‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

25. All Star – Day Two

25. All Star – Day Two

(Nicole’s POV)

A loud knocking woke me from my peaceful sleep, Johnny barely stirred as I walked to the door. I peeked out, seeing Drew Doughty and Andrew Ladd standing in the hall.

“Good morning boys; what can I do for you?” I ask after opening the door.
Doughty gives me a cheeky grin, “We were looking for our captain; have you seen him?”

I can tell Ladd is holding in a laugh.

“I might have; Tall, dark, handsome?” I ask; I can hear that Johnny’s gotten out of bed before I feel him standing behind me.

Ladd smirks, “Well, you got the tall part right.”
Johnny’s voice is laced with sleep, “Give us a minute; I’ll meet you two downstairs.”
“That all it takes?” Doughty chirps, causing Ladd to finally laugh.

Johnny closes the door as the two men walk away; he pulls me back to the bed and pushes me down before cuddling into me. I know we both need to get moving for the day, but I can’t fight the need to soak up a little more time with my boyfriend.

Technically, Johnny was supposed to stay in his shared room with Kaner; but after everyone dispersed from the banquet hall – the two of us had come back to my room. I knew Patrick would prefer his own room anyway and wouldn’t care that I kidnapped Johnny.

After several heartbeats I feel and hear Johnny exhale, “Alright, we need to go.”
I lean over and give him a slow kiss, “You have to do that Captain thing,” I say, giving him a playful poke.

He chuckles before turning serious, “Would you be angry if my team doesn’t pick you?” I can see the concern in his dark eyes.

I gently brush my hand along his jaw line, “I love you; and, all jokes aside, I know you want to choose the best team. I respect that and I respect whatever you decide to do. So, no, I won’t be angry if your team doesn’t choose me.”

“I don’t want to hurt you,” Johnny admits.
I give him a smile, “You never could,” I say, relief washes over his features, “But if it helps – Tanger and I make one hell of a D pair.”

Johnny lets out a full belly laugh, kisses me once more, and then moves to get ready for the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Regular POV – Draft)

Jonathan was nervous – it was easy to see as he swayed back and forth off stage, his alternate captains were joking with the “Home” team of Sidney, Patrick, and Erik Karlsson. The announcer was greeting the crowd; the crowd was hyped and chanting for various players.

Andrew Ladd bumped Johnny’s shoulder, “Ready?” he asked.
Johnny gives him a smirk, “As I’ll ever be.”
“Just keep to the game plan, “Drew Doughty says as he joins the conversation.

The two men are called onstage shortly after – the crowd boo’s the away alternate captains. Johnny looks over to where the other players are sitting and catches Nicole’s eye – she gives him a wink and he feels a smile creep across his face.

“And now ladies and gentlemen, if you will, help me welcome to the stage, number 19 from Chicago and the captain of the visiting team – Jonathan Toews!”

Johnny hears the booing intensify; Jeff – the announcer for the event – catches Johnny before he walks over to his seat.

“Jonathan, tell us, were you able to confer with your alternate captains about the draft and what is the strategy going into today’s draft?”

“Drew, Andy and I were able to talk some before today; we’re all new to this so the plan is pretty much to choose the best players for the type of team that we are wanting.”

“And what type is that?”

“We are looking for a mixture of skill, speed, and power.”

“Alright Jonathan, good luck and have fun.”

“Thanks Jeff,” Johnny says before shaking Jeff’s hand and heading to his seat.

Sidney and his alternate captains were introduced for the home team and the crowd went wild when the Pen’s Captain was called. Sidney smiled and waved as he walked across the stage.

“So Sidney,” Jeff missed the Captain as he walked by and had to chase the center man to his seat, much to the delight of the crowd, “What is your teams’ strategy going into the pick? You have first pick so you get to set the tone for the Draft today.”

Sidney gave the man a smile, “Yeah, not much of a strategy today; just going to try and pick who we think would have the best chemistry on the ice together.”

“Alright Sid, and with that, the floor is your when you’re ready.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Back Room)

Nicole was sitting at a table with Mike Green and Tyler Seguin – the rookie had been cracking jokes all day with Nicole and she had found his playful banter adorable much to the disdain of a certain Captain.

“Twenty bucks he picks LeTang first,” the young Boston player said as they watched the screen.
Mike countered him, “No way, if he’s smart he’ll take Nicole – keep her away from her Boyfriend,” Mike gave Nicole a wink.

“He’s going with G,” Nicole said in a matter of fact way.
Tyler rubbed his hands together, “I’ll take that.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Draft)

“And with the first pick of the 2010 NHL All-Star Draft, Team Crosby selects…..From the Pittsburgh Penguins…. Evgeni Malkin.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Back)

“Shit!”
“Pay up Boys.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Draft)

“Jonathan you have the floor.”

Johnny stood and adjusted the mike, “Alright, our first selection, we’ve played together for a few years now and there’s no one I would rather have on the blue-line, From the Chicago Blackhawks – Duncan Keith.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Back)

Ovechkin leans across the back of his chair toward Nicole, “Guess he’s not getting laid tonight.”
The guys near the pair laughed.

Nicole gives the Capital a smile, “I didn’t want to have to pick up his slack this weekend anyway.”
A collective OOHHH rings through the room.

Duncan stops at the table before heading out, “Sorry, Nic; he should have picked you.”
Nicole shrugs, “That okay, Duncs. He can cuddle with you tonight.”

The taller defender laughs, “I’ll be sure to tell him that.”

Tyler leans across the table after Duncan walked onto the stage, “I’ll cuddle with you.”

