Insanity’s Raven

Escape goes the Darkness

Months have passed since I have talked to Devlin. He is still my nurse but now he acts like all my old nurses. He ignores me and never looks me in the eye anymore. He said he was going to get me out but now I don’t believe him now.

I laid on my cot looking at the dull white ceiling thinking about the hot jackass that was my nurse. I had tried many times to dive into his mind but I couldn’t, it was like he was blocking me. No one has ever done that before. Once he told me my powers weren’t fully developed. Did that mean that instead of reading what was on their minds the moment I dived in or finding out the basic information like their names or birthdays, I could dive in deeper? Maybe I could do something with the memories like make the person forget them or make them relive them. And what about my shadows? Could I do more with them too? Maybe I could even make someone feel a certain emotion instead of just sensing their emotions.

A big bang jerked me out of my thoughts. I faintly heard screaming and running outside my door. I jumped off my cot and ran to my door, pressing my ear to it. I was right there was screaming and running but also bangs. The light of my room turned on. I was blinded, my eyes hurt from the light. Closing them I made my way back to my cot finding my sunglasses on the tray thing on the wall. I slipped them on, opening my eyes I turned back to my door.

My door flew open reviling Devlin and three others, a guy and two girls.

“So this hottie is Raven.” Said the other guy with an Austria accent.

This guy was about 5’10” with spiked light brown hair and light brown eyes. He was dressed in faded blue jeans, brown work boots, and a black t-shirt with a red button up shirt over it unbuttoned.

The two girls were about the same height but shorter than me. One girl had her black hair in a bun, had semi dark skinned with sky blue eyes. She had to be Japanese or Chinese. She was dressed in dark blue jeans, black sneakers, and a white tank-top.

The other girl was very dark skinned almost black with black dread locks and ocean blue eyes. She wore black short shorts, blue tank-top and blue flip-flops.

Devlin was in his male nurse’s outfit.

“Raven we need to go now.” He said

Raven? I thought I was Rav.

“Why should I?” I asked through clenched teeth

“You really pissed her off, mate.” Said the other guy

“Rav I promised I would get you out of this hell hole and that’s what I am doing. Come with us and we will explain everything to you. We even have clothes for you to change into.” said Devlin

So I’m Rav again.

I looked at the four. Should I go with them or stay here?

“Rav we don’t have much time.” He said as we all heard the shouts of the nurses and doctors.

Fuck here.

“Ok let’s go.” I said

All four grinned. They turned around and started running towards the front doors, I followed them. When we got to the main lobby, we found it packed with inmates, nurses and doctors. I saw Dr. Idiot trying to yell over the mass of people trying to get out. There was screams about fire, then I smelled the smoke. The hospital was on fire, great.

“Shit! Now what, Dev?” asked the guy

“I don’t know. I am still not very familiar with this place.” Said Devlin

“God damn it! I told him to wait until you had this place mapped out.” Said the Japanese/Chinese girl

“He wanted her now.” Said the black girl

“Who?” I asked. “What is going on?”

“Not now, later.” Said Devlin

I tried to read their minds but I couldn’t get in. I crossed my arms. I raised my eyebrow and turned on my heel heading to the back of the building.

“Rav, where are you going?” asked Devlin when he and the others caught up

“Out.” I said

“We don’t know another way out, shella.” Said the guy

I really to figure out these people’s names.

“I do. I have tried to escape many times. I know every way out.”

I followed the hallway taking lefts and rights, going around the engulfing fires finding my way to the back door with house plants on either side.

I went to the one on the left lifting it up reviling the key to the door. I grabbed it and unlocked the door.

Opening the door “Ladies and gentleman, I give you the outside.” I said reviling a concrete courtyard.

The four ran out the door, Devlin grabbed my arm forcing me to run with them.

It was bright and I was so glad for my sunglasses.

They pushed me up the fence that surrounded the hospital and dragged me into a black SUV. I was in the back with the two girls; Devlin was driving while the other guy was in the passenger seat.

“When we get to a gas station we will stop and you can change, Rav.” Said Devlin

“Then will you tell me what the fuck is going on?” I said glaring at the back of his head, arms crossed my chest

“Later Rav. Let’s get you out of those clothes and safe first.” He replied

Jackass. That’s what he was, a hot jackass. If someone doesn’t tell what the fuck is going on soon I am going to become violent.

“Ok Rave take this bag, go inside and change.” Said Devlin as he took a bag off the passenger’s floor board

I ripped the bag out of his hand with a glare. The Japanese/Chinese girl let me out. I walked in, not even looking around, and went straight to the bathrooms. I opened the women’s bathroom, slamming the door and locking it. I threw the bag on the floor and looked at myself in the mirror.

The girl who stared at me was pale from lack of sun. Her hair was long, messy, and looked like a rat’s nest. Turning off the lights, I took off my sunglasses. My eyes were still the amethyst purple that they were the last time I saw them. They had an angry look to them. Good because I was pissed.

Sighing I bent down opening the bag. I pulled out blue jeans, a cobalt blue t-shirt, black bra, black underwear, black sunglasses, and black, heelless, knee-high boots.

Oh thank god normal clothes. I quickly got dressed; the clothes were fitting and perfect. I grabbed the bag to take out the sunglasses to find a brush. Putting the brush and sunglasses on the sink I threw out the bag. I picked the brush up and started working on the waist-length, long, black rat’s nest.

