork", he said.

"I'm pagan but I agree, alcohol is more important than pork and it's not good for you anyways", she said.

Gareth and Iker pretended to glance down at their phones as they hid their smiles. Karim and Ausra were having an animated conversation in French, the rapid-fire language and hand gestures so very different from what British people did. "What do you mean, Game of Thrones is lame? It's the best show and it's Lyosha's favorite", she exclaimed.

"I don't like fantasy shit, it's corny and growing up in the banlieus like I did, it has nothing to do with my life. I like stuff that is real, dragons and fairies and all that shit has nothing to do with reality", he said.

"Then what do you like?", she asked.

"Dexter, CSI, the Wire, Sons of Anarchy, I also like gangster movies. There were gangs where I lived, I stayed away from them and they left me alone when I played for Lyon. It's so real, I don't like fantasy", he said.

"Je comprends, but I love stuff that takes me away from reality. Us Russians are big into fantasy stuff, we produce a lot of fantasy films and games. Russian myths are very dramatic and translate well to the movies", she said.

"Like what?", he asked.

"Have you heard of Firebird? That's based on an old Russian folktale", she replied.

"Oui, bien sur. Stravinsky caused a riot with Rites of Spring, I learned that in school. Stravinsky is the only classical music I like, il est fort", he said approvingly.

"I like him and Wagner, they are very loud, I love Russian classical music. You ought to watch Game of Thrones sometimes", she teased.

"If you watch Sons of Anarchy with me, Ausra. But it's not appropriate for the children", eh said.

"D'accord, I will have Anna watch them for the night", she replied as their food arrived.

Iker sent a text to the rest of the team after they finished eating and had split the check. "We're all going to a karaoke place, the coaches are already there", he said.

"Okay, I want see you lot make asses of yourselves", laughed Gareth.

"I better drink more, I can speak English but I can't sing it right", said Karim.

"Just do an Elvis or Beatles song, everyone knows at least one", she suggested.

"D'accord, but if they have Tupac or Biggie taht would be better", he said.

The rest of the team was there as they were led into a private room in the back with its own stage and waitress, who immediately came over with a round of beers and showed them how to use the machine. Cristiano immediately grabbed the mike and got onstage, clearing his throat. "Ola, todos. Who is the first to come up here and make a complete fool of themselves?", he asked with a grin.

The group looked at each other until Jese came onstage and took the mike, Fuck You by Cee-Lo coming over the speakers as he began to sing:

I see you driving 'round town
With the girl i love and i'm like,
Fuck you!
Oo, oo, ooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough i'm like,
Fuck you!
And fuck her too!
I said, if i was richer, i'd still be with ya
Ha, now ain't that some shit? (ain't that some shit?)
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Fuck you!
Oo, oo, ooo

Yeah i'm sorry, i can't afford a ferrari,
But that don't mean i can't get you there.
I guess he's an xbox and i'm more atari,
But the way you play your game ain't fair.

I pity the fool that falls in love with you
(oh shit she's a gold digger)
Well
(just thought you should know nigga)
Ooooooh
I've got some news for you
Yeah go run and tell your little boyfriend

Now i know, that i had to borrow,
Beg and steal and lie and cheat.
Trying to keep ya, trying to please ya.
'Cause being in love with you ass ain't cheap.

I pity the fool that falls in love with you
(oh shit she's a gold digger)
Well
(just thought you should know nigga)
Ooooooh
I've got some news for you
Yeah go run and tell your little boyfriend

Now baby, baby, baby, why d'you wanna wanna hurt me so bad?

(so bad, so bad, so bad)
I tried to tell my mamma but she told me
"this is one for your dad"
(your dad, your dad, your dad)
Uh! Whhhy? Uh! Whhhy? Uh!
Whhhy lady? Oh! I love you oh!
I still love you. Oooh!


Everyone had a laugh as he sang the profane song with it's obscene chorus, knowning even if it was in English. "Que bueno, give it up for Jese. Who next?", he asked.

Ausra sipped her beer and reflected on another team karaoke night years ago with the Nordiques. Carbomb was the emcee, Jared doing Jason Aldean, Superstar pretending to be Bono, Danny and Lee duetting on Grease songs and Brassy channelling Sinatra, she mused.

"Why don't you give it a try?", asked Karim.

"Only if you go, mon ami", she drawled.

