Manage to Fall

I always end up with you

Drunk Dylan was always sarcastic and gentle. With me in this case, if there was another person involved he would be rowdy and plain mean.

I searched for him for several moments, it was two in the morning and the party died down as well my buzz. I was completely sober and not enjoying myself. Gwen went out to the nearest fast food joint with friends and I chose to- to look for Dylan.

I knew, gathered that he was with Gracie as I eyed them traveling up the stairs as she giggled drunkly.

I cringed inwardly at the thought of him having sex with a drunk annoying girl.

I halted outside a bedroom door. I peeked in the open door. "Dylan?" I wondered out loud.

Soft giggles called back and I paused hesitantly.

Suddenly a door flung open. I turned and met Dylan's eyes. He leaned against the doorframe and nodded his head. I eyed him amused.

The door creaked open allowing Gracie to pass by shamelessly. I refused to look at her. I only looked to Dylan.

Dylan seemed oblivious to the whole deal. He stepped toward me and lingered. "I think I should sleep this off"

I nod allowing my gaze to travel down the hall. Dylan stepped and his hand seemed to steady him. I sighed peering, I trailed over and offered my hand.

Dylan grinned laughing. "Thank you"

I smiled and we trailed down the steps. Dylan waved and called goodbyes to everyone. I wondered what everyone thought about our hands twined together as we walked out.

Maybe-they all thought I was the obvious girlfriend and my boyfriend was cheating on me.

Maybe- I was just a helpful friend

Or Maybe - I was hopelessly in love with my best friend and watched as he fooled around with a random slut

I choose maybe three.

••••••••••••••••••••••

We fumbled through my bedroom door giggling like children, I held Dylan close to me. We turned as I closed the door shut. I walked him toward the bed and pushed him.

"Ow" Dylan winced.

I changed quickly allowing myself to breathe for a moment. I came back to Dylan attempting to undress.

I fumbled handing him his spare pajamas. I believed he laughed. I turned giving somewhat his privacy. I grew red in my cheeks.

"Kansas" Dylan tone soft.

I turned ungracefully at the mention. I watched as he climbed into bed. Dylan peered back motioning me to him. I smiled as big as a girl in love can.

I crawled into bed and sighed contently. I turned peering at him thoughtfully.

"Hi"

"Hello" I whispered replying.

"You're my best friend"

"You're my best friend" I repeated.

Dylan was pleased by this.

"Did you have fun tonight?" Dylan asked

My eyes narrowed "Yeah I guess"

Dylan mouth turned crooked "we could of left earlier"

My mouth faltered slightly "You were with Gracie"

Dylan blinked and began to roll his eyes "So?"

I peered at him questionably "So? You were busy" I claimed.

"Not at all" Dylan said.

I felt my mouth twitch. "Didn't seem like it" I said.

Dylan expression was sour "C'mon"

I widen my eyes, sitting up to peer at him. "Dylan, you two are always ending up together-"

"I always end up with you"

I laughed "Not in the sense of Gracie" I stressed.

"She like blew Cody last weekend. I don't do that kind of shit" Dylan mumbled.

I stared baffled at him. "Doesn't she like you?"

"She knows how I feel" Dylan stared patently. "I don't dangle her around"

"Eh" I said raising my shoulders.

Dylan eyed me and I watched as he smiled. "Okay" he said "I just think you're the best and that's that"

I smiled leaning back into the sheets.

"You have work tomorrow" I reminded softly.

Dylan groaned shifting towards me. "I want pancakes when we get up"

"You can make me some" I offered.

"Okay"

I smiled shutting off the lamp beside my bed. "Night" I said rolling over.

"Don't let the bed"

"Bugs bite" I finished softly.

We fell asleep together as we faced away from each other but I found myself in his arms in the middle of the night.

•••••••••••••••••••••

Dylan worked in a ice cream parlor. He worked Sunday's and Friday afternoons. He loved the job.

I loved it only because I get all of the free ice cream I desire.

I visited often. The bell declared my arrival. I walked in with my homework in my arms. I waited for Dylan to get off so we can spend time together. More time together as if we can do that.

I walked in to find a bubbly girl talking animated to Dylan. I stared descreatly and noticed her tan long legs.

I watched too as Dylan smiled; his eyes crinkling at the corners. I noticed his hands leaning towards her. I noticed her red cheeks from blushing.

I noticed I was being bitter and turned my gaze.

I heard her laugh "Okay I'll see you tonight"

I'll inwardly sulked. He was going to ditch me. "Bye Jen" he called.

I heard his footsteps and a pint of ice cream graced my presence. I peered up trying to summon up any nonchalant expression. "Hey" I said

Dylan eyes darted to the door. "I have a date tonight"

My heart dropped. I managed a smile "With that beautiful girl?" I asked and I was so surprised my tone was casual.

"Jennifer, she's a junior. I always thought she was a cutie"

I smiled at that. "Where are you taking her?" I asked

"To Chicos and then a movie?"

I nodded "Good. That's a good plan" I said.

Dylan smiled. And he leaned toward me stealing a scoop of ice cream. I watched him closely.

"Kan?"

"Yeah Dill?"

Dylan mouth turned slightly "Wanna help me pick out a shirt"

I rolled my eyes sighing. "Such a girl"

Dylan shoved the ice cream toward me. "I will love to" I smiled.

Sometimes it sucked being his friend