‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Word in Progress - Will try to update once to twice a week

Flying High

8. New Winds

8. New Winds

(Breeze’s POV)

I walk into the arena on Monday ready to work. I was shown to the media department and was promptly introduced to the team that I would be heading.

Chase and Chance Drew were my camera and tech guys– thank God they were fraternal twins. An intern, Gray, was my gopher – or in other terms – my runner.

“Well guys, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Hopefully things will go smoothly. To be honest though, I was unaware that I would be working with a camera crew,” I say, giving the men a sheepish smile.

“That was my idea,” I turn and see Natalee standing at the door, “The fans want audio commentary along with the photographs. Since you have some experience with directing and knowing you’re superior organizational skills, I figured you could handle this small curve ball.”

I give Natalee a hug and a smile, “Of course, I have a few ideas already.”

“Fantastic! Well I will leave you to it then,” Natalee walks out of my office and I turn back to the three men, “Let’s get to work.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

My head was not in the practice. I couldn’t get those baby blue eyes out of my head. Breeze – what a fitting name for the whirl wind of a woman.

I absently skated near the glass, not really paying attention to the people on the other side as they blurred together.

A flash caught my attention but it was the woman behind the lens that held it. A crème top with a pink sweater led to mint green pants. Her dark locks were pulled up and away from her face, but the black framed glasses and piercing baby blue eyes were the same. She gave me a small smile before lifting the camera back up – taking several more shots of the team practice.

A low whistle jolted me from my thoughts, “Wow Talbo, you know her?”

I looked at Claude then looked back at the woman who was now directing three men, one with a camera, one with a boom stick, and a third with a clipboard, “Breeze….her name is Breeze.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

Breeze was surprised to see the man from the coffee shop on the ice, Max. She had never paid much attention to the sport – her dad had been a Saints fan and on occasion would watch the Braves play. Now she was wishing she had paid better attention.

After practice had been called, Breeze and the Crew made their way back to edit some of the film. She wanted to have a hype video up for the fans that night. Working for an hour with Chase, Chance, and Gray, the group clipped together a video worthy of the website.

Breeze sent the three men home after – the team had a road trip they were leaving for the next morning – and she wanted to take some stills of the arena for the website before they left.
Breeze walked through the maze of corridors before deciding that she was lost. Taking one last turn in hopes of finding the ice again, she came face to face with a solid body.

“I’m sorry Miss! Are you all right?” a pair of sturdy arms steadied me.

I had to look up – way up – to see who I was talking too, “I’m fine,” I say, taking a step back.
The man held out his hand, “I’m Steve and this is Jakub. Sorry about the run in.”

“It’s okay, really. It’s probably my fault….I’m lost,” I admit to the duo.
Jakub smiled but Steve was the one to talk, “Let us help you then. It’s the least we could do.”

The pair led me back down the hall I came from and turned left, “If you go right it will take you in a circle. Don’t ask me why they built it like that,” Steve informed me.

“Well that explains a lot,” I say; the phrase is loaded with sarcasm which causes the other two to laugh.

Five minutes of chit chat later, we emerge back by the player and staff parking entrance. The two walk me out and I can see three others waiting near a grouping of cars. As we get closer I can see another pair of red heads and, to my surprise, Max.

“What took you guys so long?” the male red head asked.
Had to help a damsel in distress,” Steve says with a chuckle.

“My heroes,” I say, making the female giggle.

“I’m Cassidy,” the young woman offers, “This is Claude and Maxime.”
“Breeze Jones, I’m the new team photographer,” I introduce myself to the others,” Do you work here too?”

Cassidy smiles, “I don’t. I was just picking these four up. Claude, Max, Steve, and Jake are on the team.”

Her statement is matter of fact without a condescending tone, which I appreciate – I really need to look over the roster before the road trip.

“Well, it was nice meeting you all but I have to run,” I shake hands with the group before heading to my car.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

We watch Breeze walk away before Cassidy speaks up, “I like her.”

We turn our eyes to the fiery red head, “And why is that mon fille?” Claude asks.

“She’s real,” Cassidy’s answer is cryptic but not unexpected. We climb into the SUV – Claude is driving.

“She was pretty cool inside,” Steve offers his input, Jakub silently agrees.

“You should get to know her, Max,” Cassidy’s words cut into my thoughts.

“And why am I being volunteered?” I asks, Claude just smiles.

“Because you’re the only one who has met her outside of this building and she couldn’t keep her eyes off of you in our brief conversation,” Cassidy says, “Get to know her.”

“Maybe I will,” I say to no one in particular.
♠ ♠ ♠
Breeze starts her new job, gets lost, and meets several of the guys along with Cassidy.

i apologize for the shortness of he chapter and a filler one on top of that, but it was needed - most first days of a new job are boring anyway....right?

Let me know what you guys think!
As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!