Karim just laughed as they played Rock, Paper, Scissors with her winning. "All right, Karim. Just don't try to make us deaf", laughed Crisitiano as he handed over the mike and California Love by Tupac came over the speakers:

California...knows how to party
California...knows how to party
In the citaaay of L.A.
In the citaaay of good ol' Watts
In the citaaay, the city of Compton
We keep it rockin! We keep it rockin!

Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness
The track hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest
Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex
We in that sunshine state with a bomb ass hemp beat
the state where ya never find a dance floor empty
And pimps be on a mission for them greens
lean mean money-makin-machines servin fiends
I been in the game for ten years makin rap tunes
ever since honeys was wearin sassoon
Now it's '95 and they clock me and watch me
Diamonds shinin lookin like I robbed Liberace
It's all good, from Diego to tha Bay
Your city is tha bomb if your city makin pay
Throw up a finger if ya feel the same way
Dre puttin it down for
Californ-i-a

Shake it shake it baby
Shake it shake it baby
Shake it shake it mama
Shake it Cali
Shake it shake it baby
Shake it shake it shake it shake it...

Out on bail fresh outta jail, California dreamin
Soon as I stepped on the scene, I'm hearin hoochies screamin
Fiendin for money and alcohol
the life of a west side playa where cowards die and its all ball
Only in Cali where we riot not rally to live and die
In L.A. we wearin Chucks not Ballies (that's right)
Dressed in Locs and khaki suits and ride is what we do
Flossin but have caution we collide with other crews
Famous cause we PROGRAM worldwide
Let'em recognize from Long Beach to Rosecrans
Bumpin and grindin like a SLOW jam, it's west side
So you know the row won't bow down to no man
Say what you say
But give me that bomb beat from Dre
Let me serenade the streets of L.A.
From Oakland to Sacktown
The Bay Area and back down
Cali is where they put they mack down
Give me love!

now make it shake...

uh, yeah, uh, longbeach in tha house, uh yeah
Oaktown, Oakland definately in tha house hahaha
Frisko, Frisko
hey, you know LA is up in this
Pasadena, where you at
yeah, Inglewood, Inglewood always up to no good
even Hollywood tryin to get a piece baby
Sacramento, sacramento where ya at? yeah

Throw it up y'all, throw it up, Throw it up
Let's show these fools how we do this on that west side
Cause you and I know it's tha best side

yeah, That's riight
west coast, west coast
uh, California Love
California Love


Karim just winked at the crowd and did the West Coast hip hop classic with his trademark swagger, getting a standing ovation. "Merci, mes amis. Mon amie Russe, maintenant ce est votre tour de chanter pour nous", he said.

Ausra stood up and walked towards the stage with the bearing of a queen, thaking the mike from Karim as their fingers touched briefly. She scrolled through the songs and selected two of them, Eleanor Rigby coming from the speakers:

Ah, look at all the lonely people
Ah, look at all the lonely people

Eleanor Rigby, picks up the rice
In the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream

Waits at the WINDOW, wearing the face
That she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

Father McKenzie, writing the words
of a sermon that no one will hear
No one comes near

Look at him working, darning his socks
In the night when there's nobody there
What does he care?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

Ah, look at all the lonely people
Ah, look at all the lonely people

Eleanor Rigby, died in the church
And was buried along with her name
Nobody came

Father McKenzie, wiping the dirt
From his hands as he walks from the grave
No one was saved

All the lonely people
(Ah, look at all the lonely people)
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
(Ah, look at all the lonely people)
Where do they all belong?


Karim's gaze was riveted to her as she began to sing, her expressive alto adding depths to the melancholy lyrics. It immediately segued into I'm a Loser, the contrast between songs momentarily startling:

I'm a loser
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be

Of all the love I have won or have lost
there is one love I should never have crossed
She was a girl in a million, my friend
I should have known she would WIN in the end

I'm a loser
And I lost someone who's near to me
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be

Although I laugh and I act like a clown
Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown
My tears are falling like rain from the sky
Is it for her or myself that I cry

I'm a loser
And I lost someone who's near to me
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be

What have I done to deserve such a fate
I realize I have left it too late
And so it's true, pride comes before a fall
I'm telling you so that you won't lose all

I'm a loser
And I lost someone who's near to me
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be


Karim was unsettled when she looked right at him when singing the line Though I Laugh and Act Like a Clown/ Under This Smile I am Wearing a Frown. That's exactly how she feels, he thought in realization.