The Perfect Combination

Chapter 26

"Who’s your favorite auntie?" Marian asks our daughter as I slid my top on properly.

Me and the twins have been back home for a week now and like most new mother’s, I’ve had to deal with a streamline of both mine and Sergio’s family popping in announced.

"Have you guys still not decided on names?" she berates me as we start to walk out of the nursery and out into the hall.

"We’re going with Baby 1 and Baby 2 for now" I tease as she gives me a look.

"What? I’m joking." I say more seriously as we reach the bottom of the stairs. "Sergio promised after the Champions league final, we would definitely sit down and discuss baby names"

I assure her when we finally reach the kitchen. She put's my daughter down on the push chair that is located in the kitchen.

"But that’s three days away" she whines, as if it’s her child who has not been given a name.

"I know but we want to be very careful in naming our children. Imagine if we called them Apple or Pilot? They would never survive that kind of teasing" I explain to her as I hand her bottled water and sit in the chair opposite hers.

"You know…if your struggling for girl names…" she begins.

"NO" I state firmly before she continues "we are not naming her after you"

She clicks her tongue at me and I laugh at her childish reaction.

"So you and Sergio…" she starts up again following a brief silence.

"What about us?" I answer back, trying to act innocent.

She sees my play acting but still speaks her mind.

"Has he…You know?! Proposed" she asks with a hopeful expression.

"Nope" I say without batting an eyelid and her jaw drops.

"Well that son of a…"

"Ey. There’s a child next to you" I reprimand her as I point to the little girl sleeping so peacefully.

"Why hasn’t he asked you? Is he chickening out? Coz I swear if he is I will personally kill him with my own bare hands" she declares while raises her arms.

I laugh at her before I answer.

"Look Mari, there’s no rush. We’ve just had two children and that’s a big enough responsibility. Maybe when things calm down a bit or when the kids are a little older, we’ll finally both get it together and he’ll make an honest woman out of me" I tell her rationally as she shakes her head.

"I don’t like that his taking his time on this" she admits as she runs her hand through her hair. "But I do understand where you both are coming from. I’ll wait… for now. But if that idiot brother of mine doesn’t ask you soon, I will kill him" she states while wagging a finger at me.

~

"Can you say I-k-e-r?"

"No I can’t. I’m a week old" I tell Iker as I take my son away from him. "I’m sorry buddy" I say as I put him on my chest "Did uncle Iker scare you?" I ask as Iker punches my arm.

I rub my arm where he has just punched me before he speaks up.

"So what are you doing here? You’ve barely been able to drag yourself away from your little family since they’ve been home" he asks me as he takes my son away from me again.

"It’s about Lia" I begin, but before I can even finish he interrupts me.

"Oh my God Sergio. You couldn’t keep it in your pants? I can’t believe you…" he starts ranting but I interrupt him.

"No idiot" I say as I clip his ears. "I want to ask her to marry me" I tell him as he rubs his ear.

He smiles at my statement before he speaks again.

"So what do you need me to do?" he asks like an old lady who is finally marrying off his unwanted son.

"Firstly, help me pick a ring, help me plan the perfect proposal and well you know" I finish off lamely.

"Oh my dear Sergio" he says dramatically as he crosses his legs with my son on his lap. "How that woman finds you even remotely romantic is beyond me"

"Hey I can be romantic" I try to justify as Iker rolls his eyes.

"Whatever" he says dismissively and we get back to my engagement dilemma. "So what’s her birth stone?" he questions when the discussions of rings is brought up.

"Her birth what?" I answer dumbfounded at his question.

He rolls his eyes at me before he turns my son towards him.

"You better hope you inherit your father’s looks but your mother’s brains or you are in trouble buddy"

~

"Honey we’re home" I declare as we walk into the living room.

"Welcome back father and son" she says with a smile as she juggles our daughter on her lap.

I give both my girls kisses before I sit down.

"How’s Iker?" she asks as she lays her head on my shoulder.

"Whiny, rude and insensitive"

"So nothing’s changed?" she jokes.

"Lia", I call her as I break the silence that has descended over us.

"Mmmmm?"

"Uhm. I know we said we’d wait until after the final to discuss baby names but, uhhm, I was hoping we could do it now?" I ask her as she lifts her head of my shoulder.

"Any ideas?" she questions me without putting up a fight.

"Well, Uhm. How about Jose Fernando Ramos y Ramirez?" I suggest as she raises an eyebrow.

"Fernando?"

"Yeah" I say as I scratch my neck "I know things were difficult between us when you were pregnant, but the situation has changed now. We’re almost back to the friends that we used to be and I really like the name" I go off in a speech, trying to justify my position.

"I like it" she says with a smile. "But who’s gonna break it to Iker? I pretty sure he thought we were gonna name him" she says while looking at our son, "after him" she finishes of by referring to the captain.

"Ahh leave that man to me" I declare in an authoritative tone "I have bigger plans for him".

"Godfather duties?" she asks and I nod.

She giggles at my admission.

"Trying to take the baby heat off Sara?"

"Yeah" I answer in between laughs "I figure if he has Jose to look after he’ll stop pestering her for a baby"

"You’re an evil man Sergio Ramos" she states as she shifts around on the sofa.

When she has found a comfortable position she speaks.

"Maybe we could call her Salma Pacqui Ramos y Ramirez?" she asks while playing with our daughter fingers.

"It’s perfect" I reply to her suggestion and we both smile at it each.

"Well that was easy" she jokes as I kiss her "Now if only getting these two sleep was that simple"

"You know I could always sing them a lullaby?" I offer, when I see Jose yawn.

"We are trying to get them to sleep, not stay up all night having nightmares" she answers me and I am offended.

"Hey, I’ll have you know… I have a very good singing voice. Need I remind you that I have a single with Canelita?" I tell her with a sense of arrogance.

"Oh my gosh. The man lets you sing one verse in a song that no one but your fans like and suddenly you think you’re Justin Timberlake" she mocks me, while standing up with Salma in her arms and heading for the kitchen.

"That song was very good" I say as I pick up Jose and follow her out "And so is my singing. Don’t be jealous just because Beyoncé has yet to call you back about you’re so called ‘collaboration’" I counter her argument as we both remain in the kitchen and continue or childish argument.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...