Status: Active, Please be Kind <3

The Maiden and the Rock star

Chapter Four The Curse

Chapter Four
The Curse

We taught Brian the few things he would need to know in order to blend in before continuing on our way. Luckily he was a fast learner. I looked over at him smiling as we grew closer to the capital. He seemed a little more relaxed on the horse Tara brought back for him. Tristen and the others were riding ahead of us. Brian looked over at me and smiled.
“So, what is it exactly you’re supposed to be doing?”
He asked as we grew closer to the city gates. I smiled at him as we came to a stop, I didn’t know how to explain the ceremony to him exactly. I turned my gaze towards my brother and the others as they passed through the gates.

“Well, I am being anointed as High Priestess of Phenoria. Which is just a fancy way of calling me the battle maiden with the blessing of the goddess. It is my lives mission to defend this land and all who dwell within it from all forms of evil”.
I explained. Brian frowned at my explanation looking almost like he felt badly for me.
“Who protects you though? That’s a lot of responsibility. One person in charge of defending every life. What about the Queen?”
He asked as we dismounted the horses and let the gate keeper take them to the stables. I followed alongside Brian as we walked.
“Well, The Queen rules the land. She keeps order and does all the political stuff.”
I said as we walked. Tristan and the others waiting ahead of us by a stand that was selling food. Brian looked at me crossing his arms.

“Wait. So if war breaks out then what happens?”
He asked stopping me now. I smiled up at him.
“Then I take charge and end the war no matter the cost”.
I responded. Brian narrowed his eyes to slits.
“And so what the queen just sits on her ass and waits for you to solve her problems?”
Brian roared a little too loudly. I took his arm leading him aside away from the onlookers. Giving a light sigh I released his arm.

“Brian, you can’t talk like that here. The Queen’s life is of more value to the people then mine. If I have to sacrifice myself to save everyone else then it is my duty to do that”.
I explained in a clam tone. And for some reason, my telling him this only made him all the angrier. I sighed gripping his hand keeping him from going over and starting a screaming match with the others.

“Brian, its fine. It’s my reason for being, the goddess chose me to do this and I am honored to do it”.
I continued. Brian shook his head crossing his arms again.
“This isn’t right. Sacrificing one life to save millions of others. What makes your life any less important?”
Brian said looking like he was ready to argue about this all day. I smiled at him giving my head a light shake.

“Nothing, but a life who chooses to protect the lives of others. Is a life well spent”.
I smiled at him before going to join my brother and the others. I touched Tara’s arm getting her attention. She looked back at me and smiled but her smile faded when she saw the look on Brian’s face as he stormed towards us.

“Keep him away from the Queen, I don’t want him getting arrested”.
I said in hushed tones. Tara nodded finishing her apple.
“Distract the human. Not a problem”.
She said before going towards Brian and keeping him from approaching us. I turned to Tristan taking his arm as he offered it to me. We made our way up the steps and through the gates. As we entered the castle the guards showed respect by fisting their hands to their hearts and bowing. Tristan and I approached the throne where the very young Queen Liliana was seated. She smiled at the sight of my brother. It was no secret that Liliana had her sights set on Tristan since we were kids.

“Tristan. It is good to see you again”.
Liliana beamed then her eyes found me and I saw the plastic fake smile on her lips that was really just Liliana gritting her teeth at the sight of me. Liliana believed it was my fault that Tristan refused her when the truth was, Tristan cared for her as much as I cared for her brother.
“Well, I guess the ceremony can begin. The Priestesses are waiting for you. Tristan please make yourself comfortable, in fact you can stay in my chambers if you wish”.
Liliana beamed at him yet again. Tristan smirked shaking his head.

“Actually, I am staying at the inn with the other guardians. We have a new member and he is reckless. I will need to keep eyes on him”.
Tristan said and for the first time since Brian arrived here, Tristan actually looked grateful for Brian’s presence. I was escorted away while Liliana sneered at the sight of me. Here I was the human shield that meant she would always be protected and she hated me. I was taken back to the guest house where My armor was removed and I was given a sheer white gown to wear that was very see through, but it was the garment of the goddess and all High Priestesses wear them when they are anointed.

The anointment is a privet ceremony then I am given the High Priestess crown in a public ceremony that takes place after the anointment. The priestesses were gathered around the pool of tropical blue water that was blessed by the last High Priestess. I submerged myself into the water’s refreshing warmth and lowered myself to my knees as the priestesses entered the pool with vases of water also blessed and stored the anointment began. While they sang the chant of our goddess I was given the blessings.

I closed my eyes accepting what a true honor this was. As I sat there accepting the blessings I heard the Goddess speak to me on the wind.
“You will be my eternal chosen, you will be the last High Priestess Phenoria will ever need”.
Her voice whispered and when I opened my eyes the blessings were over and the lead priestess helped me to stand smiling at me she placed a kiss on both my cheeks.