After what seem like forever, the painful brushing had ended. My hair was straight and knot free for the first time in years.

Putting on the sunglasses, I turned on the light, unlocked the door and walked out.

As I walked out of the gas station, I notice the sun going down.

“There you shella. We were starting to get worried.” Said the guy

“Ok. Who the fucking hell are you people?” I asked, hands on my hips

The guy laughed. “The fiery shella should know our names, don’t you think Devlin?”

“Yeah that ok. He wants to tell her himself about what’s going on.”

“Well shella, my name is Aron.”

The Japanese/Chinese girl, who was still standing outside the car while the other three was still in the car, opened the back door for me.

“I am Amami.” She said as I climbed in

“Vivianna is my name.” said the black girl as I seat belted myself in

“Now are you going to tell me who the fuck wants me?” I asked

“No.” said Devlin

“Well…Fuck you too.”

It’s amazing that there aren’t any holes in Devlin’s head from my glaring. And I can’t bloody read their damn, fucking minds. They were pissing me off.

“I’m sorry Raven but I need to tie this around your head.” Said the black girl, Vivianna

Sighing, I turned around, closing my eyes, I took off the sunglasses and let Vivianna tie a blindfold around my head. When she was done, I faced front again, sadly this time I couldn’t see Devlin’s poor head so I can glare at him some more.

“Rav, I know you’re pissed but soon everything will be explained.” Said Devlin as he started the car and pulled away from the gas station.

“Yeah shella, stop glaring at poor Dev’s head. His brain has enough problems without you glaring a hole into it.” Said Aron with a laugh

That earned Aron a smile. Just a small smile.

After that I zoned out, thinking about my life. I am so happy that I’m never going to go back to that damn hospital. But who are these fucking people.

I soon fell asleep.

The little girl was back. It was the day before her sixth birthday. The little girl discovered that she could read her parents’ minds and read their emotions long ago, but today she discovered something new.

As the girl played with her dolls, sadly, a little black panther kitten jumped on one of the dolls.

The little girl, thinking her parents listened to her wish, picked up the kitten.

“Did mommy and daddy get you for me?” the little girl asked

“No, you created me.”Replied the kitten

The girl stared wide-eyed at the kitten. “You can talk?!”

“Of course.”

The girl squealed in delight. “Tomorrow I’m going to show you to mommy and daddy.”

The dream ended by someone shaking me awake.

“Raven, Raven wake up.” Said a female’s voice

I opened my eyes to find that the blindfold was gone and that we were parked in front of a small cottage in the middle of the bloody fucking no where. Where the bloody hell are we?!

“Oh good your awake.” Said the voice that woke me

I turned around to find Vivianna standing outside of the car, back door opened waiting for me.

“Come on. Everyone is inside waiting for you.” She said

And that’s when I notice that no one was in the car. I got out and followed her into the cottage.

We were in the living room and it looked like a typical log cabin like the pictures I saw in the magazines at the hospital.
Vivianna walked to the far wall to Claude Monet’s “Le Bassin Aux Nymphèas” most likely a copy though. She pressed a waterlily causing the was to move away reveling a steel door with a fingerprint scanner.

Vivianna looked back at me so I raised an eyebrow at her.

“You aren’t freaked out are you?”

“No, just more curious, oh and pissed, Vivianna.”

“Please call me Vivi.” She said pressing her thumb on the scanner.

The door opened, and we started our walk downstairs. When we reached the third step the door closed.

“So Vivi, what’s going on?”

She sighed. “I wish I could tell you.”

“But you can’t”

She nodded.

We walked in silence down four sets of stairs, eight left turns, six right turns, she opened five doors using thumb/eye/hand scanners and on our way we passed more then thirty or so doors. We ended up in a large metal room. Computers lined the walls, in the middle was a fifteen point star thing. There was sixteen people standing near the star and a handful of people on the computer.

“Hello Raven. I’m Clay, Francis Clay. I run this operation.”

“Who are you? James Bond? And couldn’t your parents pick another name other then Francis?” I said

Vivi slapped my shoulder and Francis’s eyes narrowed a bit. Good I pissed him off.

“Now Raven let me introduce you to your new housemates and new friends.” He said with a fake smile

“No.” I said

He was surprised.

I was pissed. I released my shadows and they wrapped themselves around Francis, Devlin, Vivi, Amami, Aron and around the ten other people who was standing in the middle. They were lifted in the air. I brought Francis to me, he was struggling.

“Listen here Francis.”

He looked at me. His light brown with grey roots hair was a mess. His brown eyes wide with fear.

“I’m fucking sick of these games. I want to know what the fuck is going on.” I said wit a growl

“Rav each of us has a special power.” Said Devlin. “But we aren’t like you. We weren’t born with it like you. We were experimented on.”

“And what does that have to do with me?” I asked

“The one who is in charge of it, is Dr. John Frost.” Said Devlin

“Dr. Idiot?” I asked as I looked at Devlin

He nods. “He took us from our family’s all over the world. He experimented on many but as far as we know only us fourteen were the only ones who survived and as you can see we escaped. He is trying to redo his experiments on us on others and he was trying to use you to succeed.”

I let them go and only Francis landed on his butt, the rest landing on their feet.

“Well I guess if you are going against Dr. Idiot, count me in.