Catnip

12. Babies Are Not My Forte' Darling

About a week later I found myself taking a pregnancy. Why? I had no clue. There was no way I could be pregnant. I don't even think I had a female reproductive system within me. Then again, I've heard of these places where you can sell hybrids with a female reproductive system. I believe this was where Austin was taking me to be sold. Which frightened me. I had no clue what was going to happen after that.
I thought taking this pregnancy test was stupid. I knew that I couldn't be pregnant. Even if I was, I don't think I'd be able to handle the news well. It may be a baby, but I could not bring it into a life like mine.
I groan, I needed to stop thinking like I was pregnant. There was no way I could be.
While I waited for the test result to appear, I washed my hands thoroughly. I then sat down on the edge of the tub, messing with the sleeves of my grey jumper mindlessly.
When the time was up, I stood up and went over to the pregnancy test.
It was positive.
I place a hand over my mouth from shock. I then shakily picked the white stick up by the opposite end and opened the bathroom door. Alysha was sitting on the bed, clearly waiting for the results.
I handed her the stick before sitting down next to her.
"What now?" I asked
"I'll have to show him this. Alan, I'll try my best to convince him if you want this child. If not, I'll let him do what he does best when a hybrid gets pregnant." She spoke sympathetically.
"I want to keep it-them,he-she, whatever it is." I answered. I completely regretted the thoughts of wanting to get rid of this child-or children.
I saw Alysha nod a little bit out of the corner of my eyes, since I was looking down at my stomach, running my fingers over my no existing bump.
Alysha stood up, and headed out of the door. She closed it lightly behind her, barely making a noise. While she was gone I laid on the white blanket that covered my whole bed, I ran my fingers mindlessly over my belly.
It was quite amazing how there could be a fetus growing inside of me right now. That fetus could lead to a baby. A baby that I would damn sure protect with my life.
-
Thirty minutes later I heard the door open. I quickly sat up, pulling the grey jumper over my stomach. I looked at the door to see Austin and Alysha standing there. He had a finger on his bottom lip, probably thinking of what to do.
He glanced at Alysha then to me. I moved so I was siting with one foot under my thigh and the other leg sticking out on the bed. My hands messed with my sleeves while I waited for Austin to speak.
"C'mon. I want to make sure that this is real, and not just a faulty test." Austin spoke finally. I nod lightly, not bothering to tell him that that test was one of the best ones to take for hybrids.
I got off of my bed, pulling my jumper down again when it rose up. I then followed Austin to the medical area of this house. A few moments later I was seated on one of those hospital beds while the doctor drew blood to test. I also had to pee in a cup, which I had done before they drew blood.
Austin was sitting in a plastic chair, watching the doctor while he did his job. Thirty more minutes passed before the tests results finally came back in. I sat on the hospital bed, having just finished eating a cookie or two since the doctor had taken some blood away.
"Well, you are indeed pregnant. I won't be able to know how far along you are unless we do an ultrasound?" he glance at Austin, who just nodded.
"Alright, meet me in the ultrasound room." The doctor then got up and left, probably to prepare the ultrasound room.
I went to stand, but feeling a little dizzy I sat back down. Austin was standing next to the bed, rubbing my back gently.
"You okay?" he asked. He had some nerve to ask this question. He probably only wanted this child to either A. ) Sell it or B.) sell me and it as one.
"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied, getting up without his help.
-
"This may be cold." I heard the doctor say when he placed a gel on my stomach. I hiss from the coldness, but say nothing against it. A few moments later the doctor spoke up.
"It's not too old, roughly 8, maybe 9 or even 10 weeks." The doctor turned the screen around, pointing to a light dot in a black area on the screen.
"This is the growing fetus, while this black area is the sac." The doctor, who I had yet to learn his name, pointed out the areas with the tip of a pen.
"It's so small." I muttered, placing a hand over my mouth in amazement.
"Now, we can either keep track of fetus' growth, terminate the pregnancy, or wait to decide what you want to do." The doctor turned off the machine, handing me napkins to clean off my stomach.
I cleaned the gel off of my stomach, throwing the napkins away and pulling the grey jumper down and over my stomach. I glanced at Austin, wondering what he was thinking.
"I think we are going to wait for a few days to decided what we are going to do about this. I have to discuss things with Alan, to see what we can come to terms on." Austin replied, looking at the doctor while he spoke.
"Well, for now I'll just give him some pills to help with possible morning sickness, and to control the hormones. They'll be in by this afternoon.'
I nod in acknowledgment, glancing over at Austin and wondered what we were going to decide on. The doctor then left, a silent way of saying you could leave. I stood up carefully, so I didn't slide on the ground with these knee high socks.
-
"Do you really want to carry that thing inside of you for the next 7 months, Alan?" Austin asked the moment we got back to my room.
"I want to carry this child inside of me. If you don't want to deal with this you could just sell me off with it and let the person who buys me from you deal with it!" I snap back, he's been trying to convince me to side with him and get rid of it since we left the doctor's office.
"I don't want to sell you, or that thing- that child- away to some other person." He stood in front of me, keeping his voice calm, while I was threatening to curse his ass out.
"Why don't you want to sell me, or our child? Huh? The way I see it you would have less to deal with because of me." I said, even though I didn't want him to sell me off at all. I wanted to stay here and wrap myself in a blanket of false security.
"I will not allow you to be sold." He spoke firmly, he locked his eyes with mine.
"Why not? Isn't that what you wanted all along?"
"I don't know!" He made hand movements with his hands, moving away from me and running a hand through his hair.
I looked at him with slight confusion.
"How do you not know?" I asked, my voice quieter than what it was.
"I just don't know. You've got me so confused." He muttered the last part more to himself than to me.
I bit my lip while I thought.
"How about, we think about this over night and tell each other our opinions if they change?" I suggested.
He sighed, nodding lightly.
"It's probably the best to think about this. I'll see you later." He swear I heard him mutter 'I'm falling for you' or something along those lines, under his breath.
I must be loosing my mind, I thought to myself before sitting on the bed and trying to think this situation through.