Status: Updated Weekly

Lucidicy

CH 5: Moniker

I didn’t dream at all last night, I had slightly hoped to dream about HIM. My roommate woke me up to tell me it was nearly noon and I shouldn’t waste the day away. She was right, I had important things to do. Like stalk Mystery Man. I wouldn’t call it stalking, I’m just curious about his name.

“All right Sue Ellen I’m going to work, see you later.” Krista slung her purse over her shoulder. I looked to the couch, Ben was completely passed out.

“He’s just got a hangover, he’ll leave when he wakes up.” she told me. I furrowed my brows, he better be. I watched my roommate leave and drive off in her car parked by our mailbox. I made sure she was out of sight before stumbling my way out the door. I have a car too, I just hate driving it in the snow, especially when it’s an easy walk to down town. It does get cold but at least I save like a hundred bucks a month. Mr. Fitsimmons would be at the shop already so I don’t get the chance to walk with him today. That’s ok though, I was eager to get to town, eager enough to walk faster.
What if Mystery Man already left town? That made me walk even faster, I made it to the block my parents shop sat on. Just then I saw the door open from the shop. I immediately saw him, paper bag in hand. I stopped and hid behind the nearest doorway of the building I stood next to. I could smell the incense coming from the shop doorway, it was Mrs. Frits flower shop. Mystery Man walked around the corner. He’s heading towards the Grand Masters Hotel. I followed very slowly, I was at least a blocks distance behind him, lucky for me he never turned around. Wow because that doesn’t sound creepy. He opened one of the bronze front doors to the Grand Masters Hotel. I stood in front of the building for a minute looking up and down all six stories of it. It’s tallest building in town, and the oldest too. Though it looked grand like something you’d find in the outskirts of England with cobblestone siding and white drapes. I’m sure he’s in his room by now.
The stupidest idea clicked in my head, I can look at the front desk guest book, and every person who stays there signs their name. Not many people are probably staying there, I mean it’s the dead of winter. I can probably wager what his name is based on the few names in the book. Before I could think about how stupid I was being I was already at the front desk waiting in line behind a couple. The front clerk handed them a key, they conveniently asked him to help with their bags. He told me he’d be with me in a moments. I waited until he was in the elevator with the couple before I peeked over the counter. There it is, the book. I reached and picked it up, I turned it to face me to read and set it down. The couple had signed their names at the very bottom, he must be on this page. I started from the top, the dates didn’t match, I thumbed down to night before last’s date. There were five possible names. It definitely wasn’t Paulina Stevens, the first one for that date. Jake Monroe, Luke Wilde, Stacy and Henry Stax…

“You could have just asked me.” a voice said next to me. I stepped back startled, THE MYSTERY MAN WAS LEANING ON THE COUNTER NEXT TO ME.

“Uh what?” I laughed stupidly.

“Were you following me?” he raised a brow.

“What no,” I could feel my face heating up “I was making a delivery.” I lied quickly.

“You guys deliver?” he asked.

“Yeah…all the time.” I lied again.

“Thought you said you weren’t working today.” he replied. Man he’s quick.

I didn’t know what to say after that, I ran out of lies, there was an awkward silence. He stood up from leaning against the counter and crossed his arms.

“I think you’re too scared to ask my name so you went way out of your way to find out,” he nodded at the guestbook. I glanced at the book before picking it up again and setting it in its rightful place on the other side of the counter. “So I know three things about you. Your name is Sue Ellen. You work at Willy’s Drugstore, and you’re a bad liar,” he said teasingly. “So aren’t you going to ask me?” he raised his brow again.

“W-what?” I stuttered.

“My name?” he smiled. I can see he wasn’t going to just let me walk off now. He’s generally interested, or entertained by my idiocy.

“What’s your name?” I finally gave in.

“Leland,” he told me sincerely. Leland. The answer I’ve wanted to know most of my waking life. His name is Leland “Lee for short.” he went on.
I wanted to ask him why he came to our crappy little town in the dead of winter. Maybe he’s just passing through, I don’t know how I’d feel about that if that were the case.

“Well I better get going, was on my way out for the day anyway, I just saw you at the front desk and wanted to see you.” he shifted his weight on his other leg.

“Oh” was all I could say. He laughed to himself and uncrossed his arms.

“I’ll see you around Sue Ellen.” He leaned close in a teasing manner and started walking away. My face once again started to heat up.

“Oh by the way, best doughnut I ever had.” he said turning around walking backwards a few feet.

“My dads recipe.” I smiled.

“Well tell your dad he’s a great cook.” he I smiled before going out the door.

“Can I help you miss?” the clerk had returned behind the counter. I shook my head and went about my merry way. Leland…it’s so fitting
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: Possibly Maybe by Bjork