Status: Updated Weekly

Lucidicy

CH 8: Maine

Leland sat at the edge of a cushion on my couch, his hand between his parted knees. I was in the kitchen making hot chocolate in my Keurig coffee maker. I watched him for moments at a time, trying not to stare. Butter sat on the couch next to Leland, he just panted and stared at him. I walked out of the kitchen carrying two mugs, I set Leland’s down on the coffee table in front of him and walked around the other side to sit next to Butter on the couch. Leland took the mug in his hand.

“So…what brings you here to town?” I finally pressed after wondering for days.

“Visiting a friend.” he told me.

“Who, I might know them.”

“Chris Thompson.” he told me.

“Oh.” I said. Chris Thompson, I went to high school with him. I say oh because well…he passed away very recently.

“Isn’t he…?

“Dead? Yeah, funerals tomorrow” he said a bit bitterly, must be a touchy subject.

“Well I know how you feel, lost my friend the other day too.”

“That old man?” he asked.

“Yeah.” I said, surprised he knew.

“Small town.” he assured my wonder.

“Died in his sleep…” I trailed.

Lelands face grew stern like he was ill. He stared for a moment getting pale.

“You ok?” I asked him.

“I should go.” He stood up. “Not feeling well.”

“Do you want me to drive you, I have a car.”

“NO-no, I’ll be ok thank you.” he wiped his brow.

I stood up now too, just then the front door opened. In walks Krista.

“Didn’t know we had guests.” she smiled taking off her jacket.

“Leland this is Krista, Krista Leland.” I said.

“Hi.” she said.

“Hi.” he replied.

“Leland was just leaving, doesn’t feel well, don’t want to keep him hanging.” I grabbed a bit of his leather jacket on his arm. He followed me to the door as Krista stepped away. I tucked my hair behind my ear as he stood in front of me.

“I guess I’ll see you later, when do you leave town?” I asked.

“Haven’t quite decided, might stay a while.” he half smiled, bless his heart he doesn’t feel well. I should let him leave.

I opened the door for him, he stepped outside and waved as he walked backwards to look at me. I waved back and closed the door. Krista sat on the couch with Butter now in her lap.

“So?” she smiled devilishly at me as I sat down on the couch.

“So what?”

“You sleep with him?” she pressed.

“WHAT NO.” I raised my voice.

She railed me for questions about them, most I could not answer because A: I didn’t know and B: they were disgusting. She still finds it so propounding that I’ve never slept with anyone. It’s not like it’s my fault, I always get dumped beforehand. I’m no prude, just saving it is all.

*Knock Knock Knock*

We both looked to the door. Butter barked like a neanderthal and ran to the door. I sighed and go up to answer it. They knocked again just as I opened the door. It was Leland with his arm in the air mid knock.

“Hey so,” he half laughed. “My bike won’t start.”

“Oh, I’ll just get my keys.” I reached to the side of him grabbing my car keys off the wall. I slipped my boots on and threw my jacket on. I told my roommate that I’d be back. Leland closed the door behind me, he followed me to my car. I unlocked it so he could hop in, I sat down and shut my door.

“Thank you.” he pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Oh it’s nothing.” I replied starting the car. A quick five minute drive into town, it was silent. I could only hear myself sniffle through my dry nose. It felt even dryer since it did bleed earlier. I pulled up to the hotel. Leland thanked me again before getting out. I have this thing where I won’t drive away until they’re inside. He walked up to the door pulled on it, it wouldn’t open. He searched his pockets, then looked in the window of the door. I rolled my window down just as he yelled the word shit to the heavens.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I left the damn key card in my room”

“Are you sure it’s not on your bike in a bag.”

“Nope, I exclusively remember leaving it on the nightstand, I never picked it up.”

“Will the hotel front clerk let you in?”

“It’s after hours, he won’t be back until the morning, every person staying here uses their key to get in and out at night/”

“Stay at my place.” I suggested a bit too quickly and a bit too excitedly.

“I couldn’t do that.”

“I won’t let you stay outside in the cold all night, it’s fifty miles to the next town with a hotel.”

He bit his lip deciding what to do. It was hard not to star at his lips. He sighed and got back in my car. When we got back to my place Krista had gone to her room, I assume to call Ben. I took off my jacket and things, Butter came around the corner to greet us. Leland took off his Dr. Martins along with his leather jacket. To my surprise, he had a sleeve, a colorful tatted left arm. I had only seen him with the jacket on, I never knew.

“Where do I-?” he held his jacket.

