‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Word in Progress - Will try to update once to twice a week

Flying High

4. Unspoken

4. Unspoken

(Regular POV)

The Flyer’s landed in Chicago the next day. Max stepped off the plane and was hit by a gust of wind and he heard one of the guys grumble.

“Damn wind nearly took my hat!” Max located the voice, it was Wayne Simmonds.
“It’s an ugly hat any way,” Giroux chirps as he passes both men to get on the bus.
Max spoke up as they climbed on the bus, “Ehh it’s not as bad as Roo’s suit.”

Claude flipped the two men off from his seat before slipping headphones on. Coach called for everyone to take their seats so they could head to the hotel.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

I sat on my bed and stared at my phone. I was contemplating on calling Nicole. Duper had said that she was answering calls and texts now but I wasn’t sure she would answer mine or not; I hadn’t tried since the trade announcement.

“Dude, it’s not going to call itself if you keep staring,” Mason said; we were rooming together on this short trip.

I let out a sigh, “I know, but I don’t know if I should call or not.”

“Just do it. What’s the worst that could happen?” Mason said as he tried to style his hair.

“I don’t want to bother her,” I say which gains his full attention; Mase was one of the few guys on the team that knew about mine and Nicole’s relationship – a product of too much alcohol.

“I seriously doubt you be bothering her. From what you’ve said, she misses you guys; even made up with Staal and Crosby. So grow a pair and call her,” with that Steve leaves to meet up with some of the others; leaving me to stare at my phone in piece.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

My finger hovers over the call icon. After staring at my phone for an extra ten minutes I had decided to give Nicole a call. But her picture lite my screen before I could work up the nerve. I freeze as the phone rings a second time. On the third I answer.

“Hello?” my voice cracks and I groan inside.
“Max? Is that you?” Nicole sounds nervous; maybe she thinks one of the others had answered.

“It is. How are you ma belle fille?” the fraise sneaks out before I can stop it and I groan again.
Nicole giggles, “I’m good. How are you? How’s Philly treating you?”

“I am doing well. Philly isn’t that bad actually,” I say, picturing the city – green eyes flash across my vision but I push the picture aside.

“That’s great! Listen I was wondering if we could meet up maybe? If you want too. You could bring some of the guys and I’ll bring some of mine,” Nicole always did have a bad habit of rambling when she was nervous.

I laugh, “What is this? An old western? Show down on Madison. Breathe Nic. I would love to see you. I was just about to call, actually when you did.”

Nicole laughs, “Well it will be tomorrow when we kick your Flyer ass. How about you come to my place? I can show you the apartment. You’ll be the first to see it.”

“That sounds great Nic. I’ll be alone so you don’t have to bring any dogs if you don’t want, I mean it’s your place, obviously you can have whomever over you want……damn now I’m doing it,” we laugh at our awkwardness. Nic gives me her address; I grab my wallet and room key and head down stairs to hail a cab.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

The doorman must have been expecting me. He lets me into the building and directs me to the elevator. I reach for the button but the door of the lift opens before my hand touches it.

“Max!” I hear and look up to see several Blackhawks staring at me.

I smile and reach to shake the men’s hand, “Toews how are you? Boys,” I give the others a nod as they step off the elevator.

“Nice to see you, Nicole’s home, if that’s where you’re going,” Johnny’s face reveals more than he’s saying but I brush it off.

“Yeah, she called me. Asked if I wanted to hang out before we wipe you all tomorrow,” I chirp my fellow Canadian; I notice one of the younger players, Shaw, giving me a death stare when I mention Nicole inviting me over.

He gives me a smirk, “Yeah, good luck with that. Look we have to head out, but we’ll see you. Keep in touch,” I immediately understand his meaning. Jonathan shakes my hand again before he and the others leave; Shaw glares at me again as he walks away.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max's POV)

The lift was quick and I find myself standing outside Nicole’s apartment. I go to knock, but the door swings open before I could and I nearly hit Nicole in the face.

“Whoa! Easy there buddy,” Nicole jumps back and gives me a smile.

The boys were right – she had lost weight over the summer. Her petite frame looked even smaller in the large hoodie she was wearing; but she was still so beautiful.

I look back into Nicole’s dark eyes and a smile spreads over her features, “We have to stop doing that,” she states, stepping aside and letting me in.

