The Perfect Combination

Chapter 9

Sergio’s POV

Three days had passed since my conversation with Alvaro and the more I thought about it the more I realized that what he said was right. If I wanted to be involved in my kid’s life I’d have to show Lia that I was serious about being a dad rather than just telling her. So when she mentioned during one of our telephonic conversations that she had a doctor’s appointment to find out the sex of the baby, I jumped at the chance to accompany her. She had decided to stay with her mom during her brief visit to Madrid so I offered to fetch her from her mom’s house and take her to the hospital.

We were patiently waiting for Dr Lorenzo to join us when Natalia brought up the Salma topic.

"So, how’s Salma?” she asked sweetly.

"I think she’s good", I answered hoping that she wouldn’t ask any more questions. I hadn’t told her that we had called it quits after she threw a shoe at my head when I told her that yes, her butt did in fact look big in the dress she wearing.

"That’s good. And the team?” she said obviously just making conversation until the doctor arrived.

"Same old, same old. Except Iker", she raised an eyebrow at this, "Sara says she’s not ready to have children yet so his walking around like a lost puppy.”

She merely laughed at this, knowing that Iker’s biological clock seemed to tick louder than any woman they had ever known. But before she could comment on this, Dr Lorenzo walked into the room with a smile on his face.

"Aah Mr. and Mrs. Ramos", he addressed them.

"Dr Lorenzo, must we do this every time", Lia asked with a smirk on her face.

He merely shrugged as if trying to ignore what she said.

"So? What can I do for you today?” he enquired eagerly.

"Uhm, she’d like to find out the sex of the baby", I answered for Lia, hoping she’d notice how I’d taken initiative. She just nodded to reaffirm my statement.

"Oh that should not be a problem then. Mrs. Ramos, uhem, I mean Ramirez, just go into that little room to go get changed and we can then get started on the sonogram."

Lia did what she was told with no objects and was soon laying on the bed and having gel put on her stomach.

"We have to hear the baby’s heartbeat before anything else", Dr Lorenzo explained.

Once the heart beat was audible on the machine, the Dr went about explaining where everything was and once he got to left hand side of the screen he paused as if examining something.

His silence seemed to startle Lia but before she could say anything, I asked,

"Is something wrong?"

A brief silence descended before the doctor continued, “Well it seems like there may have been a miscalculation on my behalf Ms. Ramirez.”

"What does that mean? Is something wrong?” she asked, panic evident in her voice.

"Oh no no", he reassured he.

"Then what’s happening?” I asked while trying to keep my thundering heart under control.

"It seems like there is more than one baby growing in there", the Dr said with a smile.

"WHAT?!” we both said in unison.

"Congratulations Ms. Ramirez, you are having twins".

*

Natalia’s POV

"You’re having a boy and a girl", Dr Lorenzo continued but I was too dazed to focus on anything that was coming out of his mouth.

"Go get changed and we’ll have a discussion about how your dietary needs and work load will need to change in order to make this a smooth pregnancy. I did as I was told: got changed, sat down with the Doctor to discuss the changes in my diet and even made an appointment for my next checkup.

It wasn’t until I got into Sergio’s car that I realized I hadn’t said a word since I realized there was more than 1 person growing in more.

"Lia? You OK?” Sergio asked with concern etched on his face.

"I’m hav…I’m having twins", I said hesitantly, still adjusting to the news. Sergio nodded as if that was assurance enough to make me feel better.

"No Sergio, you don’t understand. I’m having twins. I’m going to have raise two babies by myself, without any help". I noticed he flinched at that comment before he offered words of comfort.

"You won’t be by yourself. You have your mom, Terry and me"

"I have you three to help me now but once the twins are born I’m all by myself. You’ll be here in Madrid enjoying your responsibility-less life and mom can’t give up her life just to tend to my needs. Don’t even get me started on Terry, she doesn’t want children of her own so I doubt she’ll want to be around mine", I rambled as the situation I was now in dawned on me.

I had finally got what I wanted, a child - scratch that - two children to call my own but for the first time in my life I was questioning if I’d be able to handle the responsibility all on my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...