“I’ll take it.” I gently took it from him. I hung it on the coat rack in the closet. Also in the closet was a small quilt, I handed it to him.

“I have more blankets in my room, a pillow too.”

He followed me, quilt in hand to my room. He stood in my doorway watching me walk around trying to find things. I pulled up the extra wool blanket folded at the end of my bed, I grabbed one of my many pillows and put a new pillow case on it for him. Leland apologized that this happened, I told him I didn’t mind. That’s because I really didn’t mind.

“Do you still feel sick?” I asked. He shook his head. I walked passed him turning out my light. Setting up the couch isn’t too difficult, just lumpy. “The restroom is down the hall across from my room if you need it.” I stood up tall from bending over the couch. Butter jumped up on it.

“Butter no.” I scolded.

“It’s ok I’m not planning on sleeping yet.” Leland said.

“Me either, I’m a night person,” A long silence passed as we stood there. “I have movies if you want to watch a movie.” I suggested.

“Or we can just talk.”

“That too.” my face grew red.

We first started talking about Leland knowing Chris Thompson as a kid in Maine and growing up together. Apparently Chris moved away to this little town, we talked for hours. One subject leading to another, like every discussion goes. Leland expressed his distaste for cheap seafood, because he is from Maine after all and grew up there his whole life. I told him I grew up here, how I didn’t know whether to leave or not. He asked me why I wanted to stay, I honestly didn’t know what to tell him because I never thought up and leaving completely, only to maybe go to college the next town over. He told me he never knew his dad, his mom raised him. That brought up the touchy discussion about my dad.

“So basically you run the place by yourself?” Leland pressed.

“Basically.”

“Your dad owns it right?”

“He did, it’s signed over to my mom’s name, the state technically declares him brain dead.”

“I’m very sorry to hear that, too bad you can’t do what you want with it.”

“No kidding, my dad would want me to sell it, use the money for college, not keeping his body alive. My mom just doesn’t see it like I do.”

Leland pursed his lips “My mom wouldn’t even let me meet my dad, hell I don’t even know if his name is actually James.”

I brought up his tattoo to lighten the mood. He pulled up the sleeve over his shoulder to show it a bit more. Instead of just colors I had seen before, I could see it was a symbol of many circles of some kind surrounded by whipping green and blue water. Hands sprung up from the water like claws reaching for the symbol and beneath the water was what looked like to be a morbid mermaid with black scales covering her body. Leland told me she was reaching for the flower of life.

“I guess I should let you sleep, it’s getting late.” I yawned. Butter was curled up on the couch snorting in his sleep. I picked him up like a baby and cradled him.

“Good night.” Leland looked up at me.

“Good night Leland.” I told him sincerely.

“Call me Lee, my mother calls me Leland.” he smiled.

“Good night LEE.” I teased correcting myself.

“Good night SUE ELLEN.” he did it right back to tease me. I shook my head and made my way towards my room leaving Leland to sleep. I’m sure he can figure out how to turn the lamp off. My bedroom door was left open, in case he might need anything. I set Butter on my bed at the end, he moseyed his way up to me tiredly when I got under the covers. He likes to sleep next to my mom at night, so I will have to do. Just hope I don’t crush the poor bastard.
It’s hard to believe Leland is here in my house, sleeping over of all things.
Image
“Sue Ellen?”

“mmmm” I grumbled into the pillow.

“Sue Ellen.” it sounds like Leland.

“What?” I turned over and sat up. He was in my doorway, I could see his outline from the hall light. I switched on my lamp on the nightstand. His hair was ruffled from sleeping, so was his shirt.

“Lee, what are you doing up it’s like four in the morning.”

“Can I ask you something?” he asked.

“Yes?”

Before I knew it he walked across my room and sat on my bed right in front of me. It made me dip down towards him, my stomach against his back.

“Do you think about me as much as I think about you?” he asked.

“Well…”

“You’re right, I shouldn’t have asked, of course you think about me more. You’ve been ahead for years with those dreams of yours. Like this dream you’re having now.”

“Wha-?” before I could finish the word his lips barreled down against mine. My body writhed, I couldn’t control my hands. I was wrapping my fingers around his neck kissing him back. His breath was hot slipping me his tongue. I’ve yet to dream of this, only fantasized. He pulled away suddenly.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself sweetheart.” he said with the most emotionless face and tone.
Image
I sat up quickly, this one nearly sent me flying off my bed. A fat little pug was looking at me. I picked him up for comfort. I kissed his wrinkly head. It was just a dream.
It was too late to go back to sleep, it was fifteen minutes before my alarm was set to go off. I let Butter down off the bed, his collar jingled as he shook. He led the way into the living room and kitchen. Leland was facing the back of the couch, his blonde hair looked like a mop. Just like that, Butter ran and jumped on his legs. Leland flinched slightly, Butter climbed over his legs and wedged himself between Lelands chest and the back of the couch. He licked Lelands face of course. Leland turned over, but Butter tried stretching over him by standing on the side of his head. By then I was picking Butter up so he’d leave Leland be. Leland sat up, tired eyes searched his surroundings then up at me.

