Status: Updates every other Wednesday :) (On short Hiatus!)

Change Your Ticket

024

I couldn’t be any happier that my first semester of college was finally winding down but that didn’t mean football was. Steve had increased our practice time now that regular classes were over. He seemed to forget that we all still had finals we had to pass if he wanted us to play, in what was probably going to be our final game of the season. There was no arguing with him though, so after grueling practices the team migrated to the library to cram for finals. Apparently, this was what finals was all about.

To make matters worse today was Josylne and I’s one year anniversary. Leave it to the two of us to have to spend our first anniversary 2,945 miles apart and in different times zones. Thankfully, I didn’t have any finals today so the two of us were going to be able to spend the day together via facetime. Thank god for iphones.

The plan was to facetime each other from the location of our first date, the beach. It’s a good thing California has beaches or else we would have had to think of another choice.

“I’ll see you guys later,” I said, saying bye to Derrick and the rest of the boys.

I made sure I grabbed my phone and towel before heading out to the front of the school. Since I didn’t have my car I had to call a taxi -- or what LA calls an uber -- to take me to Santa Monica Pier. Apparently, it was supposed to only take 45 minutes but looking at the traffic already on the freeway it was going to take longer.

“Where are you headed?” the driver asked as I got into the back of the honda civic.

“Santa Monica beach, please.”

“Not really beach weather we’re having today,” he chuckled.

Judging by the way he was looking at me, he probably thought I was an idiot. And maybe I was, but it was no colder here than it was back home this time a year. At least I’d be sitting in seventy fifty degree beach weather, poor Jos would be in thirty degree weather with no one there to warm her up. Maybe this was a stupid idea.

Thankfully, we arrived at the beach with a little over five minutes to spare. That gave me time to set up my blanket and make sure my phone got service on the sandy beach. It also gave me time to think, making me realize the last time I was on a California beach was over spring break when we all flew down here for Jayden and I’s birthday.

The obnoxious ring of facetime knocked me out of my nostalgic day dreaming. The minute her face appeared on the tiny phone screen every mundane thought was whipped from my mind. There she was, sitting on the beach we had gone to exactly a year ago today. She was wrapped in a blanket which only made me wish I was there with her to keep her warm.

“Hey beautiful,” I smiled.

“Hey to you too, Daniels,” she teased.

We sat in mutual silence for a few moments, yet our eyes remained locked via our phones. The sound of the waves crashing onto the shore the only thing on my end anchoring me to the world. And while the sun was setting beautifully behind Josylne nothing compared to how beautiful she looked in that moment. With her the ends of her hair tossing in the wind, a glimmer in her eyes that made my heart fall to the pit of my stomach like it had done only a year ago.

“You have no idea how much I love you.”

“I think I have some idea,” she laughed. “I love you too.”

“Can you believe a year ago we didn’t even have each other’s phone numbers but we lived in the same house?”

“Can you believe we pretended to hate each for nearly a decade?”

“Maybe we had to hate each other to get to this though. Like maybe if I had admitted I liked you all those years ago it wouldn’t have worked out.”

“That was deep,” she smirked. “All that matters is we’re together now.”

We stayed on our respective beaches for another hour or so just talking about nonsense like we had done that night. I could have stayed longer but I knew how Massachusetts was during this time of year and the last thing I wanted was for Josylne to get sick because of me. Plus, it was getting late over there.

“Call me when you get home, okay?”

“Of course,” she smiled. “I’ll see you soon?”

“A few more days.”

With one final goodbye, the line went dead and it was just me and the crashing waves again. I dialed for an uber driver before focusing my attention back out to the shore. I studied the waves, watching as they crashed onto the shore only to be torn apart and brought back to the ocean. It reminded me a lot of our relationship. About how many times the two of us would crash on to each other only to be pulled away by our own subconscious. But as much as we were like the waves and the shore, we were different. Josylne and I got to be together, forever something the ocean and beach will never know.

I may not’ve known if I was going to pass this semester or if I was even going to be able to play football next year but there was one thing I was a hundred percent sure of. I was going to marry Josylne. Her and I were going to make it, and nothing was going to stop us.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is such a little chapter and I'm so sorry it came a week late. I've been caught up with some other writing projects and school that have just left me with no time. Hopefully that will change as we approach November. I do really like this chapter and hopefully all of you do to. This story is beginning to wrap up and while I have an ending in mind the lead up to the middle is still unplanned. Thanks for all of your patience and dedicated reading! Let me know what you think about this chapter! :)