Status: New! Updating when I can. c:

Tattoos and Trust Issues

The Nerd Herd

Ever since Matt had left the tattoo parlor, the day couldn't have gone fast enough. All Issy could think about was going over to Matt’s and getting to talk to everyone again. She was determined to stay in touch with them this time. She had missed everyone far too much.

As she was gathering her things from the back room, her cell phone began playing The Pride by Five Finger Death Punch, signalling an incoming call. She pulled her phone out of her back pocket and held it between her ear and shoulder. She didn't even need to look at the screen to know who it was. Only one person called her every day after work.

“Beth, you need to hurry up and come home. Guess who showed up at work today. Matt, as in Matthew Sanders. And Zack was with him.”

No way! How is everyone?” Beth’s usually jubilant voice sounded exhausted. She probably had just gotten to her hotel.

“They’re good. I’m actually going to a little party thingamay at Matt’s place as soon as I go home and get changed. I’ll let you know if I find out anything big that’s happened. How was work?”

Beth groaned, and Issy could tell that she had an annoyed look on her face. “Fucking stupid assistants. When I ask for twelve models, I want twelve models, not ten or eleven or thirteen. It was a mess. I’m just super glad that the show is tomorrow and I can finally come home on Saturday, ugh.” She sighed softly. “I’m gonna let you go though. I’m super exhausted. I’ll text you when I get up, promise.

“Alright, that’s fine. Try not to stress over things too much tomorrow, alright? Everything’s gonna be fine, I promise. Get some sleep, love you!”

Beth chuckled softly. “Love you too, you nerd.”

And with that, Issy hit the end button and shoved her phone back into her pocket. Taylor, the owner of the tattoo shop, walked in through the doors just as she was walking out.

“Hey! Issa, I was just coming in to talk to you. Can you work Cristal’s shift on Saturday? You’d get paid double for working over time,” she asked, pushing her long brown hair behind her ear.

Taylor was a nice girl. She was a few years older than Issy, and stood at about six foot with dark hair that came down to her waist. She was covered in tattoos, and had an extremely small waist.

“I wish I could, but Beth comes home Saturday and I've already promised that I’d take her out to celebrate. Sorry, maybe Joey could cover for her? I know that he was asking for overtime last week,” she replied, shrugging.

“It’s fine, thanks though. I’ll ask him,” she said. Taylor gave Issy a quick hug, before walking to the back of the shop.

Now that it had already been ten minutes past the time that Issy promised to be at Matt’s, she decided against going home to freshen up. Instead, she reapplied her makeup in the car and exchanged her heels for the pair of black high top Converse that were always in the back seat of her car.

By the time she arrived at Matt’s, her nerves were running wild. All she could think about was reminiscing with them about their high school years over a few drinks. It had been almost two years since they had hung out like this, all that was missing now was Beth. And, no matter who or what was around, Issy would always feel incomplete without her best friend by her side. Still, she wouldn't let that distance ruin today.

“She’s here!” The familiar voice was like music to Issy’s ears. Leana opened the gate that lead to the backyard, and ran towards Issy as fast as she could. Once she finally reached her, she threw her arms around the girl’s neck and nearly knocked her over.

Issy couldn't help but laugh. “Le! Ohmygod, I've missed you so much!” She hugged the smaller girl tightly, the biggest grin plastered on her face.

“You look good, Iss!” She held her at arms length, taking in how much she had changed. She hadn't grown much in height, but neither had Leana. Her hair was about the same length that it had been, except now it was a dark red color, in perfect curls, and washed. She didn't look much different, but god was she beautiful.

“You too! Ugh, look at you! Still cute as ever,” she complimented, giggling.

“Of course, of course,” Leana laughed, and hooked her arm with Issy’s and walked her into the backyard where everyone was sat around the pool, drinking beers and laughing about whatever the topic was.

Jimmy was the first one to greet her, all bubbly and ecstatic as usual. “Aw, look at you! You’re still so tiny!” He commented, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist and picking her up to hug her.

“Shut up you giant, I’m a completely normal height!” She retorted, laughing.

Everyone hugged Issy, besides Zacky who didn't even stand up to greet her. He just sat around the table, a beer in his hand. No one mentioned that he did, though.

"Aw, look at us. The nerd herd is reunited," Issa teased, making everyone laugh.

"Can you really separate the herd though? We're immortal," Johnny said, shrugging.

"Exactly. And we're not losing any more members ever again, got it?" Matt warned, pointing a menacing finger at her playfully.

"Do you want something to eat?" Val asked, laying a gentle hand on Issy's shoulder. "Matt just made chicken. And there's fruit in the kitchen, too."

"Fruit would be nice. I actually don't eat meat anymore," she confessed, hoping not to come off as annoying.

"What? No way! You're a vegetarian now? You, of all people?" Brian questioned, a look of shock in his face.

Issy laughed. "Does it surprise you that much? I just wanted a change. It was a random decision," she said, shrugging. There wasn't any real significance behind it.

"Fruit it is. C'mon, I'll show you the game room. We just remodeled," Val said, grabbing Issy's wrist and dragging her inside. Leana followed close behind.

As Val began preparing a bowl of fruit for her, Leana began a conversation. "Do you have anything to do tonight?"

Issy shrugged. "Not really. I'll probably just go home and watch Netflix until Beth texts me once she gets up," she answered.

"Where is she? I thought she would have come with you," Val added.

"Paris. I'm sure you both know that she's like famous in the fashion world now. She travels a lot. Not always my cup of tea but it's cool, she's doing what makes her happy," Issy said, a small smile on her face.

She truly was happy that Beth was doing exactly what she wanted to ever since she was a kid. But, with Beth gone so often, things could get lonely. That's part of the reason that she almost always worked over time at the shop, it kept her mind off of things.

"Is it alright it I come stay with you, then? Jimmy might want to come too. We've got nothing to do and we've both missed you so much, Iss," Leana asked.

"Yeah, that'd be fun. We can even dye my hair and watch movies and drink and dance around my kitchen just like we used to," she said, giggling. "It'd be nice to have someone to hang out with while Beth's away, ya know?"

"Well, you're always welcome here whenever you need anyone," Val said, her voice warm and sincere.

"Thanks, I really do appreciate it," she said, laughing softly. It was nice to know that she was missed just as much as they had been.

"Okay, so you're really gonna like the game room," Val said, handing Issy the bowl of fruit and leading her upstairs.

It was nice to just be spending time with the girls again. And once Beth got home, Issy knew that she would be happier than she could have ever imagined.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter. I should be able to update either tomorrow or Wednesday...it's undecided yet. And, a lot more confrontation between Issa and Zacky occurs in the next chapter, so stay tuned. :p