Status: complete ~ see oohyaychicken.tumblr.com for information of its updates

Scars Don't Heal When You Keep Cutting

Chapter Twenty Two

>>>time skip to two weeks later<<<

I drag Ben over to the table we’ve been sitting at for almost two or so weeks. We stopped sitting at Trenton’s table to sit at Sam’s table with his friends. Trenton sits with us occasionally, though, so it’s cool. When Ben and I sit with Cam and Ariel, they smile at us.

“Hey, Brusnop! What’s up?” Cam greets us, and I roll my eyes at our nickname. It got annoying after a while, but they still call us that anyway.

“We both have names, y’know,” I reply as Ben just simply waves his greeting.

“Yeah, but they’re boring,” Ariel says. I dramatically gasp, placing a hand over my heart.

“Awe, you’re mean, my feelings are hurt,” I fake hurt, but she only laughs. “But anyways, where’s everyone else?”

They both simultaneously shrug.

“I don’t know, I think they’re hanging around at the library or something,” Cam tells us.

“And they didn’t invite us?”

“True! You guys should come over to my house after school and they won’t be invited since we’re not invited to the library,” Ariel plots, but Cam shakes his head.

“Can’t, I’m busy today.”

“Doing what?”

“I’m helping my mom at work, remember?”

“Oh. You coming, Danny?”

“Of course, man!”

<><><>

I walk away from my locker and head to Ben’s locker so we could walk to Ariel’s house together. As I approach Ben’s locker, I see Dick Juice whispering in Ben’s ear, making him extremely uncomfortable. I glare and march over to them. I have no time for bullshit, so I merely slam DJ’s head against the locker, grab Ben’s wrist, and drag him out of the school without a word until we make it to the curb, where we will wait for Ariel.

“What was he telling you?” I ask Ben, who only shifted his gaze to the ground.

“I don’t wanna talk about it, Danny,” he whispers in a tone that suggests he’s ashamed.

Fucking ashamed.

“Benji, I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what’s wrong,” I speak gently, pleadingly. He shakes his head and hastily buries his head in my shoulder. I sigh as I pull him into a comforting embrace.

“Is everything alright?” Ariel asks as she finally arrives, motioning towards Ben.

“I don’t know,” is all I can say. “Ben won’t tell me what’s going on.”

She steps closer to him, laying a gentle hand on his shoulder. “Do you think someone said something to him again?”

“I saw DJ whispering something to him.”

“Is that why you’re upset?” Ariel asks, tone as gentle as the circles she’s now rubbing onto Ben’s back. Ben sighs and pulls away from the two of us completely.

“It’s nothing, just forget about it,” Ben says quietly as he starts leading us to Ariel’s house. Ariel and I exchange worried looks before following after him without another word.