Wildest Dreams

Family

Samantha and Mia arrive just in time as Brian calls out that the burgers and ribs are ready. As the smell of grilled food drifts across the backyard my mouth waters. I've got to hand it to my brother, he is an expert at grilling.

Cash is sitting on my lap at the oversized patio table bouncing up and down, excited to eat. Matt takes the seat to my left at the head of the table and reaches out to tickle his son. Cash giggles loudly and tries to leap into his father's lap to tickle him back.

"Nope." I latch onto my son's waist and hold him against me

"But, mama." He whines.

"Nope, no buts. Don't get him started." I tease Matt, knowing well that if my son gets distracted from eating, he will end up not even touching his plate.

The conversation is lighthearted and as everyone takes their seats and starts passing around the dishes of food, I'm reminded of how lucky I have been to know these people. To call these people my family.

Samantha took the open seat beside Kyle across from me and I can tell they are getting along well since they've been talking since Sam got here. I also can't help but notice the way my new best friend eyes my very single brother. When he introduced himself she blushed more than I've ever seen her.

Just before I dig in to Zack's macaroni Brian comes over and rests his hands on my shoulders while he leans down to whisper in my ear.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" I give him a concerned look as he helps me scoot my chair back to stand. Matt holds his arms out for Cash and I place the boy in his lap before following my brother into the kitchen.

"What's wrong?" I ask, concern lacing my tone.

"I just wanted you to be prepared, I invited dad." I open my mouth to respond but no words come out. "And he just pulled in. He wanted me to warn you before he came inside."

"Why didn't you tell me before?" My voice is low.

"I was afraid you'd freak out." I can tell he feels bad, but that doesn't make me feel any less nervous.

"I haven't spoken to him, Bri. I've been back for weeks and I haven't even called him." Brian places his hands on my shoulders as I start to freak out.

"He knows everything, Mariah. You don't have to explain a thing to him."

"You told him?" I look up to meet my brothers chocolate gaze.

"I figured it would be easier for me to tell him than you. He's seen pictures of Cash, and I've kept him updated. I thought it was best to keep you two at a distance until you got settled.

"I'm nervous." I admit. I haven't felt like this since the first morning back when I had to confront Brian for the first time in two years.

"It's dad. He loves you no matter what." Brian takes out his phone from his pocket and types a quick text before shoving it back in. "I told him the coast was clear. He can come in now." I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding as I hear the front door open. Brian gives my arm a squeeze before leaning in to kiss my forehead.

"I'm going to let you guys talk. Come out when you're ready."

"Thank you."

The sound of footsteps round the corner into the kitchen and I'm face to face with my father for the first time since before I had my son. The scruff on his face is a little more grey, but he's still the same dad I remember

"Dad." He's across the room in a second and wraps me in his arms. I expected yelling, accusations, cursing. I get none of those. I get a hug so tight I can barely breathe and when he pulls away I think he might cry. My dad has never cried in front of me.

"Mariah Lane. I thought I'd lost you." He hugs me again and this time I'm the one with tears in my eyes.

"I'm sorry." I whisper out into his shoulder and we stand like that for a few moments before he releases me.

"You look good." He holds me at arms length to look me up and down. He's not one for sentiments, so I know that means so much more than it sounds.

"You do, too." I smile, a real genuine smile. My dad doesn't hate me and I thought this night couldn't get better but it has.

"Brian told me everything. The boyfriend, the sweet kid, all of it." My eyes flicker down to my feet as shame washes over me. My dad knows everything including what I was doing for a living.

"I was stupid. I never should have left." He is silent for a moment before answering.

"You were stupid for leaving, but we were worse for giving you a reason to leave. We should've trusted you. We let you down. I let you down." He slings an arm around my shoulders and starts to pull me towards the door. "Now let me meet that kid of yours." A small laugh escapes my lips as we make our way back out onto the patio.

Matt stands from the table to come over and shake my dad's hand, but Brian, Sr. hesitates for just a second.

"Do it right, this time, Sanders. We were all rooting for you." My father warns.

"I know. I plan to." As my dad reaches to take Matt's hand relief washes over me.

"Well who do we have here?" Dad asks as he kneels down to get a look at Cash who is sitting in the place I just was, turned to get a glimpse of the new person standing behind him. There's a playful smile on Cash's lips.

"I'm Cash. That's my mama." My son stares up at me with nothing but adoration and I reach down to scoop him into my arms. My dad stands up so they're at eye level.

"Well, Cash. Do you want to know a secret?" Cash nods his head with excitement.

"Just like Matt is your daddy, I'm your mama's dad." My son's eyes go wide as a bigger smile spreads across his face.

"Wow, mama." The little boy takes my face in both his hands and kisses my nose. "You have a daddy, too." I don't miss the small chuckle that slips from Matt's chest but he quickly covers his moth to stifle it. I roll my eyes at him, remembering his silly remark earlier, and hand my son over to his dad.

"Feed the beast, please. I want to talk to my dad." I take my seat once more at the table and pull out the chair beside me.

"You can sit here." I motion to the older man behind me and he gladly accepts. Throughout dinner I catch my dad just looking at me while everyone talks and laughs. He's leant back in his seat with his chin resting on his hand and his other arm slung across the back of my chair. He doesn't care about the food or much else as we all catch up, and warmth spreads through my chest.

My eyes flicker from Matt holding our son, to my two best friends getting to know each other, and lastly to my brother joking and messing around with his best friends.

Life is finally back to the way it's suppose to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
More to come soon! (: leave me lovely comments!