“I think we are doomed to forever greet each other that way,” I give her a cheeky grin as I survey the room. The furniture looked comfortable and the decorations were Nicole spot on.

“You can sit where ever,” Nicole says as she takes one end of her sectional, “The guys should be gone, so you don’t have to worry about that.”

I sit on the other end and turn to face her, “Yeah, I ran into them in the lobby. Toews really vague when he told me you were here. Almost as if the others didn’t know I was coming.”
Nicole blushes and I know I’ve caught her.

“Johnny was the only one who knew. He encouraged me to call you and I didn’t want the others to stick around. Don’t get me wrong; I love my new team, but I wanted to catch up without other ears around. I thought maybe you would have some questions for me like the guys back home,” Nicole’s blush deepens when she realizes what she has said.

“Nicole,” I start, “Are you happy here?”

A tear formed in the corner of her eye but she brushes it away, “Yeah I am. I just miss the guys and you and how things were before everything happened. I just didn’t realize how much I missed all of you until I saw you again.”

“Why did you leave Nic? I know the Pens wouldn’t have traded you; you worked too well with Sid and G for that,” I’m tempted to move closer – the need to comfort Nicole was still strong; even after our history.

Nicole let out a small laugh be for saying, “I didn’t want to cause any more problems. I thought that by leaving I would be helping the team. Plus it was a fresh start for me. No one to pressure me to make a decision that I wasn’t ready to make – selfish I know,” she gives me a half smile as I process the information.

“I understand,” I say after a few moments of silence pass, “That is why I signed elsewhere too; but you guys would have worked it out, just so you know.”

“We did,” this admission catches me off guard, “Sidney wants to try being friends. It’s hard; we fall back into old patterns sometimes and there are awkward moments; but we admit to it and move on. Jordan was willing to back off. He decided he wanted me in his life and he would be willing to be friends only. Which I’m glad – he was one of my best friends, you know. I missed him…..missed them both…..now I need to fix things with you.”

I meet her gaze as she continues, “I’m sorry for ignoring you this summer; and I’m sorry for the way I treated you after we broke up,” I go to stop her but she holds up her hand, “Let me finish. I was horrible to you and then did the same thing to Sidney. It was hypocritical of me and I’m sorry for that. I miss you in my life and would like to remain friends but I would understand if you don’t want too.”

When she finished speaking I moved, wrapping my arms around her and pulled her close, “Oh, mon fille. I was never mad at you for that. I was disappointed; I had placed you on a pedestal and believed you could do no wrong and I am sorry for doing so. I set you up for failure in my eyes and that was not right. As for this summer, I was worried, but I understood. I would have wanted time and distance too. You needed it to sort out what was going on in that never resting mind you have. I’ve missed you also.”

Nicole hugs me close and I can feel the wetness of the tears she finally released.

“Thank you Max.”

I kiss her forehead; hoping she understands what I cannot say aloud.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max POV)

I stay for a while and we continue to catch up. I fill Nicole in on the explosion at Flowers place over the summer. Nic was angry that the guys in Pittsburgh had left out the fight between Sidney and Jordan; but I told her not to worry – clearly the two men had come to some agreement if they were willing to reside in the friends’ zone.

I had to leave though as curfew neared. Walking back into my room I see Mason on his bed and Claude had taken residence on mine.

“Well, well….. Look who’s finally back. And where have you been Mr. Talbot,” Claude asks playfully.
“Went to see a friend,” I say casually, we all know who that friend was,” How was your night?”

“Steak house with the boys. Same old thing, different day,” Claude smiles as he gets off the bed and stretches, “But I believe I’m going to turn in now that you’re home. Try not to worry us again okay buddy?”

“Sure thing Dad,” I chirp as he walks out the door; laughing the whole way.

I go through my nightly routine before finally settling into my bed. I try getting comfortable but I can feel Steve looking at me.

“What?” I question.
“How was it, really?” Steve asks.

I sigh, “It was good, mostly. We had some serious things to talk about, but we handled them. She wants to be friends and I’m okay with that.”
“Okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Things seem to be better between Claude and Max but time will show if that stays the same.

How are you guys liking the story so far?
did the way i cross the story make since?

As always let me know what you guys think!
All comments and suggestions are welcomed!