Mike pushed the young-gun back in his chair and gives him a cold stare – causing Nicole to giggle before Corey sweeps her away from the Bruin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Draft)

Sidney chooses Taylor Hall in the second round while Johnny takes John Tavares. The third sees two goalies go – Lundqvist to team Crosby and Crawford to team Toews. The fourth, fifth, and sixth see James Neal, Kris LeTang, and Steven Stamkos go to Team Crosby and Team Toews pick up Marc Staal, Jordan Staal, and Eric Staal.

In the Seventh round Sidney picks Mike Green and Johnny takes Claude Giroux – much to the displeasure of the crowd.

Jeff cuts in before a commercial break, “Alright guys, we’re nearing the half way mark and this is how the teams currently look: on Team Crosby we have Four forwards Evgeni Malkin, James Neal, Steven Stamkos, and Taylor Hall; two defenders in Kris LeTang and Mike Green; and one Goalie with Henrik Lundqvist.

For Team Toews: Four forwards John Tavares, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, and Claude Giroux; two defenders with Duncan Keith and Marc Staal; and one goalie with Corey Crawford.
Just a reminder players like Phil Kessel, Gabriel Landeskog, and Nicole Green are still available. Sidney you have the clock again.”

Sidney shoots Johnny a sideways glance, he catches the Captains eye and smirks, “Yeah, so this next player I’ve had the pleasure of playing both with and against; I’m surprised that she’s lasted this long; I’d rather have her on my side of the line any day; she was a top pair with Tanger while she was with the Pen’s and I think we would all like to see those two paired again,” he pauses as the room erupts into cheers, “So from the Chicago Blackhawks – Nicole Green!”

The room hits a higher decibel as Nicole makes her way into the stage. She gives Sidney a hug before taking the jersey and slipping it over her dress.

She turns to take her seat but Jeff calls her back, “Nicole! wait, wait, you’re not getting off that easily,” he says as Nicole turns back to the man with the microphone, “Okay, this story line has been developing since you and Jonathan decided to be open about your relationship. What are you feeling right now after being drafted by your old captain and not your new one?”

Nicole gives the audience a breathtaking smile and lets out a laugh, “I’m a little surprised – you never know how these things will work out – but this is my first All-Star so really I’m just happy to be here.”
Jeff gives Nicole a warm smile, “Jonathan said at the beginning that he was looking for skill, speed, and power in his players – what do you think of him not picking you for?”

Nicole glances at her offending boyfriend, he gives her his signature smirk, “No one ever said that he was the brightest,” the room fills with laughter, “I think he missed a great opportunity.”

“Were there any negotiations before the draft today?”

Doughty and Ladd snicker as Nicole answers, “No, I told Johnny to pick who he wanted. This week is supposed to be fun; that’s what we’re all here for.”

“Alright, thank you Miss Green.”

The rest of the draft went by quickly and by the end the teams looked like:

Team Crosby:

LW Taylor Hall – Edmonton C Sidney Crosby – C - Pitt RW Patrick Kane – A - Chicago
LW James Neal – Pitt C Evgeni Malkin - Pitt RW Jakub Voracek - Flyers
LW Gabriel Landeskog – Colorado Steven Stamkos – Lightning RW Corey Perry - ANA
LW Jamie Benn – Dallas C Max Talbot - Flyers RW Tyler Seguin – Boston/ Rookie

D Erik Karlsson – A - Ottawa D Kris Letang - Pitt
D Nicole Green – Chicago D Mike Green – Washington
D Zdeno Chara - Boston D Ryan Suter – Minnesota

G Henrik Lundqvist – NYR G Roberto Luongo – Florida G Eddie Lack – Vancouver

Team Toews:
LW Andrew Ladd – A - Winnipeg C Jonathan Toews – C - Chicago RW John Tavares – NY Islanders
LW Henrik Zetterberg – Detroit C Claude Giroux - Flyers RW Nino Niederreiter – Minnesota
LW Eric Staal - Carolina C Jordan Staal - Pitt RW Phil Kessel – Toronto
LW Alex Ovechkin - Caps C Nicklas Backstrom – Washington RW Vladimir Tarasenko – St. Louis/ Rookie

D Marc Staal - NYR D Duncan Keith - CHI
D Brent Burns – San Jose D Shea Weber - Nashville
D Drew Doughty – A - LA D Aaron Ekblad - Panthers

G Corey Crawford – CHI G Cary Price – Montreal G Pekka Rinne – Dallas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Regular POV)

Nicole found herself congregating with her new team – Seguin was talking excitedly Hall as Nicole watched – a fond look on her face.

A strong pair of arms wrap around her midsections as a deep voice whispers, “No, you can’t adopt him.”

Nicole lets out a small whine, “But he’s adorable babe.”

Johnny lets out a snort, “Puppies are adorable.”

“He’s kind of like a puppy,” Nicole argues then softens her features, “I promise to take good care of him, and I’ll feed him every day, and take him on walks.”

Johnny gives her a stern look as the group around them watch with amused looks, “No – besides, you already have one Mutt at home and a pack of guard dogs – no way you need another.”

Mike Green gives the young woman a small smirk.

Nicole gives him a playful shove as the group cracks up; causing Seguin stop midsentence – confusion on his features.

Ovechkin throws his arm over Nicole’s shoulders, “Come to Washington and you can have all the puppies your heart desires.”

Johnny gives the Russian a stony look when Seguin pipes in, “I like puppies.”

The room erupts into laughter again, causing the young rookie to turn an alarming shade of red.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guard Dogs = Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby

I realize that Nicole has a whole team of Pen's and four Staal's plus several friends from other teams that I have mentioned she is close too but the reference was from when she was in the hospital in the first story - You Never Know

All comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Let me know what you think