‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

24. All Star - Day One

24. All Stars – Day One

(Several POV’s)

Nicole stepped off the plane and pulled her overcoat closer, the remnants of a snow storm sending chills through her body; It was Mid-February in Pittsburgh. She, Tazer, Kaner, Duncs, and Crow quickly claimed their luggage and rented a large SUV; the group was ready to be warm at the hotel.

All Star week had finally arrived; Toews was named Captain of the away team, Kaner was an alternate for the home team, Nicole, Duncs and Crow were participating along with players from across the league.

The group parked at the hotel and quickly made their way inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Nicole’s POV)

“Nika!” I heard the voice moments before my feet left the ground.
I giggled as the large Russian swung me around, “Ovi!”

The larger man placed me back down before giving me a proper hug, “We have missed you; you should come visit.”

“Yeah, Princess, we haven’t heard from you in a while.”
Alex released me and I immediately turned to give Mike a hug, “Sorry, I’ve been meaning to text you guys,” I give Niklas a hug last; they were the only three Caps players here.

Mike gave me a smirk, “You’ve been busy,” and nodded over to where Johnny was checking in.
“Now, no sleeping with the Captain this week; he can’t be bias when he picks his team,” Ovi chirps, giving me a good natured grin.

I feel myself redden at his comment; it wasn’t fully unexpected – there were mixed emotions around the league and fan base - but it was the first time anyone had said something directly too me.

Niklas places a gentle hand on my shoulder, “We are happy for you,” I can hear the sincerity in his voice.

“Yeah, I was only joking,” Alex chimes in, “You both have the full support of the Capital organization.”
I give the guys a smile, “I know you were; and thank you. I just have to get used to the newest reason for people to judge me by.”

“We’ve got your back, Princess.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Johnny’s POV)

I went on and checked in while Nicole was catching up with the Caps trio.

“Wonder what they want?” Kaner said from beside me.
Duncan stops next to us with Crow, “Looks friendly enough.”

I smile at the protective tone, “She’s friends with them.”
“Nicole has fiends everywhere, eh?” Corey asked.

“Yeah, if you spot any of the Staal’s make sure to stay out of their way,” I warn.
“Why is that?” Partick asks just as the four brother’s walk in.

Nicole was walking back to us and hadn’t seen them.

“Just watch,” is all I say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Jordan’s POV first but transitions to all Four Staal’s POV)

Jordan surveyed the grand room of the hotel. The league had done well and hooked them up with a beautiful place. He was still pissed that he was required to stay in the hotel in the city that he was living in; it seemed like a dumb idea.

An elbow to the ribs knocks the rambling thoughts away, “What the hell?”
Marc, the owner of the elbow, was pointing at a dark haired beauty, “Isn’t that Nic?”

Four sets of eyes turned to the petite woman.

“It is,” Eric said with a smile.
Jered piped in, “Let’s say hello.”

The brothers share a knowing look and split up.

“Hey Sis!” Eric called out across the concourse.

Nicole stops and turns, giving the tall blonde man a devastating smile, “Eric!” she quickly changes course and wraps her arms around the eldest Staal, “Where are your brothers?”

“Staal sandwich!” a voice rings through the room.

Nicole goes to pull away, but three equally tall figures jump out of three different directions and surround the smaller woman; effectively squishing her.

“Guys! Can’t…. Breathe…” Nicole gasps between the laughter.
The four step back. Nicole gives each brother a quick hug.

“It’s good to see you, Sis,” Marc says before releasing Nicole.
“Yeah, congrats on making All Stars,” Jered, the youngest brother, chimes in.

Nicole gives the guys a smile, “Thanks; congrats on the call up, Jered.”
The red head blushes a deep crimson, “Thanks.”

Nicole turns to Jordan, “Are you here alone?”
“No, Sid’s around here somewhere, so are Geno, Tanger, and Nealer.”

“No Paulie?” Nicole questions; she missed her other defensive partner; she had alternated teaming with Paulie, Kris and Max during her time as a Pen.

