‹ Prequel: Iron Maiden
Sequel: Paradise
Status: in progress

The Bird

Chapter 5

From where I stood while the curator gave his speech, I could see him come down the stairs. I tried not to stare at him because I could feel something off about him.

As he neared the bottom of the stairs, one of the guards tried to stop him, but the man whacked him in the face with his cane, drawing the crowds attention to him.

He grabbed the curator, dragging him to a piece of art shaped like a lion in the middle of the room before flipping him onto the top. He then took a piece of equipment and began, what looked like, digging out his eyeball. The crowd began running and screaming but I stayed where I was, knowing going outside would be the worst idea.

I watched as the man strode calmly outside, his suit melting away to gold armor, a helmet with horns on the top adorning his head. His cane grew to a wicked looking staff. I followed slowly behind him, outside to the panic ridden streets. I hid behind one of the flower pots near the entrance, was watching as a blue light shot out of the staff, flipping the oncoming police car.

The man seemed to multiply and surround a crowd of people, trapping them in a circle.

"I said, kneel!" The man shouted and everyone dropped to their knees on the pavement. I knew making a run for it would just draw attention to myself and that was the last thing I needed to do right now, so I stayed put. He began walking among the crowd of kneeling people. "Is not this simpler? Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity, that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy, a mad scramble for power, for identity. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel."

One brave man stood up, turning to the psychopathic man.

"Not to men like you."

"There are no men like me."

"There are always men like you."

The psychotic one lifted his spear. "Look to your elder, people. Let him be an example."

I held my breath, knowing the older man was going to die.

But something jumped in front of him, blocking the blast, sending it right back to the psychotic man.

I watched as a man wearing red white and blue with a shield stood up. I knew immediately who he was.

Captain America.

"You know, the last time I was in Germany, and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing."

I knew that voice. Oh god, I had dreamed of Captain America. But I thought he was dead....

"The soldier. The man out of time."

The psychotic man got back to his feet.

"I'm not the one who's out of time."

A jet suddenly flew into the square, a gun dropping out of the bottom.

"Loki, drop the weapon and stand down." A female voice said.

Loki. So that was the guys name.

Loki shot at the jet but it avoided the blast and Captian America threw his shield at Loki. The crowd dispersed as the two went at it. I knew could've run at that moment. I could've made it back to the hotel safely, but I was transfixed by watching Loki and Captain America fight.

I had just got it in me to make a run for it when Shoot to Thrill began to play. I stopped in my tracks.

My dad flew out of the sky, blasting Loki back into the stairs before landing on the ground, leaving a small crater in the brick. Always one to make a big entrance.

He held his hands up, several types of blasters popping out of his armor.

"Make your move, Reindeer Games." Loki held his hands up, his armor disappearing. "Good move."

I walked closer to my dad and Captain America.

"Mr. Stark."

"Captain."

"Dad?"