Status: DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Master of Sardonic Wit

8.

July 12 1994

“You know, I keep forgetting you were in a coma for almost two years James,” the doctor nodded, looking at James' file and seeing how much he had progressed over time. It had been somewhat 5 months since James had left the hospital and the man was clearly doing better than ever.

“I'm still having some trouble with my legs sometimes but that's probably because of I strain them too much,” James admitted.

“How do you strain them then?”

“Running, every morning almost 2 hours in the park close to my apartment,” James nodded proud, in the beginning he couldn't even run for 5 minutes, now he could easily take on 2 hours without breaking a sweat.

“That of course could be the cause of some muscle aches every now and then, how is your memory?”

“Short,” James chuckled, “I forget things easily sometimes but I guess that's normal.”

“That's just the short memory, everyone has that,” the doctor nodded in agreement before standing up and giving the sign for James to do the same, “I'll be seeing you back in another 5 months to look at your progress then, if there's anything you can call me anytime.”

“Of course,” James nodded, shaking the doctor's hand before leaving the office and back to the waiting room where Chantal was patiently waiting for him. She smiled at him and stood up, taking his hand in her own and walking out of the building with him.

“So how did it go?” Chantal asked, laying down her head on James' shoulder and smiling up at him.

“I just got to go back in five months, but he said I'm in good condition,” James nodded, sounding proud of himself.

“That's good,” Chantal smiled, giving James a peck on the cheek and slightly standing on the top of her toes so she could reach him.

“That's very good, now how about we go and get some ice cream,” James smiled, looking excited at Chantal and hoping she would agree to his proposal. Chantal looked at him for a moment before sighing and nodding.

“I know just the place.”

“Oh sheesh,” James sighed before he let Chantal drag him off to somewhere he hadn't been before, after all, Chantal was the one who knew this neighborhood of New York out of her head, as it was somewhat close to her own apartment. Not that she stayed there a lot since she met James and they became an item.

“Is this going to be another one of those shops where nearly nobody comes yet everyone there knows your name?”

“Not really, we did all of them already, this is just an ice cream parlor,” Chantal chucked.

“Oh really? Doesn't look like a normal ice cream parlor,” James said, looking up at the sign above the store before Chantal hit his shoulder and dragging him in anyway.

“How about the shop right on the other side of the street?”

“That, is the comic book shop, want to go there after our ice cream?” Chantal asked in wonder, not really knowing if James would be interested in comic books or not. James frowned and then nodded.

“I feel like we're in this romantic movie,” James said dryly before putting his spoon in the glass of ice cream and taking a bite.

“Now all we need is some sappy music,” he continued, before taking another bite from the vanilla ice cream.

“Is it because of all the pink, orange and yellow around here or is it just because of the grumpy mood you're in?” Chantal asked, smirking a little and taking a bite from her own chocolate ice cream. James raised an eyebrow at Chantal and wondered if she was kidding him or not before sighing.

“You secretly love it here and want to come back tomorrow, just because,” Chantal said after a few moments of silence, looking at James with a certain glance in her eyes that made him laugh a little and refuse to make eye contact.

“Come on, let's get out of here,” Chantal pushed her empty glass of ice cream aside and stood up, waiting for James to follow her.

“Where are you taking me now?” James wondered as he was once again pulled by Chantal.

“The comic book shop, you told me roughly half an hour ago you wanted to go, sheesh, is your memory that bad?”

“No,” James muttered as he was dragged in the old shop, it was slightly darker than the ice cream parlor but it made James feel a lot more comfortable. He smiled slightly and his fingers trailed across the amount of comics piled together. Chantal smiled at him before she went to her own section of comics, leaving James alone to explore.

Roughly two hours later, since both Chantal and James both took all the time they wanted to explore the shop, they both left it with a couple of comics, smiling from ear to ear as they talked about the different comics they each bought, asking each other if they could borrow one of theirs to read.

Walking into the apartment and giggling slightly before sharing a passionate kiss, both James and Chantal temporarily forgot that Kayleigh was probably around the house before they installed themselves on the white carpet in front of the television, shoving the coffee table a bit out of their way as they started to read comics laying down on their stomach or backs, laughing sometimes at a witty quote or saying it out loud so the other could also laugh.

July 24 1994

“James, the sun is shining outside, there is a slight breeze and you're sitting outside, now what is wrong with this picture?”