“What time is it?” his voice was groggy, dear lord was it sexy.

“A little after seven.”

He licked his lips with a sigh.

“I’m sorry Butter jumped on you.” I apologized.

“Nah it’s fine I was about to get up anyway.” he rubbed his forehead and ran his fingers through his hair. I couldn’t help but look at his lips with every glance I could get. He looked at me looking at him.

“I’m going to take Butter out and get ready for work.” I announced to diffuse the situation.

I went over to my front door to start gearing up to go outside. I got Butters leash on, next was my boots.

“I’ll take you to the hotel on the way to my work.” I told Leland.

“Sounds good.” Leland stood up stretching, a bit of his shirt lifted revealing his happy trail.

Just go outside, was all I thought. Despite thinking about the freezing cold I also thought about the dream I had. Literally minutes ago I was full on making out with Leland and it wasn’t even real. But it felt real, I could feel it in my chest still, that fluttery heavy feeling. And what was that bit about “getting ahead” of myself? When I returned Leland was laying on the couch again with an arm stretched over his head.

“Did you sleep ok?” I asked tossing my boots off.

“This couch is comfier than the bed at my hotel.”

“Well that sucks since you pay so much to stay there.” I replied. He smiled and nodded. I went on my way to my bathroom to get ready for the day. I had a strong inkling to spend a little extra time on my appearance with Leland hanging around. Then I remembered he did spend the night and saw me just after I rolled out of bed. There would be no point.

I came out from my room phone in hand, I was about to ask Leland if he wanted food before we left but my phone rang. I answered.

“Hello?”

“Did you take Butter to your house?” my mother immediately asked, I could tell she was mad.

“Yes? Why are you calling me now? Did you seriously get home just now to notice?” I pressed.

“YES I just got home, you need to ask me if you can take him with you.”

“Why, you don’t take care of him like you should, so I took him with me so he wouldn’t be lonely”

“BECAUSE HE’S MY DOG.”

“I BOUGHT HIM FOR YOU WITH MY MONEY AND YOU DON’T EVEN TAKE CARE OF HIM PROPERLY.” I hung up. She immediately called me again, I didn’t answer. It’s already embarrassing that I fought with her in front of Leland the first time around. I turned, Leland sat at the edge of the couch. He was wearing his leather jacket ready to go.

“Sorry you had to hear that.” I apologized.

“I don’t mind.”

Leland politely refused a granola bar when we were ready to leave. I told him he could move his bike in the driveway until he could fix it or tow it. He climbed in my car and we were off. I drove a bit slower because it was snowy and iced over from the morning air.

“What time is Chris’s funeral?” I asked turning down a street.

“At noon, I have time to get ready and walk to the church on Avenue.”

The church on Avenue is the only one in town. It is one the oldest buildings in town too. It’s next to the old school that was built in 1858. They built the church two years later. There is an old graveyard across the street from it. I haven’t stepped foot in there since I was a teenager, it was a dare to go and spend the night. I however was chased out by the grounds keeper. Those are my memories of that place.

“I assume it’s going to be quick funeral it’s too cold outside to have a traditional one.” Leland said.

I pulled up to the motel.

“I’ll give you my cellphone number.” Leland unstrapped his seat-belt.

“My number? Yeah.” I smiled brightly getting out my phone. I watched Leland type away on my touchscreen, he held out my phone to give it back to me.

“Text me later so I’ll have yours, I’ll get my bike out of your way as soon as I can.”

He got out of the car, just when I was about to leave he knocked on the passengers window. I rolled it down.

“And thank you Sue Ellen for letting me stay at your place last night.”

“Thanks for being there out on that road last night.” I thanked him in return. He smiled as I rolled up the window. This time he was able to go inside. Now it’s time to go to boring work all day. At least I have Leland’s number now. I’m not going to text him right away, I’d look desperate. I’ll text him around five or so, the funeral has to be over by then. Maybe I’ll invite him over for dinner or something.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song for this chapter: Norwegian Wood by The Beatles