Status: Active

Worlds Apart.

Carter

I knew I went easy on Jarrett. I knew I probably should have sent him home with a snappy talk or something but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I knew what it was like to be stuck between that rock and a hard place and... Looking back I sometimes wish I made some selfless choices like he had.

But I didn't, and he was working for me and blah blah blah. I was so tired of justifying my choices with my success. It seemed like a valid reason for so long but now I just... I don't know. I'm exhausted.

Not only that, but tonight I was invited short notice to an indie movie award ceremony for my work in advertising a film for one of the freelance artists. It wasn't something I'd normally waste my resources on but that month I wanted to see how far my name could reach and stretching out to a less popular but still lucrative market seemed like a good idea. I didn't make much profit off of it, it wasn't an enormous success, but for what it was our numbers from opening night were beyond what they had expected, and that is always a plus.

I digress though.

So I was kind of stuck going to this event tonight, and I swear I must have called Grace three hundred to get her to go with me but she just keeps forwarding me to her voicemail. Though we weren't on good terms, I still hated going to these things alone and when I did go alone it always sparked some kind of rumor which always just made things a million times worse back on the home front.

The last time I went alone to an award ceremony one of those beautiful models that served as a back ground character in one of the movies -you know, the ones who play a vital character but are only in the main male protagonists memories so they don't really talk; they're just kind of there to be a quiet symbol of perfection that the guy lost or whatever- came and sat with me.

Apparently I had casted her as the model for one of her very first door opening photo shoots for some designer perfume. Honestly I don't remember her or the perfume, but I didn't mind the company. Later when I was able to check my phone, Grace had sent me all the candid pictures of said model and I from that night.

The one that stayed fresh in my mind was the one taken from behind. I had put my arm around her and leaned in for someone who was taking our picture in front of us, and one of those paparazzi scumbags snapped one from behind. So of course it looked a little suggestive and there was no real way of explaining it until the photographer who took the front facing picture published his photos from the night.

After that I always made sure to either have Grace with me, or just not go. The backlash of an "affair" is just too much. Especially back then when things between Grace and I were somewhat tame. Now I can't say that I would really care per say, but it would still be a little obnoxious.

But now Grace wasn't picking up her phone and I already said I was going. I couldn't back out of a business commitment, even as trivial as this awards ceremony was; so I was kind of desperate for some sort of back up plan now.

"Mr. Sinclair, Whitmore is on line three." I looked up and saw my absolutely wonderful escape. How stupid was I? People brought their personal assistants to events like this all the time! Why didn't I think of this earlier?!

"Okay, thank you Jarrett. Quick question though, do you have plans tonight?"

"Uh... Uhm..." He looked around nervously for a second. "No, I don't. I was just going to read and maybe watch Netflix. W-why?"

"I need a date for this award ceremony, I hate going to these things alone and my wife won't answer my calls." Fuck, why did I word it like that? Date? Really Carter? You couldn't have said guest?

"Oh god, I... Did I mess something up?" Thank god. He didn't pick up on it.

"Jarrett, calm down." I chuckled. "Last minute invite. You didn't know about this. Will you go?"

"Uh, yeah! Of course."

"Okay, so I have an extra suit you can wear in my closet." I said as I motioned to the small sliding door. I kept all my extra clothes for any and all spur of the moment occasions in there. "It's the one in the black dry cleaning bag. Just take that to the third floor and get it tailored. You'll be paid for your over time of course. Am I forgetting anything?"

"Not that I know of!"

I tapped my chin as I thought about what else I may need to advise him of. This was his first big night actually going somewhere with me, and though I almost had a decent amount of faith in him, I couldn't help but to feel like I was leaving something out.

But I guess that will just have to fall back on me if I did.

"I'll pick you up at seven, just leave your address with Amanda." I said since I needed to go home myself to get ready. "I'll see you then."

He nodded and smiled before grabbing the suit from my closet and going. Now all I had to do was cross my fingers and hope that this whole thing didn't blow up in my face.

The rest of the work day was pretty normal. I took calls, listened to pitches from my team, and signed paperwork. Nothing exciting. It was kind of weird having to take my own calls again, but Jarrett was busy with getting the suit tailored so I'd survive.

Once five o'clock rolled around I went home, and saw that Grace wasn't there. I was actually starting to worry... Well, kind of.

I wasn't necessarily worried about her well being but more or less how whatever is going with her was going to end up effecting me.

But I pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind and got ready for the evening. The suit Jarrett was going to be wearing was Armani so I figured I should wear one as well so we didn't clash.

Though that sounded really domesticated, I tried my best to remind myself that I needed to do/ think like this. Matching designer showed loyalty and not only promoted the suits but also earned me future favor with the company.

Clashing designers with your date just always seemed tacky to me. Especially seeing as these designers will pay you more to wear their clothes in pairs.

But this event wasn't really big enough for me to even get paid to wear this suit. It was just a scruple I had that I refused to break when I had a say in it.

Once I got myself together my driver was already waiting outside. He knew I was a timely man so he always made sure to be early. He seemed a little surprised when he asked if we were joking about where we were going. I mean I wasn't familiar with the exact area, but I really didn't understand why my driver would make a malicious seeming comment like that. He was a driver for fucks sake. I paid him well, but not well enough for him to feel comfortable shaming someone else's economic status.

I bit my tongue though. He was good to me and I really wasn't in the mood to find a new reliable driver.

His neighborhood wasn't even that bad. I mean it definitely wasn't like where I lived, but it wasn't a shit hole either. It was better than where I grew up so I guess that was better than nothing.

I debated for a moment on whether I should get out and get him or just text him, but before I could even open my door Jarrett came flying out with a wide smile on his face.

He looked like a million bucks. The suit fit him like a glove and he was... He looked... I don't even have words to describe how amazing he looked, and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't shake that thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait guys, my brother went away to college so I've been trying to spend time with him and too sad to write, but here it is!!! Finally got out of that funk. Let me know what you guys think :-*

Thank you
mi_sangre
&
Josh Cutlip.

For your wonderful comments!!!