The Tick Tock of the Clock

massive changes

“Pete.” I stated walking around his house. “Jack… Mikey.” I sighed as they began playing hide-n-seek in the clutter that Pete was slowly shifting, moving and selling. “Don’t get hurt and don’t break anything.” I got an okay back form Mikey. “And don’t tell your mom.” I added getting another okay from him. His mom didn’t know we’d left my apartment, but the kid needed to stop being so sheltered. “Pete.” I called again moving through the clutter.

“In here!” Pete’s voice rang through the house. Lifting my hands I waited. “Garage.” Echoed out.

“Thank you.” I stated. “Come on boys.” I stated not even looking back at them as I walked through the propped open door. “What are you doing?” I muttered. Stopping the second I noticed Pete standing on a later.

“Hanging lights.” Pete stated lightly, smiling down at me for a second before going back to hanging up the light up blue icicles lights meant for outdoors and Christmas.

“Christmas lights?” I asked softly as the boys rushed out past me. “Stay away from the ladder.” I stated the nodded chasing each other over the couched and around the band equipment, thankfully there wasn’t and cords laying on the ground.

“Does his mother know he’s here?” Pete asked climbing down the ladder and watching them play. Shaking my head I watched them as well. “Wanna help me hang lights?” he asked holding up another strand with a wide smile.

“No.” I stated simply. “It’s your house.” I mused. “And you’ve gotta meeting for the up coming tour, so go get dressed.” Groaning Pete dropped the lights and huffed into the house. “You’re twenty-eight, act it.” I laughed at him.

“But I don’t wanna.” He whined back. Rolling my eyes I watched the boys.

“Let’s go play out front with Hemmingway.” I smiled at them as they stopped. They had yet to meet Hemmingway. “Come on.” I laughed walking back through the house and onto the front lawn, the boys falling curiously. “You guys wanna meet Pete’s dog?” I asked walking to the side gate.

“Yeah!” Mikey gasped as Jack nodded his eyes, both with wide eyes.

“You sure?” I asked placing my hand on the gate. They both nodded vigorously. Laughing I opened the gate and whistled. I watched Hemmingway come bounding down the side yard happily. “Hey boy.” I stated petting his head as he slowed down by my legs. That is till he noticed the boys. Barking he bounded over to them knocking Mikey over. Standing up right I watched Hemmingway lick his face a she giggled. Jack wrapped his arms around Hemmingway’s neck pushing his body weight against the poor dog.

“Ella? Ella?” Quickly I moved to the door and peered inside. “God, I thought my mess ate you.” My lips twisted into a smile. “I mean my organized clutter!” He stated pointing at me as the boys giggles and laughter rang into the front door. “what is going on?” he asked walking past me to look at them. “Aw… how disgusting.” Reaching up I slapped Pete roughly in the arm. “Ow.” He whined.

“Get dressed.” I stated noticing he was still in the same cloths as before.

“I am.” He stated lightly adjusting his shirt. “It’s for tour not for something major!” he gasped throwing his arms up in the air. “Hemmingway, house.” Pete yelled pointing at the house. Hemmingway hesitated but did as told. “Boys, car.” He stated

“Hey, hey, don’t boss them.” I gasped closing the front door and making sure it was closed. “Now you, car.” I laughed pushing him towards it as the boys stood by the SUV. “Now. Chop chop and by the way a tour for you is major you twit.” Pete threw his arms in the air again as we made are way down his front path. “and learn to cut the lawn.” I added as the boys began pulling out the long pieces of grass to entertain themselves.

“yes ma’am.” Pete sighed lightly as he held his hand out. “Keys.” He mused.

“Do you even know where we’re going?” I asked pulling open the passenger door and putting the boys in their booster seats to keep them safe.

“No, but I’m driving.” Pete stated. Laughing I pushed him towards the passenger door. “Come on.” He whined.

“You’re a big boy, act like it.” I teased walking around the car.

“You’re mean to me, why do I love you?” Opening the door I looked at him through the window.

“Since when do you love me?” I asked confused as I climbed in and buckled up. I stopped feeling eyes on me. I glanced at Pete getting in the car and staring down at his phone. Blinking I looked at the woman across the street, she was watching us. Smiling I waved at her. She smiled and waved back before going back to tending her small garden.

“You’re mean to me.” Pete stated as I drove off down the street. Shrugging I focused on where I was going. “I think the bus is picking us up form my house right?”

“You mean your moms house.” I stated. Pete shook his head.

“I want them to come to my house, like the one we just left.”

“What is it with you and these massive changes lately?” I asked glancing at him. He shrugged lightly.

“Change is good.” He mused. “Right boys?” He asked, not getting a response.

“Yeah, good luck with that one.” I laughed