‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

20. Christmas Day

20. Christmas Day

(Nicole’s POV)

Sunlight streams through the window, bathing the two of us in a soft glow. Normally Johnny is the first awake, but as it was Christmas morning, I was the first up. Not wanting to wake him, I slowly crept out of bed and down stairs of the house, our new home, to let Rex out.

I searched the new kitchen in hopes of finding a Keurig without luck. The sound of shuffling alerted me that I was no longer alone, or the only one awake.

“Good morning,” Johnny’s voice, still deep with sleep, called from behind me.
I turned and walked over to my boyfriend and wrapped my arms around his midsection, “Merry Christmas, Johnny.”

He smiled down at me, “Merry Christmas. When do you want to head back to the apartment?” He walks to the back door to let the waiting Border collie in.

“As soon as we get dressed,” I can’t hide the excitement that creeps into my voice.
Johnny chuckles and captures my lips for a brief moment, “Well, let’s get going.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

Waking in an unfamiliar room, I had automatically reached for Nicole but her side of the bed was empty and cold. I climbed out of the tangled sheets and went to search for my missing girlfriend. I found her in the new kitchen, our new kitchen, searching through the cabinets.

I couldn’t help but smile as I watched her move around the room. Her hair wild from the night before, dressed only in my button down, she was perfect and beautiful; she would never believe me if I told her that this version of Nicole was one of my favorites.

Finally deciding that I had creeped long enough, I cleared my throat, “Good morning.”
Nicole turns, gives me a genuine smile, and wraps her arms around my waist, I pull her close and breathing her scent – something fruity with a hint of vanilla.

“Merry Christmas, Johnny,” her words are sing-song-y and I know she’s in a fantastic mood.
“Merry Christmas. When do you want to head back to the apartment?” I ask before walking to the back door to let the waiting Border collie in.

“As soon as we get dressed,” I can hear the excitement that creeps into her voice.
I chuckles and captures Nicole’s soft lips for a brief moment, “Well, let’s get going.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

We have to leave Rex at the house when we leave. I hated leaving my boy, but the apartments don’t allow dogs. Johnny assured me that we would be back later though – we have to feed Rex – and that we can stay the night again if I wanted.

We still have to decide when we want to move in, but I push that thought aside as we make our way to the apartment door.

Johnny turns on the T.V. to a holiday music station before joining me on the floor near the tree. We snap a couple of pictures to send to our parents, wishing them a Merry Christmas and a promise of a Skype chat later.

Johnny hands me the first gifts from my parents, siblings and a couple from his parents – My mom and sent some new books that I had been looking for, Mike and Austin – her two older brothers – sent portraits of their respective families, movies they had talked about, and drawings from Nicole’s nephews – Caleb, Benny, and Jessie – that were framed and ready to be hung. Danny, Nicole’s youngest brother sent a pack of ITunes cards.

From Johnny’s parents Nicole received a framed photo of her and Johnny from her first visit to Winnipeg early in the season. The team had all gone to the Toews’ residents for an importune bar-be-Que. The leaves had just turned for fall, the setting sun highlighting the fiery red and orange.

Johnny had slipped his arm around Nicole’s torso, pulling her close in order to whisper a joke in her ear; Nicole’s right hand resting on Johnny’s right hip, her left on his stomach as the two laughed. Neither had realized the photo had been taken.

“Wow,” was all I could say as I looked down at the photo.
Johnny moved closer, leaning over me to look at the photo also.

“I remember that day,” he said, taking the frame from my hands.
I look up into his rich chocolate eyes, “Do you?”

“Yeah,” he says before looking down at me, “It was the day I realized that I loved you.”
Gave Johnny a smile, “Yeah, well I kind of, sort of like you.”

Faster that I realized, Johnny had me pinned to the floor; hands stretched over head, his long legs straddling my smaller frame.

“Kind of?” he questioned.
I giggled, “Yep. Only a little.”
Johnny moved a hand to my ribs, “Are you sure about that?”
I give him my best poker face, “Oh, I am SO serious.”

At my words, Johnny lets a full assault on my ribs, he tickles me until I have tears streaming down my cheeks and I’m begging for him to stop. He does, and allows me to sit up.

I hand him his gifts still laughing as he starts opening the presents. His parents sent a variety of casual clothes and a couple of records, his brother sent him an autographed puck and picture that made both of us laugh.

I had gotten Johnny a red Timex Active Tracker that he had mentioned wanting, a Fossil watch that I had caught him eyeing in the mall, a new IPad, a few shirts from his favorite brand, and a pair of Ray ban aviators and ray ban 4147.

Johnny slipped the 4147’s on before handing me a silver wrapped box.

“What’s this?” I question.
“Your last Christmas present,” he states mater-of-fact.

