‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

Welcome to Chicago

Starting Over

1.Welcome to Chicago

“The Pittsburgh Penguins trade Nicole Green to the Chicago Blackhawks for the eleventh overall pick and the third round seventh pick of the 2009 draft.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

I walked through the O'Hare International Airport of Chicago, my new home, trying to blend in with a group of college aged girls that had been on my flight. My whole summer had consisted of this – eat, sleep, work out, and avoid any extra attention that I could.

It was easy to go unnoticed in Mississippi; there weren’t hockey fans in my area and none of my friends made a big deal out of me anyway – I was still the quiet southern girl in their eyes. Only my best friend from there – Paige – could see the brokenness that I tried to hide.

I had ignored everyone who had called after the announcement of my trade including Cara. She had gone with Patrice back to his home for the summer and tried to invite me up but I had declined; deciding to stay home. I was upset about having to leave Rex with my parents but the Chicago apartment that I would be staying in wasn’t dog friendly.

I shuffled after the group with my head down, the hat I had on pulled tightly, when I heard my name. I looked up automatically and saw a dark mop of hair bounding toward me. I didn’t have time to register the owner before I was being picked up and swung around by the young man.

“Careful Shawzie, don’t hurt our new Defenseman.”

Andrew Shaw was the apparent owner of the dark head of hair. He put me down and I located the owner of the voice – Jonathan. I gave my friend a smile – the first genuine one all summer – and moved to hug him. Johnny wrapped his strong arms around my small frame and pulled me close.

“How are you Nicole?” Johnny asked as he pulled back to look at me, “You’ve lost weight.” The statement was observant and true – I had worked hard to tone up and may have lost more mass than I should have. Shaw grabs my bag and the two men escort me to the waiting car.

“I’m good,” I answer as Johnny drives away.
“You look great!” Andrew pipes up. He sticks his head between the seats and leans up to be a part of the conversation.

Tazer scoffs, “Down boy.” Shaw whines like a puppy but sits back. I giggle at the exchange.
“So how did you guys know I was flying in? I didn’t tell anyone when I would be arriving,” I ask out of curiosity.

“You haven’t been telling anyone very much all summer from what I understand,” Tazer gives me a look that makes me want to sink into the leather seat.

“You agent called Coach Q. He called me since I was back and Shawzie tagged along,” Tazer said as we pulled into an underground garage. I give my new captain a quizzical look.

“Where are we?” I ask as the guys get out of the car.
“Your new home!” Andrew is way too excited for this.
“And where is that?” I ask.
“Trump towers. The team owns a couple of apartments and is putting you in one of them,” Johnny says as he picks up my bags.

We make our way into the building and up to the top floor. There are four large apartments on this floor according to my guides and I’m staying in the one at the end of the hall – 2004.

Tazer give the key to me and allows me to open the door. I turn the knob and walk into my new home. Taking five steps I stop, gaping at the view. The apartment has an open floor plan – the kitchen, living room, and dining room are all in the same area. The kitchen has a large marble island that separates it some from the other two areas. One wall of the living room is completely made of glass. The skyline of the city and part of the lake can be seen from the balcony that is attached to the building. I’m already in love with the apartment and I haven’t even seen the rest.

“So…..Whatda think?” Shaw ask, I can tell he’s smiling by the tone in his voice.
“It’s great,” I answer him as I turn to look at the two Blackhawks.

“The neighbors are even better,” Andrew smirks, “Saader and I live across the hall, Kaner’s next to us, and ole Captain shares the balcony with you.”

I look at Tazer, “Don’t worry, the walls are sound proof,” He says which cause us to laugh. It felt good to laugh again; there was only so much faking a person could do.

“Anyhow, I’m going home, Xbox is calling my name. If you two want to get dinner let me know,” Andrew moves toward the door then stops, “By the way, Welcome to Chicago.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Tazer’s POV)

I smirk as Shawzie leaves the apartment and turn when I hear movement behind me. I turn and see Nicole move down the hall to the first door but moves to the next one after a quick look. She ends up turning into the last door on the left – the master bedroom.

I pick up her bag that I had placed by the door and carry it down the hall. I turn to enter the door and see Nicole lying flat on the mattress. I smile at the scene.

“Find the one?” I ask placing the bag down.
“It’s perfect,” Nicole’s response was soft, her eyes were closed and I could see her visibly relax. I sit beside Nicole and hear her sigh.

“Feel this,” Nicole grabs my arm and pulls me down next to her on the comforter. She shifts and I look at her, her dark eyes meet my own.
“Feels great,” I say and she smiles at me; I feel my body stir as I look at the woman next to me. I need to say or do something before I embarrass myself.

“So, are you excited to be here?” I ask.
“Yeah. Chicago seems to have a lot of great opportunities and I’m looking forward to exploring those opportunities,” Nicole’s gaze shifted to the window.

“Great answer for the media. But is that answer genuine?” I ask her. Even if she did freeze everyone out this summer, I still felt close to her and wanted to get back to that easy friendship.

“I’m excited, Tazer, seriously,” I can see the humor behind the words.
“Ha Ha,” it’s a lame comeback but it’s all I can think of. Just then I hear a loud growl. I look down and feel my face heat up – so much for not embarrassing myself.

Nicole laughs and moves off the bed, “let’s get some food in you, Captain.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

Nicole walked across the hall and into Andrew’s shared apartment. Tazer told her no one on their floor locked the doors during the day since it was only four apartments and all occupants were teammates. That was if they were home.

Andy and Saad were playing COD with headsets on; they didn’t hear her come in. Nicole walked up behind the boys and grabbed their shoulders causing them to jump.

“What the hell!” both guys said as they turned to face Nicole.
“Johnny’s ordering Pizza. You guys in?” Nicole was smirking at the two players.

“Yeah,” Brandon answered first.
“Sure,” Shaw said glancing at the door.
“Okay. I’ll tell him to order extra,” Nicole walked back to the doorway, “By the way, both of you died.”

Nicole heard a string of explicative words as she shut the door behind her.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Dinner – Nicole’s Apartment)

They guys all piled into Nicole’s living room, Saader was setting up her gaming systems so they could watch something off of Netflix Shaw was giving directions but not actually helping. Johnny had gone to his apartment and came back with beer. The Tower’s staff made sure Nicole had the basic essentials but that did not include alcohol.

Nicole was looking on as Brandon struggled with the different cords. Johnny handed her a beer and picked one out for himself.

“Get use to that,” He said pointing at the two younger players.
“What? Andrew’s uselessness or his annoyingness?” she asked with a smile.
Johnny laughed, “Both.”
“He can’t be THAT bad,” Nicole nudged his shoulder playfully.
“Oh, but it is,”

“Got it!” Brandon yelled from across the room causing the two to jump. Just then there was a knock on the door.
Andrew opened it, “Pizza’s here!” he bellowed after paying for it.

“Oh lord help me,” Nicole closed her eyes as the two Hawks made their way through her kitchen, picking up drinks and plates, before moving back to the couches. Johnny let out a hardy laugh and moved around the counter with a plate in both hands.

“Told you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright Readers! this is the first Chapter of Starting Over!

I hope you enjoy it!

As always comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Let me know what Y'all think!