Status: Active, Please be Kind <3

Octoberwood

Chapter Seven “Information”

Chapter Seven
“Information”

“You should get us more free shopping trips and spa days more often”.
Lacey grinned at me as we walked through the massive shopping center. We were surrounded by countless people who had no idea that we were witches, which meant there were no hunters anywhere close to where we were. I hadn’t experienced Hunters beyond the day they showed up at my house to kill me. And still the name Isis spoke to me rang in my mind Vincent Kendrick. Apparently he was the brains of the organization as far as the hunters went. My mind was racing with all kinds of unanswered questions which meant I was focused less on having fun and more on gathering information.

I hadn’t asked the girls about what it was like in the government servants building they were housed in forced to work without status. I hadn’t asked because I didn’t want to bring up a bad memory. Judging by their personalities I knew that Amanda and Zoey were out of the question as far as gathering information. They seemed like they would take it hard and it would be really traumatic for them. I looked between Ashlyn and Lacey. Lacey seemed more likely to be angry about the questions I’d have to ask. Which left Ashlyn. She seemed more level headed.

We entered the woman’s clothing department in Target the girls going around rummaging through the clothes trying to find something that looked more expensive than it actually was. I caught hold of Ashlyn’s sleeve. Looking back at me confused I watched as understanding washed over her face.
“You have questions”.

I nodded to her lowering my hand now and letting her sleeve go. We found a place to sit in the shoe department while the girls laughed and found things to try on.
“So, what’s on your mind?”
Ashlyn was very calm it made me feel better to know she was ok with all this. I’d never been one to dig for information but now, it was like a responsibility of mine.
“How did you end up in the government building at school?”
I asked watching the color leave Ashlyn’s face she turned herself away from me folding her hands in her lap. It took a while before she began to speak again.

“My major is blood magic, the ability to use blood to summon souls back from the dead, it also gives me a powerful form of magic that goes beyond the dark arts. Because I am a danger to others, my family was killed and I was given a drug that prevented me from being placed in a covenant. Once that happened, we are taken to that awful building and beaten until we take an oath never to use magic unless the unlikely event of a new coven arriving happens and we are chosen by its founder”.
Ashlyn explained looking back at me. She kept her hands folded in her lap but I knew she was scared at the memories of what she experienced.

“We are all seen as a danger, well all of us but Zoey. Amanda is a warrior witch skilled in the dark arts and combat. Lacey is the most dangerous, since she has the ability to take free will away from others. She’s a rebel witch. And has the ability to rally others to any cause she sees fit.”
I frowned at her then turned towards my friends as they laughed trying on different hats and taking photos on their cell phones like normal teenage girls.

“Why was Zoey with you?”
I asked looking back to Ashlyn. She shook her head watching the girls as I was.
“No idea, she doesn’t like to talk about it. Zoey is a Mystic witch, she’s aligned with the stars, she holds the power of the planets within her”.
Ashlyn explained. Lacey turned to us and smiled.
“What are you two doing? We still have to hit up some other stores before sundown”.
Lacey called across to Ashlyn and I. Ashlyn smiled at her getting to her feet.
“Just checking out some awesome boots”.
Ashlyn replied. It drew the girls towards us and we were caught up in their carefree fun. But Ashlyn’s eyes caught sight of my deep in thought expression. She took my arm.
“Krissi this way, I think I saw some flats that would look great on you”.
Ashlyn said as a cover as we moved one row over.

“You’re going to do something aren’t you?”
She asked. I crossed my arms looking to Ashlyn not sure if I wanted to reveal my plan to her. Isis made me her eyes and ears, and I knew there was more to this government building creating slaves out of dangerous witches and warlocks. Something sick in my stomach told me there was a connection between these government buildings and the hunters. But I couldn’t involve anyone else in my plans. I’d be in enough trouble on my own.

