Status: Updates every other Wednesday :) (On short Hiatus!)

Change Your Ticket

015

I had to be driven to school Monday morning. My precious car had to sit in the driveway untouched because of the boot that was attached to my foot. I was beyond pissed. All the hard work I had put into trying to be the player this team needed just went out the door. Stupid black boot.

“So what’s the official diagnosis?” Asher asked at lunch.

After I left Asher’s, Max and Ava drove me straight to the ER. We were there for hours waiting for someone to see me. Apparently breaking a toe and spraining your ankle aren’t as serious injuries as we thought. The motto of the ER here might as well be “if you’re not bleeding, you’re fine.”

“I’m in the boot for a minimum of four weeks thanks to my stupid toe. I’m out for at least two more weeks after that for my ankle but it could be longer.”

“Dammit.”

“It’s not the worse thing to happen,” Max said. “Josh just bumps up to first string for awhile.”

“Have you confronted Chase yet?” Miranda asked.

Despite her escapades last weekend, she managed to remember what went down. I don’t know she did it. Alcohol didn’t effect her memory as much as it did for others for some reason.

“I have to talk to Coach first.”

When the final bell at the end of the day I marched -- or stumbled -- my way to Coach’s office. None of the other boys had arrived at the locker room yet so it was just me and Coach. Just what I needed.

“What the hell happened to you?”

I told him the basics of my prognosis which just made him upset. I hadn’t realized how much Coach actually believed in my playing abilities until I told him I couldn’t play. It was kind of nice knowing I wasn’t just playing because of a technicality.

“We have bigger issues to address,” I said. Coach instructed my to continue so I told him the story of how my injuries occurred. It was hard to read him at first but it was soon clear to me that he was conflicted. “He needs to be reprimanded.”

“I agree but -- it didn’t happen here. There really isn’t much we can do.”

“There were witnesses,” I said, irritated.

“I believe you Emmerce. I do,” he said. “Unfortunately my hands are tied. The board is already watching us like a hawk and if they see me benching him it’s going to lead to more problems.”

“So he’s not going to be punished?” I yelled.

“He’ll be punished during practices, but unless he does something on Mass High soil, he’s playing on Friday.”

True to his word, Chase ran laps most of practice. There was no explanation needed for his absence in plays. Everyone on the team was at that party, they knew what happened. While Chase ran and the team ran plays, I took my seat on the bench. I was back to being the assistant coach and resident cheerleader. It wasn’t that bad, but now that I had gotten to play I missed it. For the first time, I understood Parker’s frustration with not being able to play in California.

* * *


The pain in my leg was supposed to subside with time, but it was just getting worse. It was partly my fault as I refused to use the crutches provided for me, but still. I forced Cassadee to drive me to the ER Thursday night when the pain was too unbearable. As it turns out the sprain in my ankle was more serious than the previous doctor has thought. I was now out for at least two months and prescribed pain medication to be taken as needed.

It was late when Cass and I finally arrived home but I needed to talk to someone. I was so upset and the only person who understood just so happened to be three hours behind me. I dialed the number and waited for his voice to come through.

“Did I wake you?” I asked.

“No you’re good. What’s up?”

I hadn’t talked to Parker in a few days so I filled him in on the whole Chase situation. To say Parker was pissed was an understatement. He was furious, mainly because Chase wasn’t being punished properly. When I told him the news on my condition his voice softened.

“I’m so sorry Jos.”

“I really liked playing Parker,” I sighed. “I thought I was just getting put on the team because of a technicality to keep my captain spot. When I told Coach he was really upset, he really believed I could play.”

“You did play. You were damn good at it too.”

“And now I won’t get to play ever again. This season was my one shot to prove that I could hold my own in a boy’s sport. I only got to play two games but damn I miss it.”

“States a few months away, you’ll be better then,” he assured me.

I knew he was right. I would be better by state but that didn’t mean the team would make it there. Sure, we were winning games but not like we usually do. There was something seriously wrong with the team dynamic that was being ignored. Even if we did make it to state, I wouldn’t be ready to play. I would be healed but unpracticed. It would be a disaster. My time was over and I was upset. I didn’t even know I liked playing football until it was too late.

“You know I would do anything to make you feel better,” Parker said. “Whatever you want, just say it.”

“Play for me. Show that team the player I know you to be. You still have a shot at your dream Parker, don’t let it pass you.”

* * *


Despite my exhaustion and immense pain I went to school on Friday. I wore my jersey, sat with the team at lunch, and even rode the bus to the away game that afternoon. Max did a good job at keeping me preoccupied until it was time for them to get ready. The boys walked into the guest locker rooms while I headed over to the sidelines.

It was freezing. I had my windbreaker and Parker’s varsity jacket on and I was still freezing. The cold wasn’t helping my broken ligaments either. Hobbling over to where I sat my bag down, I took out two of the pain pills I was prescribed and took them. The pain almost instantly floated away, as did most of my thoughts.

I don’t remember much of the game or the bus ride after. I think every went to the diner after, me included, but everything was a bit fuzzy. I remember taking my pain pills and that was it. That was the only clear memory I had until I woke up this morning. My head was throbbing and the sun was making my room unpleasantly bright. From my spot on my bed I could see my phone vibrating, reaching for it I realized I had several missed calls and texts. Some of them were from the team but most of them were Parker. I opened one of the messages, my heart dropping instantly.

How could you?
♠ ♠ ♠
Did I actually update on time? It's a miracle. I haven't left you guys with a cliff hanger in a long time so this was long over do. Sorry. I'm not quite sure what my schedule looks like for next week yet but I will try my hardest to update at some point. In the mean time I just want to thank all of you for your endless support with this story and these characters. Every comment I receive, every person who subscribes or recommends this...you all make me smile. So thank you and keep it up! :)