“The sun?” James asked as he squinted his eyes in the darkness of the recording studio.

“Wrong, try again,” Chantal said, placing her hands on her hips and tapping her foot slightly on the floor.

“The wind?” James frowned, “and could you stop that tapping, it's annoying the shit out of me.”

“No James, you sitting inside, now come on, let's go swimming or something,” Chantal whined, walking further into the recording studio and wrapping her arms around James' neck as she stood behind him.

“But I don't like swimming,” James muttered, leaning back in his chair and looking up at Chantal behind him.

“Deal with it, come on,” Chantal pulled his chair back and pushed him out of it before literally forcing him out of the dark room. James briefly blinked and groaned at the bright light from the hallway before stalking towards his bedroom, muttering something about not liking the weather.

“Mumbler!” Chantal yelled after him, already donned in some shorts and a tank top while she was wearing her bikini under it, her sunglasses safely placed on the top of her head and her feet clad in some easy shoes.

“I have every right to mumble!” James yelled back from his bedroom, making Chantal smile and shake her head at him before moving towards the living room and laying down on the couch, waiting for James to get out of his room and come with her to the pool so she could get some refreshment in the hot weather, and it would perhaps also do him some good, perhaps James would tan a little bit, who knows, Chantal hoped so, seeing as how pale he was.

“I can't believe I'm being dragged to a pool of all things,” James complained as they towards the pool, holding hands just like they normally did.

“You've been saying that for the past 15 minutes we spend walking over here, stop complaining, hell, it might do you some good,” Chantal nodded, stopping him from entering the building before smiling slightly at him and kissing him on the lips, “please try to enjoy yourself, for me?”

“Alright, but don't look at me like that.”

Once they got to the pool area itself, after waiting to pay and getting dressed, something that roughly took half an hour, James' eyes widened in alarm when he realized that he was surrounded by kids. Chantal patted his back and assured him he would be alright but James stood there looking at the kids running around the pool and jumping in while yelling at each other for a good 2 minutes before snapping out of it.

“You alright?” Chantal asked worried, laying down her towel on one of the chairs that stood there for parents to sit in if they were sick of sitting in the water all the time with the children.

“Can we leave now?”

“We've only been here for 5 minutes James, not even close, we're not leaving,” Chantal pointed out before pushing him towards the pool and making sure he fell into the water the moment he reached it.

“Did you really have to do that?” James asked, glaring slightly at a laughing Chantal, still not in the pool.

“Yeah, you were being grumpy again,” Chantal said between laughing fits. James sighed and swam to the side of the pool before pulling himself up and sitting down with only his legs in the water.

“Hey, I didn't know you could swim,” Chantal frowned, “and here I thougth you never swam before.”

“I never said I couldn't swim darling,” James smirked at Chantal who glared at him before sighing and realizing he was right.

“So, what's supposed to be so much fun about this?” James raised an eyebrow, looking at Chantal who finally got into the water and swam over to him at a slow tempo, laying on her back in the water and smiling up at him.

“The water is a refreshment, admit it makes you feel much better already.”

“Not really,” James pouted.

“Stop lying, you suck at it.”

James chuckled and moved his feet in the water, trying to realize what was so much fun about swimming in such weather. Then again, the water did cool him off so he didn't really mind, the only problem was that he couldn't drink it, too much chemicals in the water. And just when he was really thirsty. Before he knew it, Chantal had pushed him back into the pool before jumping in herself. The only thing that James loved about the pool was the fact that Chantal walked around in her bikini, which gave James quite the eyesight.

Then again, James wasn't the only man in the pool, and Chantal wasn't quite the most ugly woman around the pool, there were several of them walking around in their bikini, which gave both James and the other men around a good view, but even James had to admit he kept his eyes more on Chantal and that she got looked at by many other men too.

“James, hello, earth to James,” Chantal waved her hand in front of his eyes before he blinked several times and shook his head out of his daydreaming before pulling Chantal closer to him and giving her a kiss on the lips, smirking inwards as he saw some of the other man glare at him from over Chantal's shoulder as they both pulled back from the kiss.

“Stop teasing the other men,” Chantal slapped James on the arm before smirking and giving him another kiss.

“As soon as you stop teasing the other women in the pool,” James smirked, wrapping his arms around Chantal's waist and pulling her closer to him.