Stalked

Chapter 18

The forensic team take away the roses, leaving the office with a strong scent. Theo looks over as the doctor tends to Amy. Seeing the doctor walking towards him, Theo nods at the team, leaving their company to speak with the doctor.

"Is she ok?" Theo asks, peering over his shoulder at Amy.

"She's fine. Second panic attack. Nothing really that we can do, she seems to be fine until something happens. Just make sure she rests, ok?" Theo nods, thanking him as he leaves.

He walks toward Amy, who is comforted by Lesley, a work colleague. Lesley smiles at at Theo, her face going bright red as she does so. He raises his eyebrow, having noticed that she looks at him very strangely.

"Lesley.." He greets her.

"Hi Theo.. See you back at the office.." She says as she walks quickly past him.

Shrugging off the vibe, he kneels down to Amy's level. She's sitting on her chair, her hands tucked in between her knees. Her eyes look down to the floor, filled with worry.

"You ready to go home?" He asks. Amy's eyes meet his as she nods.

"Come on." He says, taking her hand and helping her out of her seat.

"Amy your phone is ringing." Ashleigh points out, grabbing her phone and passing it to Amy.

"Thanks.." Amy says, looking at the caller ID. Ignoring the call, she hangs up.

"Who was that?" Theo asks, placing his hand on her back as he leads her out.

"My dad." She whispers, frustratedly running her hand through her hair. As they get outside, Theo points to his car with Amy following. Opening the passenger side door, he's curious as to why she didn't answer the call.

"Shouldn't you let him know you're ok?" Theo asks as closes the door after Amy climbs in. As he drives, Amy doesn't answer him.

"The roses have been taken away with the team so.. They'll scan for clues and such." Theo says, breaking the silence between them. He glances at Amy as he stops at a red light.

"So, why didn't you take the call?" Theo asks. His fingers tap on the steering wheel as he glances between the red light and Amy.

"Uh. I can't be bothered telling him. That's all."

"About today?" Theo asks. Hearing Amy sigh, he's sure that she's easily irritable right now.

"About everything." She mumbles under her breath. She folds her arms, her eyes watching the world pass by as Theo drives.

"You mean you haven't told him what's been happening?" He asks, pushing.

"Yep."

"Well, can I ask why?" He asks inquisitively.

Her head rests on the car seat as she glances at him.

"I don't like him to worry." Amy admits. "I guess we don't have the best relationship..it was hard, moving all the time."

Theo sighs, but with relief. He's glad he's not the only one who doesn't get along well with the parents. Knowing that tomorrow is a special day in his family, he tries to push the thought to the back of his mind.

"What about your mother" He asks.

"I don't wanna talk about her." Amy's reply shocks Theo. Not knowing what to say, he's glad they have reached the apartment.

As they leave the elevator into the apartment, Amy kicks off her shoes and sits on the sofa.

"Why don't you call Lisa? Invite her over tonight?" He asks, knowing that she shouldn't be alone.

"I have my date tonight." She reminds him.

"Ah. The date..I don't think that that's a good idea, Amy." He says, waiting for the come back.

"You what? I'm going on my date.." She says, lifting her feet onto the couch.

"I don't think you should. Not after today. I think you just have Lisa over and just chill out."

---

"I don't think you should. Not after today. I think you just have Lisa over and just chill out." Theo barks his orders at Amy, leaving her feeling wound up.

"But I asked you if I could and you said.."

"I know I said you could, but after today it's too risky. You gotta see this from my perspective.." Theo says, hanging up his coat. She watches as he unbuttons the top of his shirt as he always does when he finishes work. He then loosens his tie, and empties his pockets. He walks to his room, and Amy stands up to follow him down the hall.

"Well I don't. It's not like the guy sent the flowers here.. It was my work. He must not know that I'm here." Amy explains as she leans on the doorframe of his bedroom. He unbuttons his shirt, turning round to face Amy. Amy tries to keep her eyes diverted from his chest as his shirt falls open.

"Look, Amy." He says, reaching for a clean white t-shirt. "How do you know he's not watching you?" Amy stutters as she thinks of what to say. It doesn't help that Theo has taken off his shirt. Her eyes finally give in as they travel down, focusing on his tanned bare chest and stomach.

"Well.. I don't. But.."

"And how do you know that it isn't Gavin?" He asks, pulling his t-shirt over his head.

"Are you kidding me?" She asks, laughing. She can't believe that he would think that Gavin could be doing this.

"No I'm not. It could be anybody." Amy leans back on the door frame as Theo walks past her, stopping in front of her before he does so.

"Maybe you should just.. Keep away from the dating world right now." He says in a patronising voice.

Amy's mouth drops open, hearing the nonsense that Theo is speaking, feeling exacerbated, she growls under her breath and storms off.

---

Theo puts his head in his hands as he sits on the stool in the kitchen. It gets to him that she doesn't listen. Only trying to do his job, Theo feels like giving up. His phone rings, and the sight of the name on the caller ID makes him feel worse.

"Hi Mother." He says.