“May the Goddess bless you High Priestess. I look forward to serving you”.
She said. I smiled at her giving a curt nod in response. I emerged from the pool and felt more blessed then I had ever felt in my life. I was given sky blue corset top gown to wear. I changed into the gown and was given rose colored armor to wear as well. My hair taken back into a braided style. I lifted my gaze realizing that my eyes had become a darker shade of green. Like pine trees.

I rose to my feet and followed the priestesses from the guest house as they sang the chant of the goddess loudly casting rose petals on the ground at my feet allowing me to walk on them. We could hear the people cheering as we approached. People lined the streets waving and cheering for me. I noticed the look on Liliana’s face. It was twisted with jealousy because she believed the people loved me more then they loved her. I saw Tristan, Tara and Roux smiling at them. Brian stood with his arms crossed still looking angry about everything. I walked up the steps and kneeling before Liliana who put her fake smile on again as she lifted the rose gold tiara that was forged by the goddess for her chosen defender. She held it up high smiling out at the crowd.

“Today is a blessed day, today we honor the one chosen by our goddess to guard our lives. To value us above herself. And to die by the hands of whatever evil the goddess sees fit to kill her”.
Our eyes locked and I only smiled at her. Liliana placed the crown on my head and I rose to my feet hearing the cheers from the villagers. Liliana had a smug expression on her face as we locked eyes. But before she could say anything nasty she was thinking of. She was cut off by the slow sarcastic clapping of a man cloaked in black.

“Bravo High Priestess, you have survived long enough to be anointed”.
I looked back at the man cloaked in black as he emerged from the crowd that gathered around. Tristan was quick to my side drawing his sword and blocking me off. Tara and Roux followed his lead drawing their weapons and surrounding the man.
“State your business!”
Tara seethed at him. The man smirked looking at the three of them.
“Ah, and so the comrades step forwards to defend their beloved High Priestess and dear friend. How touching”.

The man said with an evil smile on his lips. He looked from them to me.
“But you and I both know they are powerless to stop me from killing you, don’t we Priestess”.
He said taking another step forwards. As he did, Tristan, Tara and Roux lunged forwards to strike him down in a combined attack that would have worked on anyone else. The man threw up his hands sending them all crashing backwards through the crowd causing everyone to scream in horror. The man moved in a blur of black smoke reappearing at the top of the steps grabbing me by my throat. I winced looking up at him. A maddening grin on his lips as he gazed down at me with his coal black eyes.

“Let her go asshole!”
Brian growled from the bottom of the steps holding his sword the way I showed him how. The man lifted his eyes to Brian and laughed at him as he lifted me off the ground.
“Who is this? A new player in our little game?”
The man laughed charging up a ball of energy in his hand that I could feel was fatal if it touched Brian it would kill him.

My eyes going wide in horror I wanted to scream out at him to stop. Brian kept his eyes narrowed.
“I won’t fucking tell you again cock sucker let her go!”
Brian roared once more. The man only laughed at him sending the blast of fatal magic at him. I watched in amazement as Brian moved out of the way effortlessly pushing forwards charging the man with narrowed furious eyes and gritted teeth. The man moved to strike him down but Brian was too fast. His sword driving into the man’s stomach. Forcing him to drop me down on the steps. I gasped for air gaping up at Brian as he stood his ground in front of me trembling down he dropped the sword falling to his knees.
“How the fuck did I do that?”

The man narrowed his eyes at Brian and I holding his stomach as he stumbled backwards.
“I don’t know who you are, but you will not stop me!”
The man roared before sending another blast towards me. Brian lunged tackling me backwards the blast hitting his back sending us flying. We hit the ground hard. I winced looking up at Brian as he used his body to protect me. The man held up his hand to the sky swirling darkness began to take everything over.
“I, Leonard! Demon Warlock of the Damned curse the people of Phenoria! Rise my army for today we consume the world of light and rebirth!”
He boomed. Screams rang out as monsters shot up from the ground and started devouring people. I got up with Brian’s help.

“Get everyone out of here now!”
I called to him. I knew Brian was still in shock but he seemed to understand that now wasn’t the time to be in a shocked state. I needed him to focus on getting people out of here. Tristan, Tara and Roux sprang into action fighting off as many monsters as they could. I ran towards the steps seeing Liliana was trapped by two large monsters. Even if she was a complete bitch to me for no reason. I had a job to do. I threw out my hands casting a powerful ice spell and grabbed Liliana’s wrist pulling her with me. I knew she would have rather been saved by my brother. But now wasn’t the time to pout over the fact Tristan wasn’t interested in her.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3