The Tick Tock of the Clock

ta-da?

“I don’t think this is working.” I laughed softly as Pete and I sat in Red Robins. There was a group of teenagers sitting at the table next to us, just staring at us with wide eyes and open mouths.

“Yeah…” Pete laughed softly glancing at them. “I can’t even eat.” He whispered looking down at his untouched food. For a date it wasn’t much of one. We’d been practically mauled by friends with in the first few minutes of getting out of the car, and now there was a massive group of teenagers staring us down. “It makes me feel fat.” He added.

My hand moved over my mouth as I glanced away from him, trying not to laugh at him. He frowned at the action and pouted out his bottom lip.

“I’m not making fun of you,” I stated before he could say a word. “You said it.” I mused as my phone began ringing. Sighing he lifted a finger pointing at me. “Hello?” I asked lightly.

“Who is it?” Pete asked quickly leaning across the table reaching for my phone. Slapping at his hand I held the phone away from my head.

“Back off.” I snapped putting it back to my ear. “Hello?” I asked again.

Mommy?” My heart stopped at the small voice.

“Hello?” I asked again. I got a happy ‘mommy!’ back.

“Who is it?” Pete growled, lifting a finger I pulled the phone away from ear looking at the name on the caller ID.

“Pat?” I asked putting the phone back to my ear. “Pat?” I asked again not hearing anything.

Please come get your child from Patrick’s babysitting service…” Pat’s voice trailed off softly. “Now would be good.” He added before hanging up.

“What’d Pat want?” Pete asked lightly nibbling on a French fry. His eyes shifted to the other table. “What?” He gasped at the teenagers. “I’m not an alien or a porn star, so stop staring. It’s kinda creepy and I can’t eat my food.” The teenagers hardly blinked. Turning he glanced at me. “I think they’re possessed.” He whispered.

“We have to go.” I stated lifting my hand from the waitresses attention.

“Why?” He mused.

“Because we have to go get Jack.” I stated simply. “To go boxes and the check please.” I stated softly. She nodded and left with a wink in Pete’s general direction. Which captain obviously clearly missed.

“What’s wrong with Jack?” Pete asked quickly, his attention focused on me now. “Is he okay? What happened?”

“I don’t know, Pat just said we had to go get him.” I stated lightly taking the check before Pete could. He made grabby hands at the black leather book.

“I’m paying.” He huffed as I put one of the credit cards Pete gave me in the book and closed it.

“I know.” I smiled at him. He snatched the book from my hands and opened it.

“That’s mine.” He stated. I nodded as he paused. “Oh yeah I gave it to you to pay for that… thing…”

“For Bill’s Birthday and then for the Honda Civic tour.” I stated.

“You’re the most amazing assistant I’ve ever had.” He mused softly. I nodded as we put our food into the take away boxes and waited for the lady to pick up the check. “So what’d you thinks wrong?” He asked softly. Shrugging I worried my bottom lip.

“I don’t know, but Pat wasn’t the first one to talk.” I sighed lightly, watching as Pete’s brows narrowed confused. “I think… I think he was messing with me.” I whispered.

“Well that wasn’t helpful to me at all. I still don’t know what happened.” He sighed.

“A small voice said mommy.” Pete froze as his mouth dropped open. Slowly he lifted a finger pointing at me while his mouth began flopping open.

“He… he talked?” Pete gasped.

“Pat’s voice is just fine.” I mused lightly, confused.

“I mean Jack.” He huffed. I shrugged lightly at him.

“Oh my god.” Pete and I both glanced at the table next to us full of teenagers still staring at us. “You guys are together.” One girl gasped. My eyes darted to Pete then back at them.

“Right.” I mused at them as Pete snorted and placed his hand over his mouth.

“You guys have such a cute son together!” She gasped at us.

“We’re not together.” Technically we weren’t together we were just on a date that was suppose to be just between us for now.

“Really?” She asked before sliding into our booth next to Pete. “Well I’m single too.” She smiled up at Pete. I watched as he pushed himself into the wall.

“Really, I would… I would’ve never guessed.” He laughed nervously. “Help me.” He whispered in my direction, wide eyes. I shrugged lightly.

“She’s right you’re both single.” I smiled at him. His mouth dropped open. Laughing I took the credit card back form the waitress and smiled at her. “Let’s go Pete.” I stated getting out of the booth. “I’ve got another kid to pick up and I don’t want to have to come back for you and then later what ever ends up popping out of her nine months later.” I stated.

“Hey, don’t be mean to me. Excuse me.” He stated grabbing the to go boxes and following me.

“I thought you liked me.” Pete whined as we got in the car. My eyes darted to him.

“I do. But that doesn’t mean I’m still not going to pick on you.” I mused softly as I backed out of the parking lot and headed for Pat’s house. Pete grumbled lightly. “Stop complaining, I don’t take little boys, I date big boys.”

“I’m a big boy.” Pete smirked at me. Rolling my eyes I pushed him lightly. “I am, you’ve seen the pictures, right?”

“I thought we both agreed those pictures were a bad idea and a mistake.” I stated

“They were, but you’ve seen them, right?” He laughed at me.

“Sadly enough yes.” I laughed lightly with him.

“Do you…” Glancing at him I frowned. “umm… never mind.” He cleared his throat and looked out the window.

“That’s what I thought, big boy.” I snorted. His laughter filled the car.

“I think this is going to work.” Pete mused softly looking over at me. My eyes darted to him before back to the road. “I really wish we would’ve done this sooner.” He added. His hand slipped into mine and gave it a small squeeze. Smiling I licked my lips in attempt not to. “So do you think Jack’s okay?”

“I’m more worried about Pat, Jack’s a little terrorist.” I stated lightly as we weaved between traffic.

“Yeah? What makes you say that?” He asked softly. Laughing I shook my head at him.

“Remember when I had William and Jenna babysit?” I asked softly. He muttered a soft ‘yeah’ “He pulled out some of Will’s hair and ruined his leopard print bandana.”

“So he attempted to kill William.” I nodded softly.

“But he liked Jenna cause she can’t talk either.” I mused softly. Pete hummed lightly.

“So do you think he’s attempting to kill Pat?” I nodded at him. Laughing Pete slapped his leg. “that’s priceless.” He gasped.

“You could be out a singer.” I stated. Pete shrugged lightly. “And a friend.”

“Touché.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't believe people thought I was actually ending.
I put:

Maybe...
in the end.
This stories not ending for a while, a long while.