Hell Is Around the Corner

Three.

Sarah sat in her apartment at her desk, her legs were curled and a cup of tea rested next to her computer. It was about 11 p.m and she was just finishing her finals paper, something she had taken her time at doing.

"Hey, did you see the two hot guys around?" Mell took a seat near Sarah as she crunched into her bagel, it had always confused her as to why Mell ate bagels all the time.

Sarah gave her a swift nod and grunt as she took a sip of her tea, she had seen both but only spoke to one. Detective Martin. He was tall, handsome, had shoulder length brown hair and a husky tone. Also very polite.

"I was questioned by them today, Martin and Ryan. Some girl was killed in the area, which is weird because it wasn't even on the news." Mell placed her feet on the small table in front of her, bagel still in hand.

"Yeah." Sarah muttered as she finished typing the last of her paper. With a long drawn out sigh, she saved the file and closed her laptop.

Leaning back in her chair she turned to face Mell, who was watching her. "I spoke to Martin, he gave me his card as a just in case. The other one was weird, I didn't speak to him. But he spoke to me, about me name." She trailed off as her eyes gazed out of the window, the rain pattered against the glass as she chewed the inside of her lip.

Mell let off a small laugh, finishing her bagel; she grabbed the drink that Sarah didn't notice was on the small table. A yawn escaped her lips as she looked back out of her window, she was craving a snack. Chips maybe, her eyes narrowed.

'I don't want to walk on this rain.'

With a grunt she pushed herself from the chair and went to grab her coat, "Where are you going?" She heard Mell as she left the apartment, not bothering to respond.

The rain bounced from her coat and hood, it was slightly chilly but rather nice; her hands were stuffed deep in her pockets and her head was low as she walked down the block. The store was a 24 hour deli that she loved to go to, mostly at night.

The bell let off a soft ding as she entered the deli, she didn't look around as she made her way to the snacks isle. Once there she grabbed a few bags of chips and left the isle to the front of the store.

Her brows scrunched together as she stood at the counter, "Uh, Hello?" She spoke as she leaned forward slightly, there wasn't a single person there. She took a look around the store and the back to the counter, who would leave the register unwatched?

"Hey, I have some stuff to buy!" She spoke louder, not getting a response back. A sigh escaped her lips as she slowly turned around and quickly covered her mouth. Holding back the scream. The owner stood behind her, his body slightly hunched forward, his eyes skightl pale along with his skin. He took slow steps around her, dragging his feet. His head slightly tilted to one side as he rang up her stuff in silence.

She paid him with trembling hands, her eyes glued to his neck. The large gash that blood was dripping from, she took her change and bag. Shuffling backwards towards the door. His eyes on her the whole time with a smirk playing at his lips, feeling the door behind her she rushed out of the store and into the rain.

A hand rested on her shoulder causing her to spin around, scream and swing at the person. Her fist hit someone's cheek causing the grunt in pain, "What the hell?" The voice brought her back to reality, it was the other man from the store. But this time she took a good look at him, he had short brown hair, perfectly sculptured face and bright blue eyes.

"I'm so sorry." Her voice trembled as the rain dripped down her hair and face, his eyes were narrowed as he saw the pure terror on her face. She watched as he pulled a gun from his jacket and pushed her behind him, another hand gripped her shoulder and she was greeted with Martin.

"Let's get you home." He spoke to her, Sarah nodded her head in agreement as he looked to his partner.

"I got it...just get her home safe."

Tmshe couldn't pull her eyes from him, there was something about him that seemed so familiar to her. Was it his eyes? She felt a tug on her arm as Martin pulled her over to a car. Once in the car she rested her head against the window, pointing in the direction of her home. The mans image had implanted itself in her memory, she was going to have nightmares for weeks.