"So you remember me?" She asks sarcastically.

"Yes Mother.." Theo replies.

"Don't give me that tone, son. Why haven't you called? You missed Sunday dinner."

"I know. I've been busy."

"Whatever you say, Theo. So, tomorrow is Alexa's birthday. Or did you forget that too?" She asks, laughing under her breath.

"No, I didn't." Theo says.

"You better have a gift. She is your little sister after all, Theo. Be here tomorrow at two." She hangs up.

Not having bought Alexa a birthday present, he starts to panic.

---

As Amy stares at her phone. A tear running down her face, she considers calling Gavin to cancel. Is Theo right? Instead of calling Gavin, she calls Lisa to ask her round.

"Hey girl!" Lisa answers.

"Hey.." Amy replies, choked up.

"Are you ok? What's happened?"

"At work today, I got sent roses. A lot of roses.. With weird messages.."

After explaining to Lisa about what happened at work, she also asked Lisa's advice about her date tonight with Gavin. Although she didn't get a clear answer from her, she knew that Lisa agrees with Theo. Inviting her over, Lisa tells her she'll be over asap.

Amy's phone rings, her dad calling again. Deciding to get it over with, she answers.

"Hi dad."

"Hi darling. I tried calling earlier.."

"I know. Listen, I have to tell you something."

"Well, I kinda have something to tell you too.."

"Oh. I'll go first dad."

Amy tells her dad the trouble she's in. She hears him as he sighs down the phone. Angry that she didn't tell him sooner, he raises his voice.

"Dad, no need to yell. I got it, you're angry.." She snaps.

"How could you not tell me this? I could have done something!"

"What? All the way from France??" She shouts. Her dad goes silent. Knowing that she has bottled up her feelings and issues towards her dad, and the mood that she is in now, she can feel it all rising to the surface.

"Im sorry that I didn't tell you, ok? I'm sorry that I am that much of a failure that you don't want to live in New York with me. And I must be such a convenience to you right now, ruining your little happy life with your wife. Well you know what, dad? I've managed all these years without you. I'm pretty sure I can take care of it myself!"

She waits for his answer, sobbing.

---

"Im sorry that I didn't tell you, ok? I'm sorry that I am that much of a failure that you don't want to live in New York with me. And I must be such a convenience to you right now, ruining your little happy life with your wife. Well you know what, dad? I've managed all these years without you. I'm pretty sure I can take care of it myself!"

Theo stands outside Amy's bedroom, listening to her harsh words to her dad. He hadn't realised that she had such a turbulent relationship with him. Maybe there's more that meets the eye, with Amy, he thinks.

He hears the door bell ring, and jogs to the hall before Amy finds him spying. Lifting the receiver, he watches the screen.

"Yeah?" He asks, a different security man at the front desk.

"Mr James. Are you expecting Lisa?" He asks.

"Yeah, send her up." He says, glad that Amy agreed to inviting her round.

He waits for the elevator to reach the floor. As it does, he presses the code on the keypad. The lift opens, and Lisa walks in carrying a bottle of wine.

"Hi." She says. Her eyes widen as she looks past Theo.

"You guys are living here??" She asks. He laughs at her reaction.

"Yeah.." He says, pointing to the sofa. She sits down, with Theo sitting next to her.

"Look.. I know Amy probably explained what happened.." Theo says, hoping to get on her good side. She holds up her hand.

"She did. I think you're right. She needs to be careful. I'll talk to her."

Sighing, he sits back.

"I just wish she'd listen to me."

"Well you've not been living together long. But, you should know that Amy is very hard to please sometimes. And she doesn't take no for an answer, she's very stubborn."

"She is.."

"But.. You are stubborn too. Just because you're here, taking care of her doesn't mean that you can order her around like you have been. You need to approach it differently, get it?" She asks.

Realising that he has been a little bossy, he understands.

"Yea.. But, how?" He asks, confused.

"Well.. Get on her sweet side. Be nice to her, talk to her."

---

After her long conversation with her father, and giving him her new address so that he can write to her, Amy hears Lisa's voice. She changes into her comfortable sweats and walks down the hall. She sees Lisa and Theo on the sofa, talking.

"Hey." She says, hugging Lisa and sitting next to her.

"Are you ok hunni?" She asks as she rubs her shoulder.

"Mmhmm.." Amy mumbles. She glances at Theo, noticing his stare.

"So, are there any leads?" Lisa asks, turning to Theo. He shakes his head.

"None so far, this guys good." Theo eyes Amy. Noticing that she changed, he eyes the tight black sweat pants she has on.

"And how do you know it's a guy? Could be a girl stalker.." Lisa jokes. Amy rolls her eyes as she ties her hair back into a high bun.

"Oh please.." She mumbles.

"Well whoever it is, has a huge crush on you." Lisa laughs as she gently pushes Amy.

Not happy with Theo, she pays her attention to Lisa. Noticing, Theo stands as he realises the time. He needs to get ready for his date with Mel.

"I'll leave you two to talk." He offers, walking to his bedroom.

