Empty With You

Attitude

I woke with a start, a clap of thunder echoed through the house. My heart racing.

Besides the occassional wind, thunderstorms would still grace this city of Chicago. It's what kept the crops growing for Amity and probably kept our water supply flowing.

Thunderstorms didn't bother me before but it woke me from a horrible dream I was having, not a dream, a nightmare. I couldn't get my pulse to slow down as I tried to catch my breath, a cold sweat stuck to my body.

"Hey," I heard his voice next to me whisper into the night. "You ok?"

"Yeah," I ran a hand through my hair and turned to look at him. "Bad dream."

"You sure?" Eric sat up in my bed to kiss my shoulders.

"Yeah," I faintly smiled at him then got to thinking. "How'd you manage to convince me to let you spend the night again?"

"It's because I'm so damn attractive," He smirked as he layed back in bed.

"You're full of yourself," I looked down at the sheets half covering his body.

"Well, I was fully-" He started.

"Don't you dare finish that sentence," I glared at him as he smirked.

"You weren't complaining earrlier," He taunted.

"Eric, I swear," I shook my head. "I shouldn't of slept with you in the first place a month ago."

"Why?" He propped himself up on his elbow.

"Because I miss just sleeping next to you, my best friend with none of that other stuff," I shrugged.

"What'd you dream about?" He questioned as he watched my body changed.

"I couldn't save you," I whispered into the night not looking at him. "There was an attack and....and...I couldn't..."

"Hey," He whispered and sat up next to me. "I'm ok. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."

"Oddly enough, I've heard that before," I scouffed.

"Ari," He turned my face to look at him. "You mean the world to me. I don't know what will happen to us, I can't promise anything after the Choosing Ceremony or hell even the Aptitude Tests, but I can tell you that no matter what, we'll find a way to still be something."

"Promise?" I questioned. "I just don't want to hurt you or get hurt."

"Promise," He smiled and kissed my lips. "I won't hurt you."

"Yeah," I sighed.

"Think you can get back to sleep?" He questioned as he layed back down in bed.

"I'll try," I slid under the covers and curled up next to him to have him put his arms around me.

"I'll protect you, Ariana Jade," He whispered with his eyes closed. "I won't let anyone ever hurt you."

My eyes slowly drifted off to sleep, slowly taking me back into the peaceful sleep next to him. It wasn't until the morning hours when I felt sunlight hit my face and the sound of shouting from downstairs of the house.

I shifted in bed to feel Eric roll over and groan, throwing an arm over his face as I smirked. He looked so peaceful sleeping, but the footsteps coming up the stairs thought otherwise.

"Get dressed," I shoved Eric off my bed as he gave me a look. "Now!"

I quickly threw on a pair of black pants, a white low cut t-shirt, and the black dress jacket just as Eric pulled on his black pants and someone pounded on my door.

"Ariana Jade, you better be ready for classes, and don't forget you have to be at the Eaton House after," My mother barked through the door.

"How could I forget?" I mumbled.

"Am I clear?" She barked out.

"Of course!" I shouted angrily back at her.

"Ariana, watch your attitude," She threatened but her feet moved away from the door.

"Well that was nice," Eric chimed in as he pulled his shirt over his head.

"Shut up," I glared at him and went to pull my hair back in a pony tail for the long day ahead.

"So, class today?" Eric leant against the wall next to me as I applied some eyeliner.

"I really don't want to go, but I don't know." I shrugged. "It almost seems unimportant."

"You want excitment, don't you?" He questioned as I nodded. "What if I told you, there's a part of this city you haven't seen yet?"

"I'd say, you tempt me way too easily," I smirked at him.

"I always do, don't I?" He pushed me slightly.

"Such a jerk," I shook my head.

"But I'm your jerk," He smiled brightly.

"Meh, only if I really wanna screw Erudite," I shrugged and finished my eyeliner and grabbed my lipgloss.

"Damn Candor," He mumbled.

"Come on," I grabbed his hand and walked him to my bedroom door.

"Wait, what are you doing?" He questioned.

"Being bold," I smirked at him and lead him through the house.

I honestly didn't care if it upset m family or anyone in Candor that an Erudite had just spent the night in my house. Honestly, if anyone thought people only dated in their Faction, they were dead wrong. No one was that interesting in Candor. Who would want to date someone who is always so open and honest anyway.

The two of us headed to our first classes of the day, keeping some distance from each other like always. Factions to me, didn't make sense when it came to relationships like this. If two people loved each other, why should it matter?

The teacher or professor rambled on about something about history of the city or Factions. My mind wandered towards everything, except now I kept starting at Eric, watching his every movement. We were such different people when we met. How we ended up together now, would be a mystery to anyone. But now, now I seen why all those girls would fall over him when he was younger. He was smart, seductive, sly, and a bit of danger.