“I’m going to tell Quartz I’m ready for testing”.
I stated with a smile looking back at a pair of cute biker boots I found. They were a good destruction from Ashlyn’s hard but concerned expression.
“Are you serious? Quartz got that put off until summer break!”
Ashlyn began sounding like a concerned mother. Something I was not use to. It called Zoey, Amanda and Lacey around the corner to join this scolding she was giving me.
“For god sake Krissi do you even know what testing involves? What’s happened to others who have been “tested” “

Amanda looked scared moving towards us now.
“What? Wait, Krissi are you moving up your testing”?
Amanda began. I turned to face them and sighed crossing my arms.
“I’ll be fine. There’s nothing wrong with getting this test over with and putting it behind me”.
Zoey frowned taking Ashlyn’s arm as she looked ready to cry.
“Krissi, no one has ever lived through testing, it’s how the government keeps a wrap on people who are meant to be more than just witches and warlocks”.

I smiled at their concern lowering my arms.
“It’s alright, I’ll be fine”.
I assured them. The staff member who was supervising our little outing caught up with us and let us know it was time to get back to Octoberwood. We walked to the parking lot together but were silent on our stroll. I knew the girls were all scared now about my revelation. But I didn’t know any other way to get into the government building. Upon arriving back at school I started back to the main building to talk with Quartz. I paused seeing Ashlyn starting towards the warlock dorm building.

“Ash?”
I questioned, she looked back at me and smiled.
“I’m doing a project with one of the warlocks. I need to ask him a question”.
She waved walking on while the other girls rushed back to the girl’s dorm building. I frowned at Ashlyn’s back feeling like there was something more to her going in that direction then I knew. But I wasn’t going to banter with her over it. I walked into the main building and headed to Quartz’s office. Tapping on the door I waited and it wasn’t long before I heard her voice call from inside.

“Enter”.
I walked into the office looking around. It was more like a luxury apartment building, there was nothing ominous or intimidating about it. Quartz smiled at me as I entered.
“Ah, your back. How was your day?”
She asked patting the open space next to her on the couch as if inviting me to sit down. I sat next to her and gave a deep breath before speaking.
“I want to go for testing as soon as possible”.
Quartz paled as the other girls did.
“Krissi, are you serious about this?”
I nodded to her keeping my hands folded in my lap. I wasn’t going to tell her anymore then I had my friends. The less they all knew the better.
“I’m positive, as soon as possible”.

Quartz sighed placing her hands over mine.
“I don’t think”.
She began but the door to the office opened and a mean looking woman entered dressed in a Victorian style dress. Her eyes narrowed at Quartz.
“I hope you are not withholding this young witches right’s to be tested Lady Quartz, I’d hate to have this place purged”.
The woman said. Quartz narrowed her eyes back at the woman rising to her feet.
“Madam Lux, you have no right to come into my sanctuary and tell me how to run things. Your jurisdiction is the dilapidated government building behind the trees. You have no power here”.
I looked between Quartz and the older woman who had a nose like a bird’s beak. The woman laughed at Quartz.
“This is a government matter and I have jurisdiction over all government matters”.
She turned back to me with her mean beady eyes.
“I will have arrangement’s made first thing in the morning you will be taken to the government building and undergo testing”.

Lux said as she turned back to Quartz with an evil smile.
“I assume you and your staff will be remaining here with the other students. Since they are your priority and not this single student who may or may not be beyond gifted”.
Quartz was tense her eyes narrowed at Lux as she waddled from the room. Quartz looked at me frowning as she sat down on the couch.
“Answer only the questions you are asked, don’t tell them anything more then what they need to know”.

Quartz began giving me the feeling I should be taking notes.
“The simulations are illusions of your mind. You are in control no matter what they tell you, don’t eat or drink anything before the simulations find a way to make it look like you have though”.
Quartz continued. I nodded to her taking all of her advice in.
“Don’t move too fast when they have you run the gauntlet. Take your time but don’t be too slow either. And if you make it to the final phase. Just think about everyone who loves you, and everyone you love”.

Quartz said tears coming to her eyes. I nodded and then was enveloped in a tight hug. I hugged her back giving the best smile I could muster.
“I will. I promise. Everything will be fine”.
I assured her. I got up and filed out of the room walking back to my dorm when I saw him. Brian stood outside my room looking pissed and scared.

“Are you fucking kidding me? You’re going to testing?”
He growled. I frowned knowing why Ashlyn had been going to the warlock building now. She’d told Brian about my choice to take the testing early. And I couldn’t lie to him, not even if my life depended on it.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3