Jordan gives her a knowing smile, “He stayed in the city; said something about needing to feed Nealer.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Nicole’s POV)

The group and I share a laugh as we walk over to where my team mates are waiting; Johnny has a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth when we approach. The guys all share pleasantries before the brothers excuse themselves to check in.

Johnny, Duncs, Crow, Pat and I head to the elevators so we can get settled – the league had reserved two floors of the hotel for the All Star Players and mandated that we share rooms; well, everyone except for me.

Crow and Duncan are in the room across the hall from mine; Johnny and Pat are next to me. My room sits snuggly in the corner and is the only single on the floor, a large king sized bed dominates the room. I’m just about to unpack when a knock sounds.

Opening the door, I’m met with a sultry Kris Letang, “bonjour bel oiseau.”
I let out a snort, “Beautiful bird? Really?”

Kris cracks a small smile, “You are a ‘Hawk now, yes?”
“True,” I say, giving him a hug before stepping back, “Want to come in?”

Kris relaxes to a more natural standing position, “I would, but I was sent to retrieve you and your team. They are having a meeting before everyone gets settled.”

“Okay,” I grab my phone and card key, “Let’s grab the guys.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Speaker)

“Hello everyone, if would please find a seat so we can get started.”

The room shifted as players found empty seats; once they were all settled, the speaker, an older man in a brown suit, stepped back up to the podium.

“This year, as you all know, the All Star break has been extended to six days. Today marks the first official day of the break. Captains and Alternate-Captains have already been chosen and will be allotted time to themselves in order to choose the best players,” a collective chuckle runs through the room, “Tomorrow will consist of interviews with various outlets that are here, and the draft will be held tomorrow night.”

The speaker pauses, “A few rules have been changed in regards to the week; first, we are allowing one trade between the two teams – if you decide to trade, do so wisely. Second, you, the players, will be sitting behind the stage during the draft – we want you all to be as comfortable as possible and this will allow us to show you all interacting in a relaxed environment to the audience.”

“The final change is your living quarters for the duration of the week – tonight is the only night you all will be staying here at the hotel. After the draft, we will give players from each team directions to the compound where you will be staying for the remainder of the week,” a low buzz of chatter runs through the room, “The media does not know the whereabouts of the houses; This will allow you all to come and go freely without the hassle of cameras. Cars will be provided for anyone who wishes to leave the grounds. Teams will be bussed from the compound to the arenas for practice. Thank you.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Nicole’s POV)

“Well that was interesting,” Corey says as we all stand to leave.
I look up at Johnny, I can see the concern in his eyes, “What is it?” I ask him.

He looks down, meeting my gaze, “It’s strange; they’ve never done this before.”
“Maybe they’re just trying something new like the guy said,” I offered.

“Maybe,” he half agrees, something catches his eye, “I’ll be back.”

I look and see his alternate-Captains, Drew Doughty and Andrew Ladd, waving at him, “Captain Duties call,” he gives me a mega-watt smile, capture my lips, and slip away.

“No fraternizing with the Captain,” I look to my left and see Henrik standing there with two glasses of dark liquid.

I point at the glasses, “I hope one of those is for me.”
He smiles, “Of course,” he says, handing over the crystal ware, “How have you been?”

I take a sip, tasting the smooth richness of the liquid run down my throat, “I’ve been good. How is New York?”

“It’s still running; I’ve been meaning to thank you for the photo – it turned out fantastically,” his words cause me to flush.

“I’m glad you got it – I was worried it would get messed up during shipping.”
“No, it was perfect,” he says.

We chat for a few more moments before Henrik is pulled away. I decide to circle the room. Geno was talking with Vladimir Tarasenko and Jakub Voracek. Duncan and Patrick were at the bar with David Backes and Anze Kopitar.

A mess of red hair grabs my attention, but the dark haired man next to him holds it.

“Max!” I exclaim.
He turns and gives me a smirk, “Bonjour belle; surprised?”

I through my arms around his neck, “Yes; I didn’t know you were on the list of players.”
“He was an alternate; our third man went down in the last game,” Claude chimes in.
I cringe, “Yeah, I heard it was a nasty hit.”