"Hey Ariana," I heard a girl's voice next to me. "Ariana, hello. Earth to Ari."

"Huh," I shook my head. "Oh hey."

"What were you thinking about?" My friend, and fellow Candor, Gwen asked with a smile.

"Oh you know, boys," I smirked at her.

"Ah your boy," She smiled at me as I blushed, "Eric."

"Noooo," I tucked a piece of hair behind me ear. "And how does everyone know about that?"

"Come on, seriously Ari," She gave me a look. "You two aren't that secretive about your relationship.

"True," I nodded as I stretched out a bit to catch the time. "But hey, I gotta go. I got some fun internship thing, I guess you could call it."

"You sound so thrilled," She smirked.

"Tons," I stood up. "Catch you later?"

"Of course," She smiled as I grabbed my bag and headed over to Abnegation.

The walk wasn't half bad. The rain stopped, leaving only clouds and a cool breeze to go through the city. I wish I didn't have to wear this jacket but of course, that wasn't an option right now. No, instead I made my way over to the house that I was directed to, the one in which Marcus Eaton lived.

My nerves were on edge as I knocked on the door, waiting for an answer, playing with the hem of my shirt when a boy, about my age opened the door.

"Um, hi, I'm Ariana Simms," I fidgeted at the door. "I'm supposed to report here to Marcus Eaton as a part of my punishment."

"Don't let him hear you say that," The boy mumbled as he stood in the door. "But my father isn't home right now. He's still at the office."

"Oh," So not the response I was looking forward to. "Um, I could come back."

"No, it's fine," He shrugged and moved out of the door. "I'm his son, Tobias Eaton."

"You don't sound thrilled about being his son," I commented as I walked through the door.

"It's fine," He gritted through his teeth.

"All you Abnegation think you're good liars," I shook my head at him. "And you're not, by all means, but you. You, I wouldn't dare anger."

"What do you mean by that?" Tobias turned to look at me.

"You're hiding something," I nodded at him.

"Is it Candor's nature to pry?" He questioned.

"No," I shook my head. "Sorry, it's just me. But I'm sure you've heard plenty about me from the council members."

"The girl who defies everyone?" Tobias smirked. "You're famous."

"So not the fame one would look for," I mumbled and sat on the couch. "Look where it got me."

"Why exactly are you here?" Tobias questioned.

"To get an attitude adjustment," I rolled my eyes. "Apparently my attitude is that bad."

"You don't seem that bad," Tobias started as he went to sit when the door to the house opened.

"Tobias," Bellowed the man in the suit. "Go upstairs to do your school work and leave the girl alone."

"He wasn't bothering me," I protested as Tobias just gave me a look and disappeared up stairs.

"You must be Ariana," He watched me while putting his briefcase down.

"And you're Marcus Eaton," I pointed out. "So obvious."

"That attitude of yours won't work here," He gave me a look as I now death glared him.

"How do you mean?" I stood up and walked towards him.

"Because you will not speak to me in such a matter while you're here," He sternly looked at me in some scare tactic, I think.

"So what, you plan on telling me that I'm not to see that Erudite boy while I'm here and I'll treat my parents with respect, is that it?" I cocked my head to the side.

"Yes," He nodded.

"Like hell," I mumbled. "Whatever you want to teach me, you can forget because my parents were the ones who put me through so many truth serum therapies yet my brother can say anything he pleases."

"Because he respects them," Marcus pointed out.

"I'm sorry, but you know nothing about my family-" I started.

"I know more than you think," He raised his voice a bit. "Stealing cars, skipping on lectures, tumbling off ledges of buildings, joining a Dauntless gymnastics meet. Need I continue?"

"Wow," I smirked. "I sure know have a good time."

"Enough!" Marcus snapped.

"You know," I watched him. "You don't like when people stand up to you. Do you? I can see it, your eyes get wide, the blood rushes to your face. You're nothing but a scared Abnegation."

"I said enough," Marcus snapped as he slammed his fists down on the desk.

"It's why you know nothing about my family, they've already outcasted me just like every damn one of you on the council," I glared at him. "Go ahead tell me life will be hell. I've seen it all. It doesn't scare me at all."

"You will report here every day, after class," Marcus gritted through his teeth. "And you will do what I say."

"Or what? It's not like you can do anything to me. You're just another high authority, self lov-" Then it happened.

I felt the blow hit my face. Directly towards my cheek. It stung. A lot, actually.

I could feel the tears sting my eyes. I hadn't been hit in a long time. It wasn't even by my parents when I first got hit. I had gotten in a fight when I was 11, some girl smacked me in the face and I attacked her. Then had to go another round of Jack Kang and the truth serum.

But this was different. This was hard. It was angry. It hurt. It silenced me.

