Two Worlds Apart

Chapter Four: The Fourth Princess

“The princesses!” Someone shouted as the whole city gathered toward the main street that led the way to the palace. People cheered throwing confetti toward the beautiful princesses. The first, was the princess from Lower Egypt with shoulder length black hair and chocolate brown eyes. She slightly waved but kept her head held high as she was carried within a luxurious carriage by four muscled men.

The second princess lived in the grand city of Rome with golden hair that shined like the sun and hazel green eyes. She adored the peoples cheering as she blew kisses to everyone who had locked eyes with her. She rode in with five white Trojan horses, pulling a white and gold carriage.

The last princess, who came from Syria, wasn’t at all impressed with the welcoming. Her arms crossed with her eyes glaring forward. She had mid-back auburn hair, known to be rare for her people, and golden eyes. She was hidden within a closed carriage for no one was to lay eyes upon her. Out of all the princesses, she was the most intimidating for many countries and kingdoms fought for their alliance.

As the princesses passed the crowd grew silent, but then whispered among themselves when a fourth princess appeared but she had no guards, no special carriage. All she had was a black horse, trotting slowly behind the parade. Ysera couldn’t handle this sort of pressure anymore, she only could manage smiling softly to anyone she made eye contact with.

‘Your name is Anabell’ she repeated constantly in her head as they reached the palace. The princesses making their way to the front doors of the palace. Anabell followed suit earning strange glances from the princesses. “No one said there’d be a fourth one” the princess from Lower Egypt muttered to herself. Before anything else was said, the double doors open to reveal a high priest with sharp cold eyes. “This way please” he ordered in a stern voice as they followed him down the main hallway.

Anabell gazed around in amazement at the building’s beauty while the others ignored it, seeing it as an everyday thing. They had all made it to the throne room where none other than Atem sat upon it, gazing toward the princesses with unease. Anabell blushed, she couldn’t believe she was really doing this.

Atem stood up, walking down the steps to meet with the princesses. “Welcome” he greeted with charm in his voice. The high priest, she learned during their walk as Seto, introduced each princess as Atem greeted each. Atem first walked up to the princess of Lower Egypt, “This is Sara, Princess of Lower Egypt” she blushed giving a small bow, “My Pharaoh” she spoke just like a royal would. Atem nodded, “Welcome to my palace” He kissed her hand, making his way to the next princess.

“This is Aphrodite, Princess of Rome” She winked when Atem locked eyes with her as she curtsied, “It is very good to meet you” he spoke. “Pleasure is all mine” Her voice was surly alluring to any man’s ear. Anabell felt her name truly did fit her appearance. Atem cleared his throat, obviously slightly effected by the way she spoke.

When Atem reached the third princess, she neither bowed nor curtsied. She simply held out her hand as Seto introduced her, “This is Natalia, Princess of Syria”. Atem was slightly bewildered by her actions as he softly kissed her hand, “Welcome to my kingdom princess”. “Charmed” she replied, she surly thought high of herself.

Atem quickly left her to finally face Anabell whose breath was caught in her throat. She wasn’t used to seeing Atem in this angle, he was a bit taller than her this time instead of her towering him. He smiled down at her, seeing a blush creep on her pale cheeks. Atem waited for an introduction but none came as he glanced toward Seto, only seeing a confused look upon his eyes.

“I’m sorry” Anabell spoke up, her cover would surely be blown if she didn’t do something. Everyone turned to her, taking a deep breath in she continued, “I am from the Crystal Empire from across the sea. We are aren’t very well known since we are so far and secluded but when message came about this event I felt it was needed. Tis would greatly help our kingdom from falling. I understand if you want me to leave”.

She gulped nervously, waiting for them to throw her out but Atem’s smile only grew more, “We would do no such thing. You are welcomed to stay and thank you coming all this way. You must really care for you kingdom”. Anabell smiled, nodding her head, fearing to say more in case of saying something that could screw all this up.

“We shall show you to your rooms then” Atem announced as he walked down the hall, the princesses following suit. They didn’t seem very happy that Anabell stayed, except for Aphrodite, it almost appeared she was relieved. Each princess was shown to their rooms except for Anabell, which discouraged her.

“Do not worry” Atem assured appearing next to her, “Your room shall be next to mine. We did not know you were coming so we were not prepared, but no worries, we have an extra room. It used to be mine when I was just a prince”. He opened a beautiful decorated door to show room made in only dreams. Gold and white had decorated the entire room and huge open windows that let rays of sunlight in, causing the room to glow in beauty. This was a room for a prince or now a princess.

Anabell turned to Atem and bowed, “Thank you, I wouldn’t know how to repay such kindness”. Atem surprised her as he lifted her chin to lock eyes with her, “You do not have to repay me. Your gratitude is enough”. She smiled, feeling a blush trying to creep up again. “You may rest here for a while, we will be having lunch in a few hours so you may rest or explore” Atem explained as he left the room with a farewell.

As soon as the door closed Anabell squealed but then regain her composure the moment she knew what she was doing. Suddenly she heard Sphinx’s voice calling out to her. Anabell was confused at first before she realized where it was coming from. She fumbled with her dress, stuffing her hand down it and pulling out the crystal necklace around her neck. Sphinx’s image appeared in the crystal.

“Did you get in?” She was too anxious to wait for Anabell to call her. “I did. I thought this wouldn’t work but it did!” Anabell smiled wildly but then gave Sphinx a stern look, “You shouldn’t be calling me unless it’s important. What if Atem was with me at this very moment? He would have heard you”. The fox groaned like a teenager being lectured by her parent, “I know, I know, but honey I needed to know. From now on I won’t call you unless it’s an emergency”.

Anabell smiled, “I should go. I need to rest a bit. I’ve been up all night”. The crystal’s light faded as she tucked it within her dress again. She had taken a chip of the huge crystal to keep in contact with her friends but she couldn’t let anyone know. It was risky yes, but she couldn’t leave them without any contact. She didn’t want anything happening to them while she was gone.