Green Eyes Dont Lie

oo9

"So what happened?!" Val questioned handing me a glass of wine sitting next to me on the outdoor couch., she and I sat out side with the sun setting around the fire pit in need of what Val calls
'Solid Girl Time' which involved wine.
"Nothing! We kissed that it I swear" I said giggling over my friends insane excitement she raised an eyebrow at me and tucked her knees up sitting to face me
"You mean to tell me Alexandrea Diane Simmons best friend in all the land did not jump on a mount Zack Baker like your teenage self once did?" Val asked laughing a little, the wine was getting to both of our heads but these nights where few and far between and I cherished them.
"That is correct, I called, he picked me up, we had a few drinks, we kissed and I woke up in his bed he was asleep in the guest room" I said rolling my eyes at her. Val gave me a skeptical look trying to see if I was in fact lying to her. The logs crackled as flames danced around and I had a sad feeling gnawing in my stomach.
"Do you think it would work this time? Zack and I; I mean" I said sipping my wine looking over Val as she looking in fire then up at the night sky.
"I think you two have always been meant to be just it didn't work out the first time ya know? We were all young" She said giving me a comforting smile
"You and Matt worked out" I said looking up at the stars pin point out the big and little dipper also Ursa major. A husky laugh broke our attention towards the back door and Matt was standing there laughing at us
"She really didn't give me a choice" He said coming around and taking a seat next to his wife giving her a loving side hug and a kiss on her shoulder.

"Laughing is rude and so is crashing girls night, don't you have songs to write or something?" I asked pouring my self more wine and toping off Val's
"And you love me anyway" Val added patting Matt's cheek., he kissed her and retreated back inside taking bella with him claiming he needed a tv companion.

"I think Zack's problem was fame had just hit and he was scared his world was changing in so many ways, now I'm not making excuses for him love him like a brother but he could have handled it better then what he did" She said poking the fire with the fire poker.
I swallowed my wine thinking back to almost 10 years ago when Zack and I had a falling out that caused both of us to walk away, He was going on tour and I was left in California alone and pregnant.
"Yeah the whole no calling or talking to me in general was a real dick move" I said biting back some choice words
"But..you didn't answer my question" I said leaning towards her as she looked up at me through her hair
"You both are older, have been through different things but I feel like both of you are meant for one another for some unknown reason you two always come back to one another, do you remember my wedding?" I laughed much over her wedding was a blur to me due to the 9 am mimosas and then the open bar after the ceremony.
"Vaguely but yes which part?" I asked pulling at a string on my shirt
"The part that you and Zack danced together to several slow songs and if I remember correctly you both were happy and I can safely say he's never looked at a woman like he dose you; you carry your self better higher I suppose you have this air about you-"
"Yeah that says 'Assholes apply with in'" I cut her off thinking back on the 3 guys I had since been with post-Zack.
"Beautiful woman attract assholes, I have one sitting in my house currently" she said pointing to the door that Matt had appeared and retreated to the house after we shooed him away. We both laughed.

Nights like this restore some hope, and gives me a better since of why I Val and I are such good friends.
"I'm pretty sure I lost my job though that type of thing can't happen at work and that was a little to close for comfort in my book" I said reflecting on the previous nights events at work.
"How did that even happen?" Val asked dumping the rest of the wine in our glasses
"Not a clue but I can't have it happen again" I said chugging the rest of my wine. Val's eyes the size of dinner plates
"Easy killer" she muttered sipping from her glass.

Later that night I laid in bed listening to the soft wind and the waves rolling in, Something Val said had stuck with me and I couldn't shake it, she was adamant about Zack and I and I had always secretly harbored some hope that it would one day happen again.