"So, tonight.." Amy says as soon as he leaves. "What should I do?"

"Look, Amy. Don't you think that maybe.. Just maybe.. The big annoying detective is right? You can't even go to work without this guy stalking you. I think that you should take a break, a temporary break."

"Oh what?" Amy asks, throwing her head back onto the sofa."I can't believe this."

"I know.. And you must hate me right now. But please, try to see this from our point of view? I'm worried about you. And you might not see it, but Theo is too. He's not only trying to do his job. He's trying to protect you. And he can't do that all the time."

Thinking about it, Amy realises that both Lisa and Theo are right. She remembers him catching her as she fainted. He's always there when something goes wrong. He was there when she was attacked. Feeling bad, she regrets having argued with him.

"I guess. Do you think I apologise?" Amy asks, referring to Theo.

"Wouldn't hurt.." Lisa agrees. "I'm going to explore.." She says, standing and admiring the apartment. Amy walks down the hall to Theo's room. She knocks his door.

'Come in." She hears him say. She slowly opens the door. She closes the door behind her, leaning back onto it with her hands still holding onto the handle, behind her back.

"I'm sorry." She says.

Theo stands, wondering if he heard her right.

"You were right. I can't carry on thinking that my life is as normal as it was. It's not. If anything it's getting out of control." She says, looking down to the floor.

Theo stands, keeping his distance.

"It's not out of control, just.. Off course, a little."

"Yea.." She whispers. "Anyway. From now I'll try to listen.."

"And I'll try to listen instead of ordering you around. I shouldn't have spoken to you like that. At that crime scene, or tonight, I need to control my temper." He says, scratching his head and laughing lightly.

Amy is shocked to hear him apologise. She smiles, and opens the door.

"Hey uh.. Feel free to pick a movie for tonight.." He says, gesturing to the stack of DVDs.

"Thanks. Do you wanna watch with us?" She asks. Her kindness throws him off a little.

"I can't tonight, I'm going out."

"Ah. Hot date?" She asks, winking. Theo laughs, his face going red,

"Something like that."

"Ok well, have fun."

---

"So what did you tell your dad, after giving him a piece of your mind?" Lisa asks, sipping her wine.

"I just gave him the new address. He says he'll write to me. Whatever.." Amy shakes her head.

"So who is this girl that Theo is seeing?" Lisa asks. Theo left a few hours ago.

"Some girl called Mel. You saw her, at Chris's party."

"Oh, her."

The phone rings, a ring that Amy's never heard before. She and Lisa both look around the room, wondering where the sound is coming from.

"Oh, it's the apartment phone.. Who could be calling?" Amy asks, not getting to the phone on time. It goes to answering machine.

"Hi, Theo. It's uh.. It's Lesley. Lesley Barr? I got the number from the contact sheet. Anyway, I just thought I would call and ask if you maybe wanted to get a drink, sometime?"

Amy's eyes find Lisa's, who's covering her mouth laughing.

"You're probably working though, so.. And you're probably too busy with this case that you've been working on.. I guess."

"Is she talking herself out of it?" Amy asks, laughing over Lesley's voice.

"So.. Call me or I'll see you at work.. It's Lesley by the way.."

Lisa and Amy both burst into laughter.

After Lisa leaves, Amy decides to call it a night. She lies in her bed, listening to the annoying clicking sound.

"To hell with this.." She mutters. She gets out of bed and storms into Theo's room.

"This'll do.." She says, climbing into his bed. Hoping that maybe he'd get lucky and stay over at Mel's, he might not notice that she's been in his bed.

---

After his terrible date with Mel, he is in the elevator of the apartment. Not being able to get Amy or the case out of his head, he called it a night, much to Mel's disapproval. Walking into a dark apartment, he assumes Lisa has went home. Kicking off his shoes as he reaches his bedroom, without turning on the light, he strips down to his boxer shirts and climbs into bed. Pulling the covers, he tugs but there is a weight holding them down.

"What the.." He mumbles. Turning on the bedside lamp, he see's Amy sound asleep next to him. Taken aback, he watches as she sleeps. She lies on her back with her hands resting above her head. Smiling, he remembers when they both shared his bed back at his flat the night she was attacked. He woke up, with Amy in his arms sound asleep. It was the most content he had felt in a long time.

Knowing that he can't stay there, he gets up and goes to Amy's room.

"God damn.." He mutters, holding a pillow over his head to mute the clicking sound. It's been twenty minutes since he lay down on Amy's bed. He furiously punches the pillows, throwing his head back onto them to get comfortable. Finally, he gets out of bed carrying the pillows and covers to the sofa.

---

Amy awakens, comfortable and well rested. She smiles, thankful she got a good nights sleep, finally. As she climbs out of bed she notices Theo's shoes on the floor along with his jeans and shirt.

"Crap.." She whispers. She looks in her bedroom, her covers and pillow missing she creeps into the living room. There, she sees Theo asleep on the sofa. A pillow has fallen to the floor. He lies face down, his arm hanging off the couch.