Status: This is not going to be completed unless I get some inspiration to re-write it.

Lab Rat

Scent

Shifters often live in areas with other shifters, so they don't have to completely hide their identities. They live in packs, with an Alpha that oversees everything the others do. Since humans are less and less accepting of them, they don't want to risk living within the same communities; however, some shifters believe that they're safer in human communities.

Jonathon is one of those alphas that prefer to live among the humans. Alone, no one could question his humanity. He attends a local college and is working on majoring in biochemistry. He is in his last semester and just found a temporary job that will give him the experience he'll need to find a better career. Jonny has his last four classes on the weekend, so he has the whole week to study, complete assignments, and work as a lab technician.

Jonny wakes early in the morning during the week. He showers, brushes his teeth and hair, and changes into his work clothes (which is usually scrub pants and a white v-neck). He eats a quick, healthy breakfast in the car on the way to work. Jonathon greets his coworkers as he enters the high security building. He uses his badge to operate the elevator and go down to B5. The laboratory on this level is mostly all equipment. There are no patients down here; unless you count their blood samples, then there are a lot of patients. Jonny looks at the desk on the far wall away from the equipment, and he goes through his colleague's and his previous notes.

The thorough notes explain recent blood tests, diet change, behaviorism, and much more. It is almost as if this creature (his colleague informed Jonny it was a dog) was right in front of him. He knew so much about this animal.

"Good morning, Alex," Jonny greeted his coworker. The other man smiled and sat in the chair beside him.

"I just got back from doing another test. I just need to write down the current results. I'll check on him in about an hour, see if he calms down any."

The day goes by just like any other in the work place. Jonny and Alex continue their tests throughout the day. Alex goes and makes changes with the canine's medicines every few hours, and Jonny examines the results. However, near the end of the day, Alex had to check on something on a different floor for one of their bosses. The timer for the next dose of medicine went off, and Jonny decided he'd do it. He moved down the hall and took a left when the hallway split. He continued walking down the hall until he was hit with a scent of beta. He first thought, maybe there is a beta working here, but then he realized something... They were the subjects. Jonny started to feel sick, as he followed the trail of help, sick, beta. He could scent several betas, each having a slight variation: chocolate, campfire, lilac, rain, etc.

He tried not to let his nose change his exterior expressions, as he opened the door to where the shifters were being kept. Whimpering, mewling, groaning entered his eardrums, and he had to do something. He had to get them out.

He approached the cages, and he started unlocking them with his key card (useful, but dangerous because security now knew). When he noticed the wolves barely moving to escape, he went back to do another round through the cages. Using his alpha tone, he told the wolves to shift. Most of them were sober enough to listen. A young girl was one, and she immediately started asking him questions.

"What are you doing?"

"How are we getting out of here?"

"Where are we going? Where will we stay?"

"Are we going to be safe?"

"Will they come after us?"

Jonny tried to answer them all honestly, but he didn't even know some of the answers. His replies though seemed to help the girl relax, and she helped him wake some of the shifters and get them to follow. They stole some lab coats and clothes from the next room over. Just as they started to leave the hall, the girl stopped.

"We can't leave him."

"Who?" Jonny asked. They had already gotten all the shifters from the lab.

She brought a finger to her chin. "I don't remember his name. He's in solitary. He was very keen on getting out. A lot of us were when we first got here. He just never seemed to stop trying."

"Let's find him then."
♠ ♠ ♠
First, I'm not a science major so some of my information probably is wrong. Second, below are the shifter genders in more detail.

Alpha: They are natural born leaders, who are in control of themselves (and usually a pack as well). Alphas are dominant, and others find them intimidating. Alpha females are infertile.
Beta: They are comfortable with themselves and show it. They are very attentive and observant. Betas can be dominant and submissive. Beta females can have children, but they usually have complications during pregnancy.
Omega: Whether they are male or female, omegas are the child bearers. They are naturally submissive and reserved, but if they feel their children are threatened they will become aggressive.