Status: On-going

The Last Goodbye

Chapter 5: No more

“Should I call the waiters and tell them to remove all the sharp objects?” Melisa joked as we sat alone at the table.

I shrugged in response before going straight into the reason why I wanted to speak to her.

“Mel I’m done fighting” I stated as I looked into her eyes. “I don’t care about how you and Marco got together all that matters is that you are with him and you guys are settling down and preparing for the future. I’m not going to sabotage that. In fact me being here – supporting you - as you prepare to make him your husband is proof that I’m ready to move on and I want to move on” I finished as she looked at me in shock.

“Dani…I… I don’t know what to say”

“You don’t have to say anything. Just promise me that we are done fighting” I declared as put my hand on the table for her to hold.

She hesitated in the beginning but finally let her hand cover mine as a tear slipped down her cheek.

“You know I don’t deserve your forgiveness” she began but I interrupted her, wanting to forget the past.

“I’ll decide what I deserve” I assured her as I tried to get her to understand what I was doing. “So in the meantime I want you to focus all your attention on making sure that you have the best wedding Dortmund has ever seen. I’ll be there to support you all the way” I offered as she stood up before rounding the table and giving me a hug.

When we pulled apart, both our eyes where wet but we seemed to have reached a silent agreement that meant we would no longer be angry at each other. We had both had moved on.

I was moving on with my career now being my focus as I was set to become a physiotherapist at Real Madrid – a promotion I should probably tell my parents about before I left permanently for Spain.

While she would move on and become Mrs Marco Reus – a title I once thought I would have - I held no grudges over that now especially seeing as she was set to be his wife in three days.

***

“So… how was it?” Sebastian questioned as we waited four our massages at the spa Melisa had booked out for her bridal party so we could have a pamper day ahead of her wedding in two days.

I rolled my eyes at his eager demeanour as I sat comfortably, trying to tune him out.

“Oh come on Daniela. Spill it. Did you stab her? Did you make her bleed? Should we resize the dress so you can fit into it?” he teased as I held in a laugh.

“The answer to all those questions is no. I told her I had moved on and so should you” I said with no emotion and without looking at him.

“Booo. What’s the fun in that? I thought we came back to fuck shit up. This is so not fucking shit up” he said loudly.“Dani, I don’t understand. I thought you came back to win Marco back but now you are giving up on him? What happened?”

I slowly turned and looked at him before answering.

“I thought that’s what I wanted as well when I landed but the more I get sucked into this wedding, the more I realise that it’s so not worth it. Mel actually loves him and he seems to love her back. I’m not going to mess that up because of my feelings towards him. I have to move on from this, goodness knows he has” I explained

“Do you think she cared about you when she slept with him the same night you planned on giving your virginity up to him?” he snapped at me as I bit my tongue, and held in tears as I remembered that memory of walking in on them. “You know damn well she didn’t care about your feelings when she took him from you so I don’t know why you don’t do the same to her” he tried to encourage but I shook my head no.

“I can’t Seb. She may have hurt me badly but I can’t do the same to her. And anyway it takes two people to cheat and it’s not like he was forced into sleeping with her” I explained as he nodded. “I know you think I’m being a coward but that’s ok because I actually like going to bed at night with a clear conscience. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I hurt her for hurting me” I acknowledged as Sebastian huffed.

“I hate how rational you are” he sighed as he leaned back into his chair.

“I know. You should try and be more like me” I laughed as he threw a grape at me.

“Oh please honey we both know you are no angel” he teased as I raised my eyebrow in confusion. “Have we told our lovely parents that we are moving to Spain?” he smirked as I looked in the opposite direction.

“Not yet. The timing hasn’t been right” I attempted to explain but he laughed. “What? It’s true? With the wedding and excitement I haven’t found the time to let them know” I said lamely as Seb shrugged.

“Whatever. I just think you are scared to admit out loud that you are not ready to leave Germany and your past with it”

“I am ready to move on” I snapped at him as he shook his head, not believing me.

“Oh really?” he began as he raised a challenging eyebrow. “If you are so ready to move on with your life, why haven’t you spoken to Marco directly to tell him you forgive him?”

Shit.

Seb had a point there. For a girl who is insistent that she had moved on with her life, I still hadn’t spoken with the one man who I needed to confront in order to get complete closure so I could move on.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…