"Your parents gave me permission to discipline you how I see fit," Marcus continued like nothing happened. "And if I see fit, I will carry out those punishments."

I kept my gaze to the ground as he continued, "Again, I repeat, you'll be here everyday after classes, on time. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes," I barely whispered.

"I didn't hear you," Marcus bellowed.

"Crystal clear," I gritted through my teeth.

"Good," He nodded. "Now, Tobias went to do his school work, I suggest you join him."

"Yes sir," I glared at him as I picked up my bag and walked towards the stairs.

"Second door on the right," He mentioned as I growled under my breath and walked in the direction of the room.

I came across the door and knocked lightly to see Tobias open it slowly. My cheek was still really red and hurt as he opened the door for me.

"You're dad sent me here to work on homework," I mumbled slightly.

"You ok?" Tobias watched as I shook my head.

"Let's just get to work," I sat down on a chair. "That way I can get out of here."

"Sorry to bore you so much," Tobias crossed his arms.

"Can we please," I sniffled slightly since I was angry and upset and he wasn't helping.

"Ariana," Tobias walked over to me.

"Tobias, please," I pleaded as he sat down next to me and moved my head towards him.

"Who did this to you?" His face washed over with concern. "Was it your boyfriend?"

"No," I moved slightly but he stopped me and looked at the hand print on my face. "I just don't know how to control my attitude."

"Was it him?" Tobias questioned in a low whisper.

"Look, I just met you and I don't think I should tell you all this," I smiled at him. "You seem nice and I don't want to drag you into anything you don't want to know."

"I can relate to you more than you think," His eyes searched mine as I swallowed.

"I doubt it," I smirked at him.

"You don't let people in very often do you?" Tobias questioned as I shrugged. "Not Abnegation."

"No offense," I looked at him. "It's just, I don't know."

"It's how we were raised," Tobias shrugged. "But you know you can trust me."

"We'll see," I smiled at him but knew he was honest. "Um, hey, maybe we can pick this conversation up later? I just have someone to meet."

"Sure," Tobias nodded. "Tomorrow?"

"As long as Marcus sees fit," I rolled my eyes.

"I'll talk to him," Tobias shrugged. "I could see a study partner."

"Alright," I smiled. "Tomorrow."

After checking back with Marcus, I finally got to leave his I convinced him that I had finished my school work. Sure I didn't. But I wanted to be far way from that house and to recollect myself.

My feet walked along the city streets, taking extra time to myself since I didn't want to face anyone. I didn't want anyone to see the mark on my face or the tears in my eyes.

I just couldn't believe it. Was my attitude that bad? Was I that bad of a person? If I was, why couldn't I see myself being a Candor the rest of my life?

I knew I was going to leave Candor, I just didn't know where I'd end up. I could be Factionless, it just wasn't for me. I couldn't be Amity. I had too much anger in my life. I couldn't be Abnegation. I was too selfish and conceeded. Erudite? I don't know if I had enough smarts to be one of them. Dauntless?

Hmm Dauntless?

What was it like to be one of them? They were always so free, always so full of energy. Always so daing. Maybe....

"Ari!" Eric's voice broke my concentration as I walked. "I've been trying to get your attention for the past five minutes."

"Sorry," I smiled lightly at him. "Just deep in thought."

"About?" Eric questioned as he grabbed my head.

"A lot," I shrugged.

"I know something that'll make you feel better," Eric smirked.

"But I don't want to fuck you right now," I whined only to hear him chuckle.

"Not that," He smiled as he pulled me along. "You said you wanted to know about the city?"

"Yeah," I drew out as he looked back at me.

"Come on," Eric smiled.

I followed him down the street until he pulled me to his old decaying building that had the words "LIBRARY" cracked and fading over the top. I stopped to take it all in when Eric pulled me up the stairs and into the doorway.

"I found this the other night," Eric smirked as he pushed the doors open. "It's old and dusty and I don't think the founders wanted us to find this but I did."

"Eric," I looked around to see dark and dusty shelves, full of cowebs. "It's amazing."

"And I'd knew you like it. There are a ton of history books on what this city was before we were here," Eric looked around then back at me. "I figured we could read some of the books here and since no one is ever really around here, we could come here to escape."

"It's beautiful" I wrapped my arms around Eric. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," He smiled but it faded as he looked at my face. "Hey, what happened?"

"Oh," I back away from him. "You know me, I was practcing some tumbling and hit my face. No biggie."

"Ariana," Eric warned.

"I'm fine," I smiled at him as he rolled his eyes.

I kissed his cheek quickly and headed to check out the library with the boy all the girls want folowed me.

I didn't know how to tell Eric what happened or even if I could. I wasn't even sure I knew had to take it in, what had happened.

All I knew, is this experience was about to change my life in more ways than one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this seems so jumpy and filler-like. I've just got so many ideas floating in my head