Status: In Process

Chicago Is so Two Years Ago

Babbling Bumbling Band of Baboons

“The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost… A dance!” Some students groaned in fear while other laughed it off as a joke, which annoyed her, so she continued. “Silence! The school of Hogwarts Witchcraft and Wizardry has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!” Now everyone laughed. “Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight. Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley, will you join me?” Professor McGonagall ended her metaphor and stopped pacing in front of Ron Weasley from Gryffindor, forcing him up from his seat. Everyone watched as McGonagall pulled him up to dance and began to explain what he was doing. “Now, place your right hand on my waist!” She told Ron, everyone roared out in laughter.

“W-where-e?” Ron stuttered, looking freaked out.

“My waist!” She said once more, forcing his hand on her waist. Everyone just laughed out even more than before; some even gave out a wolf whistle. I could not contain myself; I let out a whistle knowing everyone would hear it. I laughed out loud and McGonagall looked at me in the crowd of students, she rolled her eyes. I saw her crack a smile and wink at me as Ron twirled her around the room; I knew she got a kick out of embarrassing students.

Monday was finally here, meaning it was now the week of the Yule Ball and Christmas Eve. The month of December has gone by fast, but this winter break has gone by so slowly. Students headed to Hogsmeade to prepare themselves for the Yule Ball on Sunday, I decided not to go because I knew I would gloat the entire trip. Cedric and I have seen each other plenty of times already over the break, but he still has not mentioned the Yule Ball. Not even once. I was pacing the halls of Hogwarts because I seemed to be the only one still on the school grounds.

“HEY!” Someone shouted from behind, I did not catch the voice.

“What?” I muttered, stopping myself from pacing. I waited for them to catch up to me; I turned over and saw Cedric standing besides me. I looked up at him and crossed my arms; I did not know how I felt about him. We still were not dating; I have not heard even one word about Cho and his relationship status. I had no idea what to do in this situation; I was very conflicted and even a little upset. I knew I could not let it go on like this anymore.

“Ellie, it has been four months since we both told each other how we felt. I was an idiot and kept putting it off because I believed that we weren’t ready, that it wasn’t the right time. Ellie, I love you very, very much; but I have to ask you something very important!”

“Oh, Cedric…” I said looking at him with a worried expression upon my face, I was thinking of what he was going to ask me before he spoke again. I was a bit worried, I did not know what to expect, so I asked. “What’s up?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Fact #17: Only fourth year and above students were permitted to attend the Yule Ball, although younger students could go if an older student invited them as a date.