Status: Just Writing this fantasy so I don't forget it one day. If peoplel like it that's cool too.

Starting Over

A Boys Promise

“Xavier wake up,” Vivian jostled him lightly, a plate of food sitting at the desk. The boy didn't stir. “Xavier,” she pushed a little more. He rolled over on his back with a groggy moan.

“More... sleep.” Vivian continued her jostling, and Xavier steadily ignored it, his snoring even picked up. With a frustrated eyebrow twitch Vivian pulled up his shirt, exposing his belly. With a deep inhale, she unleashed the pent up air, in a large burst of farting sounds on his stomach. Xavier squealed, and squirmed, as Vivian inhaled for round two.

“I'm up! I'm up! No, stop,” he rolled around on the bed with Vivi tickling his sides. “I'm up I sweeeaaaar!” tears pricked the corners of his eyes. “I need to pee!” he made it off the bed, and ran for the door awkwardly.

“Foods waiting for you when you get back!” Vivi called after him. She chuckled to herself as she grabbed her plate, and sat on the bed. When this is done we should go to the academy. The Hokage office is on campus after all. I wonder... how will he do? Vivi tried to think all the way back to her days at the academy, as she ate. I was there for such a short amount of time, it's hard to remember. Plus I was training since the day I was born. All of this, it's new to Xavier. I hope he's not put with the younger kids.

“That was mean Vivian,” Xavier pouted as he walked back in the room.

“Hey you wanna get to training don't you? You can't do that if you're asleep.”

“Oh yeah,” he clenched his fist excited. “Let's do it!”

“You also can't train on an empty stomach,” she held up his plate. Pulling down his mask he grabbed the plate. Eggs, bacon, and potatoes.

“Thank you,” he said, through a mouth of food. Vivian stared at him bemused. He doesn't normally eat like that.

“Are you ok?” Vivi tilted her head. Xavier's cheeks bulged out. He seemed to want the entire plate in his mouth at once.

“mf...hrghf...mmrpha...” he tried to respond, but nothing was eligible. Chewing rapidly he swallowed hard, and gasped for air. “I'm trying to eat, as fast, as Kakashi. So that I can keep my mask up longer.”

“I see,” Vivi raised an eyebrow. “You know, that's a good way to get a stomach ache.” she reached over and wiped some crumbs from his face. Xavier blushed, and pulled up his mask.

“Yeah but, if Kakashi can do it. I want to also.”

“Kakashi can do what now?” Kakashi stood in the doorway.

“Speak of the devil, and he will come,” Vivian rolled her eyes. Xavier looked slightly confused at her saying, but turned to Kakashi.

“Eat super fast! That's what I'm trying to do.”

“It takes practice. But even if you can't eat a whole meal, just learn to take bites when people aren't looking.” Kakashi glanced at Vivi who shrugged.

“Hmm,” Xavier nodded. “Got it.”

“I came to ask you Vivian, when do you think he will be ready?”

“To take the entrance exam?” she questioned. Kakashi nodded looking between the two. “I was hoping we could do it now actually.”

“Now? So soon?”

“I have confidence he will make it,” she smiled down at Xavier giving him reassurance. Maybe he will. At least I can hope. “If he doesn't, then I can asses his level more clearly, and we can train right away in his weak points.” Xavier nodded feeling his nerves bunch up. I have to prove myself. I can't fail.

“I see. Okay. I'll let them know to set up right away. He will be taking the test alone, due to circumstance, and also due to his late entry. I'll be back in a few minutes when things are ready.” With a nod he was out the door.

“You okay X?” he seemed quiet all of a sudden.

“Yeah, I'm just thinking.”

“Want to talk about it? You don't have to, but if you feel comfortable,” Vivian looked at him with concern. We've never really shared our feelings before. But I hope he knows I'm here for him. A long pause followed, and Vivi grew anxious. Maybe I should have asked him first. I hope I'm not pushing too hard?

“I uh, last night... I just want to be strong Vivi.” His face started to blush slightly. “So that I can be the one that saves, and protects you.” He stared directly at her. Vivi's eyes widened surprised, and her heart grew warm. A few moments passed, and she waited for him to say more but he didn't. Xavier looked down at the floor.

“That's a very sweet, and heroic gesture X. Thank you.”

“I mean it Vivi,” his voice was heavy and serious. “I... when I was younger I,” he paused searching for the words. He remembered laying next to his mom, the way he had been laying next to Vivian. He listened as her breath stopped, and never came again.There was nothing I could do... I did nothing... because I wasn't strong enough. “My... my mom died. I don't want anyone else that I care about to die. I don't ever want to see it again. I couldn't save my mother.” Tears seemed to prick his eyes. “But I can save you Vivi. I promise I'll become strong enough to save everyone I love. And then my father will love me too!”

“Xavier,” Vivian hesitated unsure of how to respond. “You are strong already.” She hugged him tight, and then looked at him seriously. “You will only grow from here. I hope you know that, and your father does love you, it's not your fault she died. ”

“No,” Xavier only shook his head. “Briar hates me... and he should, because I couldn't save her.”

“Listen to me,” Vivian tilted his chin up and looked in to his eyes. “You are strong, and I have no doubt you will save a lot of people in your life. Somethings that happen... we do not have control over, and no matter what we do, they will happen anyways.” Faces flashed in Vivian's mind. Her father, her brothers, her mother, her fiance, people she lost because she wasn't strong enough. Now I'm sitting here telling him something I should tell myself... and if he's anything like me, he's just saying no in his mind.

“I care about you Xavier. Not because I have to, not because you're my brothers child. I care about you because you are my family. And you are in my heart. I've lost people I care about too-”

“Vivi?” he whispered finally letting her words in.

“-and I can tell you the longer you hold on to the bitterness, the harder life becomes. Real strength is being able to move forwards through that, and start new. I can already tell you're on the right path, you're bettering yourself, and you have come so far on your own. Some days are harder than others, but in the end together I know we will make it.” As she continued it felt as if she was talking to herself as well. Xavier stared at her wide eyed as the words sank in.

“Okay,” he contemplated her words. “I'll try it Vivi... but only if you are there too.”

“I'll always be here for you,” she tousled his hair with her hand. He smiled up at her with determination.

“You'll see. One day I'll save everyone even you,” he smiled and began stretching. “After I take on this exam.”

“Good luck.” but I think you've already saved me. “Xavier?” Vivi's voice was soft.

“Hmm?”

“About your father. Briar, he's one of those people that has a hard time letting go, and moving on. When that happens it can affect other people, and things in your life. Don't let his pain, and anger hurt you. Speaking as his sister, I know he doesn't mean it, and there's a lot more to him than you think.”

“I don't know... I don't know what I think of him. All I knew where stories, he seemed so amazing from what my mom said. And he is. He's so powerful, and big, and he knows a lot of stuff. But, all the other things...” he hesitated in thought. His mom was always so happy and bright when she described Briar, but Xavier could see none of that in the man he met. “ My mom really wanted me to be by his side, and find one piece. So, that's what I'm going to do one day,” he nodded in certainty. “That's all I know, right now.”

“And, that's just fine,” Vivi smiled at him. He nodded, and continued limbering up. Kakashi had been listening just outside the door, he decided to make his presence know.

“Alright, I have a Sensi waiting to see you, and test your skills. Vivi, you'll have to wait with me while he tests. The teacher doesn't want him to have any distractions, or means to acquire outside answers. Standard stuff.”

“Okay, you ready Xavier?” She walked over to Kakashi, and put on her mask.

“I'm ready. Let's get it over with.”

“Alright follow me,” Kakashi turned, and headed down the hall.