“He’ll be okay,” Max answers as a flash goes off.
“I didn’t think the media was allowed in here,” I say, looking at the dark haired woman; Claude smirks.

Max turns and wraps an arm around the photographer’s waist, “Nicole this is my girlfriend, Breeze. Breeze, this is Nicole easily the toughest woman I’ve ever met.”

I smile at the wary female and offer my hand, “I’ve heard a lot about you; it’s nice to finally meet you.”

Breeze gives me a soft smile, “It’s nice to meet you too.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Nicole’s POV)

I steal Breeze away from Max after talking with the two Flyer’s. We sit in a quieter corner of the room, talking about photography and people watch. Apparently she had a run in with Henrik and he told her about my hobby. It was nice to have a common ground to talk about but I could tell she had something on her mind.

“I have to be honest; I wasn’t sure about meeting you,” Breeze says before taking a sit of her drink.
“Why is that?” I ask, slightly confused.

Breeze gives me a guilty look, “It’s just… well, you’re gorgeous; and with your history with Max,” she flustered woman lets out an exasperated sigh, “I was self-conscious and jealous.”

I lay my hand across the brunettes, “Breeze, YOU are gorgeous; Max is insane about you; he’s not the same person as when we were together.”

“But why didn’t you try to make it work after….” Breeze cuts herself off before saying, “Oh god, don’t answer that; it’s none of my business.”

I give her a soft smile, “You know?”
A sheepish look crosses her face, “Yeah, he told me.”

I look across the room and spot the Frenchman before turning back to the woman beside me, “Max and I both weren’t ready for a relationship when we met; I thought it was bad timing but now….Talbo was always meant to be my friend, nothing more; he’s a good guy; and, I’m happy he has someone like you in his life,” Breeze gives me a questioning look so I go on, “He needs a strong woman, one who can take care of herself.”

“He is a good guy; thank you,” Breeze gives me a small smile, “Now, Max said your beau was here also; which one is he?”

The sudden change in topic reminds me that Breeze doesn’t know a whole lot about the sport that I love; Max had told me she was learning though.

I scan the room and spot Johnny as he walks back in, “The guy that just walked in,” I said, pointing slightly.

Breeze looks to the door, a smirk lines her features, “Hello handsome.”

We share a look before bursting into laughter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Johnny’s POV)

The meeting was over and as I walk back into the hall, I immediately scan the room for Nicole. I spot Duncs and Crow; not seeing Nicole's small figure next to them, I decide to take a lap. I say hello to the guys that I pass, pausing at a few to catch up when a hand lands on my shoulder.

“Your girl has kidnapped mine,” I turn so see a smiling, and slightly drunk, Max Talbot.
I shake his hand, “Do you know where they’ve run off too?”

Max nods and motions toward the opposite corner, “They’ve been sitting for a while.”

I spot the two women, they looked deep in conversation but suddenly laugh at something unknown.

“I think we should join them,” I say, Max agrees.
I grab two drinks from the bar before walking over; Max does the same.

“This seat taken?” I ask, standing near Nicole.
She gives me a flirtatious look, “Only of one of those is for me.”

I smile, hand over the new glass, take the empty seat, and place my arm across the back of the booth for a little extra room; Nicole leans into me slightly and I smile once more.

“Johnny,” Nicole’s voice recaptures my attention, “This is Max’s girlfriend, Breeze; Breeze this is Jonathan Toews.”

Max pipes in, “Nicole’s captain and boyfriend; congrats by the way. We saw the conference.”
Breeze smiles warmly at me, “Well, Captain Jonathan Toews; it’s nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too,” I say, “And it’s just Johnny.”
I feel Nicole giggle quietly by my side.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright Guys, this is easily the longest chapter so far - I am writing Day two and it should be up within a couple of days.
If you are reading both this story and Flying High - I hope the transitions between the two chapters are smooth - this does cross over and will continue too for the next few chapters.

~~~~The Line up for the Draft hasn't been finalized so if there is a specific player you would like to see in the line up let me know before WEDNESDAY!!!!! (11/18/15)~~~~

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Let me know what you think!