I give Johnny a bemused look, “I can’t accept this, Babe. You’ve already given me too much.”
“Like what?” He removes the sunglasses.

“Oh I don’t know….the house maybe. Or flying my dog up,” I give him a pointed look.

Unfazed, Johnny says, “The house was for both of us. And Rex was for your birthday but I couldn’t reveal him until the house was ready. So really, you only got have of a present,” Johnny finishes looking smug.

I roll my eyes at my boyfriend before taking the gift. Inside the box were three Michael Kors Daily Wear watches one Stainless Steel, one Touch of Glitz, and one Runway Gold Chronograph; a teal Timex Active Tracker identical to his new red one; a pair of Nike free run’s.

The last is a framed black and white portrait of myself, Kaner, Shawzie, Saader, Crow, and Johnny from the Bick’s Pits photo shoot. The six of us were waiting for our turn when Andy’s dog decided to jump up and give him a sloppy kiss. Shawzie’s cringing from the drool as the five of us laugh at his expression.

“Looks like you have a lot of new photos to hang on our walls eh?” Johnny chuckles as he looks at the framed pictures.
“Yeah, looks like it.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

We arrive at the Sharp’s residence a little before seven that evening. Nicole and I had made a quick stop by our new place to let Rex out and drop off some clean clothes for the night.

“About time you two got here!” Sharpie answered the door and pulled Nicole into a hug before giving me a bro-hug, “So the ladies are in the kitchen and the guys are down stairs…..”

“Nicole!” Abby rushes out of the kitchen and pulls Nicole away. She looks over her shoulder and gives us a sheepish look before they disappear around the corner.

“Guess that settles that,” Sharp states before heading down the stairs. I follow and see that Crow, Bicks, Duncs, and Hammer are also present.

"Where's Nic?” Corey questions.

“Glad to know where I stand,” I say before I shake Duncan’s and Seabs’ hands, “She’s up stairs with the girls.”

Crow streaks up the steps two at a time; Niklas shakes his head, “You would think he hasn’t seen her in years,” the Swede says.

Brent starts to say something but a sudden yelp from upstairs stops him; loud, quick steps move overhead and shortly after, we see Corey rushing back down the steps with a medium sized bundle tossed over his shoulder.

“I got her!” Corey proudly announces as he comes to a stop near the couch.

“Corey Crawford you put me down right now!” Nicole tries to sound serious but a giggle escapes.
Crow flashes a smile before dropping Nic on the large sectional; he jumps on top of her and she lets out a groan.

“Get your goalie butt off!” we watch as she tries to push Cory off but he doesn’t budge.
Corey squeezes Nicole into a bear hug, “But I missed you!”

Nicole struggles against Corey’s weight before Duncan looks at me. As much as we all are enjoying the entertainment, I know I need to step in before either person gets hurt.

“Alright Crow, let her up,” I tell him; he moves off of her, still smiling.
Nicole gets up, “I swear you’re worse than Andy sometimes.”

Corey gives her a hurt look, “Now that wasn’t nice Nic.”
Nicole sticks her tongue out at the offended goalie then makes her way around the room, greeting the other players.

Soon, Abby calls us up stairs.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV Dec 27)

Christmas was wonderful; time was spent with several players and their significant others. Johnny and I had gone shopping for furniture for the new house on the 26th. We had found room sets for the remaining bedrooms and an entertainment center for the basement. Now we were just waiting for the furniture to be shipped.

While we had stayed Christmas night, Johnny and I had gone back to the apartments; it was easier than living out of suitcases. One or both of us would go to the house to tend to Rex. We decided to move the remainder of our clothes and basics today, but Johnny had been pulled away for a press conference.

The guys who had all left for Christmas had started trickling back into Chicago. Patrick had been the first on our floor back, flying in late last night. Saader had flown in early this morning.

I had gone in for a quick workout; I had indulged and needed to work the excess calories off. I worked for nearly an hour before calling it a day. On my way out I ran into Andy; he wasn’t supposed to be back until later tonight.

“Hey Andy!” I call out as he goes to pass me, “Have a good Christmas?”

Andy stops, the look on his face tells me that he hadn’t wanted too, “Uh, yeah. It was good.”

“How are….” I start but he cuts me off, “Look, I gotta run,” he brushes past me; leaving me dumbfounded.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm still looking for suggestions for the All Star Chapter if Anyone would like to offer a suggestion.

Here's What I'm Looking for:
1. Place (Arena) for Contest
2. Captain's of teams
3. Player's for teams - Forwards, D-Men, Goalies

if you would like a specific pairing please let me know: Such as Crosby/Toews vs. Malkin/Kane

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
I love hearing from you guys so let me know what you think!