Status: DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Master of Sardonic Wit

14.

September 7 1997

“Good morning birthday boy,” Kayleigh smirked.

“Oh shut up,” James groaned, clutching his head and sitting down at the table in the living room, closing his eyes to block out the bright light.

“You're another year older now!”

“Don't remind me,” James muttered darkly, still having his eyes closed, “say, do you have any aspirin around? My head is killing me.”

“Then you shouldn't have drunk so much last night to celebrate your birthday early.”

“I was having fun!” the older man whined, looking up finally and seeing Kayleigh already standing in front of him with an aspirin.

“28 years old,” Kayleigh sighed, “You're getting old.”

“Oh shut up you,” James glared.

“Where is the birthday boy?!” Mark shouted as he entered the apartment in his usual bubbly self, smiling bright and then letting it fall once he heard his brother groan and yell some curses on the top of his lungs.

“What's up with him?”

September 10 1997

"Don't worry, we'll get our own pair of drums, you can have yours back," Jennifer said, looking at the drums behind her with a proud smile.

"Aw, keep it," the guy said, smiling at Jennifer who quickly wrapped her arms around him and started thanking him.

“Chantal! I want cake!” James' voice yelled on the background.

“Then make some!” Chantal yelled back.

“Never mind those two, thanks for the drums anyway,” Jennifer smiled, saying goodbye to the guy and then closing the door behind her, sighing in relief.

“Oh shut up both of you and make cake!”

“But I want supermarket cake!” James whined.

“Then go and get some!” Chantal shot back.

“No! I'm too lazy!”

“Oh for crying out loud James! The store is just next doors!”

“But I got to walk downstairs and go out and walk next doors and then down the aisle to take the cake and then to the cashiers to pay for it,” James whined, “and then I got to walk all the way back up here and go to the kitchen to open the cake and cut it!”

“We have elevators too you know,” Jennifer butted in.

“That's not the point!”

“It's not?” Jennifer frowned, looking at James who was standing in the middle of the room, panting a little from his little rant earlier while his arms were spread wide open.

“The point is that I have to go outside and then back inside and then pay for my cake and then go back outside only to get back inside to come all the way up here so I can eat my cake!”

“James?” Chantal asked after a few moments of silence.

“Yes sweetheart?”

“Just go and get the damn cake will you?”

“No,” James pouted stubborn.

“Why not?” Chantal sighed.

“Because I'm lazy and I don't want to go outside twice and inside twice to get cake if you can just make some!”

“I thought you wanted supermarket cake,” Jennifer frowned.

James sighed and pinched his temple, closing his eyes and muttering some incoherent curses under his breath.

“I want cake!” he busted out, starting to run around in circles and waving his hands in the air.

“Wow, what's going on here?” Mark entered the apartment and ducked away from his brother's rampaging throughout the living room.

“He wants cake,” Chantal shrugged.

“Then why doesn't he go and get some?” Mark asked in wonder, looking at his brother with an open mouth and a frown on his brow.

“Because I'm lazy!” James stopped running around, noticing Mark and then pointing his finger at him, “You! Get me my cake!”

“Get your own bloody cake!” Mark shot back.

“Don't make me start that explanation again! It's not good for my health!” James stamped his foot on the floor, “now get me some cake!”

“How is talking not good for your health?” Mark frowned, looking at his brother who groaned and threw his arms in the air again.

“Because it isn't!”

“You're not making any sense at all,” Mark muttered.

“Doesn't matter! I.Just.Want.My.Cake!”

“Then go get some!”

“Fine,” James pouted, taking his coat and running out of the room, leaving the two girls and Mark in a daze to look at the still open front door, half expecting James to come back running in and forcing that one of them should just go and buy the cake.

“Did he just?” Mark asked Chantal and Jennifer who were still looking shocked at the open door.

“I think he did,” Chantal muttered silently.

“That man will never seem to amaze me,” Jennifer sighed.

“Oh my god! Hey guys! Guess what!” James ran in the kitchen with such a big grin on his face that it made them all look up and wonder what he had been doing.

“What?”

“I got my cake!” James jumped up and down and then quickly ran towards the counter to take one of the knives before struggling to open the package.

“Bloody package. Open up! I want cake!”

“Uhm, James, perhaps you should just, open it at the top of the package instead of in the middle,” Steve pointed out.

“Oh.”

September 15 1997

“What do you mean? The whole neighborhood has no electricity?” James howled, trying another light switch and noticing that it still wasn't working.

“Something happened down town, relax, they're fixing it,” Kayleigh rolled her eyes. For once, it was only her and James in the apartment, which was sort of a relief because most of the time, there was always someone else there.

“I wake up, thinking I'll be able to check the Internet and my emails but no, I don't have freaking Internet either!” James threw his arms in the arm and looked up at the ceiling before walking to the fridge and trying to find something to drink.

“James, relax, they're fixing it right now, we'll have our electricity back in no time.”

“You're right, but this just, sucks,” James sighed, sitting down in the chair opposite of Kayleigh's and opening the can of Dr. Pepper in his hand.

“Why don't you go running? Get your mind of things, I'm sure that by the time you get back everything is back to normal,” Kayleigh proposed, smiling at James and placing her hand down on his upper arm, “unless you suddenly need some electricity to run.”

“Yeah, I'll go do that I guess,” James yawned, “I haven't gone running in a while anyway.”

Walking to his bedroom to get himself ready, he eyes his cellphone laying on the night closet next to his bed before shrugging and checking the time, seeing that it was only 11 am. Getting ready didn't take long, 10 minutes top, his running outfit was always hanging over the chair in his room, just like his running shoes.

“I'm out! I got my keys with me!” James yelled, opening the door and going out before Kayleigh could answer.

There weren't a lot of people in the park, which was good for James since he could run easier and quicker then, not having to dodge people around him and slow down whenever a group of tourists was passing by. He smiled to himself as he started muttering some lyrics to himself, lyrics he had written himself but wasn't completely sure off, the past few shows the band had done were successful though, at least in his opinion, they had just started so the fact that they at least pulled some people was good.

“Hey James!”

“Aah! Don't kill me!”

“What?”

“Oh Pedro it's you,” James sighed in relief, standing up once Pedro had walked over to him and James could actually see him.

“What was that all about?” Pedro chuckled, walking with James around the park instead of trying to run after him.

“Nothing,” James said quickly with a smile on his lips, looking around him, anxious and perhaps a bit fearful, Pedro couldn't quite tell.

“Must be something,” Pedro insisted.

“You just scared me that's all,” James sighed.

“Hey Jimmy!”

“Aah!” James shot up and fell down on the floor as someone jumped on his back and literally tackled him, “don't kill me!”

“What's up with him?” Steve asked, still sitting on James' back while the man himself was holding his hands over his head and trying to lay as still as possible.

“Don't know, he acted similar with me.”

“Hey Jimmy kid, you alright?”

“Steve?”

“No, Santa, of course it's me, what the hell is wrong with you?”

“Just, edgy,” James answered, being helped up by Steve who finally stood up and got off him.

“Right, and I got to believe that?”

“Yeah you should!” James shot back, leaning backwards a little to get the ache out of his back, “and don't tackle me like that, it hurts my back.”

“Aw I'm sorry baby,” Steve said, fluttering his eyelashes a little and smirking at James who sighed deeply.

“I'm screwed.”