Status: Active

Worlds Apart.

Carter

I sat there and stared at the idiots in front of me as they did this whole pony show for a half assed piece of shit they were trying to call work. I don’t know why I kept them this long. I specifically told them that this was their last shot to wow me before they were on the street.

“So… What do you think Mr. Sinclair?” Robert asked as he rung his hands together.

“You had to ask, so what do you think?”

“This was the best we could do with a toilet paper add sir.” Mindy chimed in. “You gave us a dead end task for our last shot.”

“Oh did I?” I said, keeping my voice flat. “Because I thought I handed you two morons a fucking gold mine. The Charmin guys created a home run commercial with a dancing bear with flecks of paper covering its ass and you give me a picture of an Astronaut with a simple slogan “even Astronauts use it.” This is trash, everything you’ve made is trash, I don’t even know how you two were hired because the only role I could find suitable for you two in this company right now is some sort of low level janitorial position.”

“Carter…” I looked over at my assistant’s mortified expression. She had seen me lay into people before, so I don’t know why she was questioning me; especially while I was in the middle of firing someone.

I got up from my seat then and headed out of the conference room, and heard her heels clacking quickly behind me.

“Carter, don’t you think you’re being a little harsh. I thought that was pretty good and you know their fathers are major sponsors of-“

“Fire them, and while you’re at it fire yourself too.” I interrupted as I kept walking to my office.

“What… Carter wait.”

“Mr. Sinclair.” I corrected her. “You’ll be paid through the end of the month, but I want your stuff cleaned out and you gone by lunch.” I opened my office door and turned to look at her. “I’ll be sure to have my new assistant write you a glowing reference.”

She looked at me in disbelief, but before she could say anything I closed the door behind me and took my seat behind my desk.

I heard slamming and yelling outside but that’s just kind of a normal Tuesday around here so it didn’t faze me much.

“Carter, this is the second assistant this quarter, we can’t keep doing this! It cost more to hire and train them then they’re actually worth!” I lazily looked up from my computer to see the office manager Amanda looking at me.

“Watch it; I’m on a firing kick.” She rolled her eyes and sighed.

“You know you couldn’t replace me if you tried.” She said before taking a seat in front of me. Though she basically was the one who helped me get my “empire” (as she called it) started, everyone could be replaced; I just wasn’t feeling up to actually looking for hers.

“You’re right, but don’t tempt me.” I laughed and sighed myself. “So who’s the next assistant?”

“Well… This time I was thinking I’d let you pick.” She pulled a couple of manila folders she was carrying from her pile of papers stacked on her beaten down clip board and smiled.

“Why?”

“Well maybe if you actually do it, you won’t fire this one. These are all interns as well, so if you don’t like them after a few months they’ll either leave or you can actually hire them. We could call it an assistant test drive.” I rolled my eyes and skimmed through the applicants files.

I could tell from these picks that there was definitely a theme going on; they were all beautiful women or extraordinarily handsome men, but one stood out to me. He had an infectious smile that actually caught my attention for longer than a minute.

“Did we find the one?” Amanda asked, keeping her voice low but her tone hopeful.

“This one.” I said as I threw the other manila folders away and pushed my choice back to her.

“Oh, Mr. Hilton… Interesting.” I raised my eyebrow at her shock. I mean he was gorgeous and brunette, two of my biggest weaknesses, and he was far more than qualified. Though I knew he was probably trying to get a position in a creative department, assistant would have to do. If I were hiring him, I really wouldn’t want him to be further away from me than that.

“What’s that supposed to mean.”

“Oh nothing, I just kind of threw him in as a joke. He’s not even out of college yet.”

“Then you’ll just have to work a little bit harder now, wont you?” I chuckled. “Sucks when a joke backfires on you, doesn’t it?”

She rolled her eyes and grabbed the folder before getting up to excuse herself.

“Oh, but Carter, he’s young… Don’t be too rough on him please? I’d hate for you to crush a child’s dreams… Again.”

“Then actually train him and we won’t have that problem.” I waved my hand dismissively before turning my attention back to my computer.

I pulled up the file I had saved for the toilet paper commercial I had already made and tweaked it a little more to fit what the client had asked for before sending it down to the competent members of my creative team to make come to life.

I knew the job wasn’t an easy one. I started there. I knew what it was like to sit with your nose pressed against drafting table, I just put my neck out there and capitalized on any and every opportunity a lot sooner than any of my other colleagues. My work was now in every store globally. I had commercials and advertisements in almost every country you could name… I made my legacy already and I’m not even twenty five yet, so it was almost an insult when people questioned me. I not a god, but I was pretty fucking close to it.

Though I’m not proud of everything I had to do to get here, I would do them all over again to be sitting in this chair.

My name was on the outside of this building, my name was covering Forbes magazine, and though most people in my field are never talked about, my face was everywhere because of what I’ve done and how sought after I was.

But I earned this. I never had any hand outs, I never accepted help, but I came, I saw, and I conquered.

And no one was going to slow me down.
♠ ♠ ♠
WELCOME ALL TO THE NEW STORY!!!

I'm so excited to be another asshole character, but does Carter have a heart of gold under all that douche? I dunno! ;)

But thank you to all of the people who transitioned over from other stories, or who have just started reading this randomly! Your comments/ subscriptions/ and recommends will never go unnoticed here!

So with that being said, thank you
Josh Cutlip.
&
SignalFire


For being the first to comment!

I can't even begin to express how excited we are for this story!!