Maiden of Darkness

Chapter 31: Forgive, Forgotten

"Welcome back", Roxas had greeted me in a low tone. Once again, I had ended in the void; the void that I always end up in when overtaken by the darkness. Roxas was always here for me when it would happen, he would always guide me through it, but, I don't think he would help me this time.

"So, what happened this time?'', Roxas asked, he was joking, but my expression changed his mood.
"I, I failed. Again", the words automatically came from my lips. Those words were starting to become my pain.
"I messed up, Roxas. I tried to hurt everyone loved. I was possessed, used, like a puppet". Roxas sighed to my words, and sat next to me. "Why are you always so negative? You have to lighten up!", he placed his hands behind his head, as I started to get annoy by his carefree ways.

"Look, Aniko. You were possessed, it's not your fault for doing these actions".
"How can it not be my fault. Roxas, you don't know what it feels like, to betray your friends, to be controlled by someone-"
"Someone like Xemnas. Betray friends like Axel. Yeah, I have no idea what it's like. No idea at all", he stated, I looked at him. I had forgotten about Roxas's experience.

"Aniko, you should stop worrying about what you're actions are doing, and start worrying on who you are", he got up and looked straight at me. I didn't understand what he was trying to say, but I refused to understand. "And who exactly am I?'', I looked down at the floor.

I know I have become a different person since I received these powers. I mean, I hated the fact that I couldn't defend myself from people who tried to pull me down. People like my father, Xemnas, and Maleficent. When I discovered them, I have to admit, I felt stronger. I felt useful.

"That's what you have to find out", Roxas started to walk away, but stopped midway, and spoke. "We control our powers and the darkness within us." And with that, he walked away, fading with every step he took. I sat in the void, thinking of what Roxas had said, he was right. I had been so busy blaming myself for everything, that I had forgotten who I was, letting the darkness easily control me. I sighed and whispered to myself, "Thanks Roxas". With that, the void darken, and my vision faded.

I woke up in the dark, familiar room. I adjusted my eyesight to the darkness, and looked around. I got up and saw that there was a door with a window. I looked through it, silently, and noticed the heartless standing on the doorway, guarding my only way out. "Great", I said sarcastically. Knowing Maleficent, she will probably keep me locked up until she needs me again. I sighed and looked around the room once more, to see if maybe there was another way out, or if there was someone else with me. No luck.

I stood there sitting in the corner of the room laying against the wall, with my leg brought up to my level. It must've been twenty minutes, since I woke up. I could easily escape, but I didn't want to cause anymore trouble, not after...what happened. Also, I didn't know where the others might be, so I needed to lay low for a while.

Suddenly, heard a noise and got on guard, thinking it was the heartless outside. The door opened carefully, as light creeps in. It blinded me , but only for a second, as I looked to who might have opened the door...no one was there. I slowly walked outside the door and saw no one there, but seeing the door was open, I knew it had to be Maleficent. I made my way down the spiral staircase and knew that I had to get to the Castle Chapel. I passed a couple of heartless by the way, but made no attempt to fight them. As I reached the entrance of the Chapel, I opened the door and invited myself in. I looked ahead, and there she was, just as I imagined. Maleficent was sitting on her throne, her staff laying against it, and her pet crow resting on her shoulder. Her smirk matched her eyes as they scanned my footsteps.

"I see you have awaken, my pet", she said as she pet her crow gently. I remained silent, refusing to cooperate.
"Now, you shouldn't get angry with me. I only wanted to show your true potential", she explained, while she walked towards me, and placed her hand calmly on my shoulder.
"By using me to hurt my friends", I shifted my shoulder, making her hand releasing it. I turned away from her, angry.
"Where are they?", the question escaped me, due to the fact that I was worried about them, Maleficent, however, laughed.
"Those fools, got what they deserved. Ha! They're down in the dungeon where the rats will accompany them till their deaths", her tone fell as she changed moods, "the traitor however..."

There was silence for a moment, until I had realized who she was talking about. My eyes shot opened as I quickly turned around.

"Where is he? What did you do to him?", I asked all at the same time, Maleficent chuckled a bit and placed a hand on my shoulder once again. "Don't worry my pet. Once a servant to the darkness, always a servant to the darkness. I sent him on another errand". I relaxed a bit to discover that everyone was okay. I hadn't hurt them.

I ran to the dungeon to find the Sora and the gang, but I was still exhausted from the night before. I got to the dungeon and saw a group of heartless. "Stand down!", I commanded, as my eyes glowed a light purple, and the heartless stood their ground, and backed away. They stood on the side as I walked through them. I searched each cell to see if I could find them, but no luck either. If Maleficent finds me down here, I wouldn't hear the end of it.

"Sora!", I called out, as I heard a faint sound of Sora's keyblade hitting, what I guessed to be the bars. I followed the noise, as I yelled out once more. "Sora!"
"Aniko?", I heard him reply back, as I followed the noise, until I had reach the final cell, and saw a group of familiar faces. "You guys! You're okay!"

"Aniko!" Sora made his keyblade disappeared as he and Kairi approached the bars. Donald and Goofy did after them.
"Aniko, how did you get down here?"
"Maleficent told me you guys were down here. So I came", I noticed that Leon and the King were not in the cell. "Where's Leon and the King?''
"They're in a more secured cell. We got separated", Goofy explained. I looked around the area to see if they were close by.
"I got to get you guys out of here, before Maleficent finds out".
"Aniko...", I turned my attention to Sora as he called my name, he had a rather serious expression on his face. I knew where this was going.
"What happened last night?", he had to ask. I took a deep breath and looked at Kairi then back at him. "I-I joined with Maleficent. She said she knew where Riku was, so I made a deal with her. I didn't know she was going to control me. She lied to me", I explained looking disappointed at my actions.

There was a brief silence, until Sora spoke out, "No worries! I mean, we found you, and you're okay. It's not your fault, you didn't know", he smiled at me. I opened my mouth to apologize but was interrupted by Kairi.

"Don't apologize! You're our friend Aniko, and we know it wasn't your fault. We understand why you did it", she also smiled. At that moment, I felt so grateful to have friends like them. Even after all I've done, they were still behind me.
"Don't worry guys, I'll get you out. I promise", I said as I let go of the bars and I and parted ways.

I avoided any contact with Maleficent, seeing that she enjoyed annoying me. I made my way to the dark room I was in this morning. I just felt like I had to avoid Maleficent, even if it meant locking myself up. I also had to wait later tonight, to go and help Sora and the others escape. As I made my way up to the room, I noticed the door to the room was open. "That Maleficent just won't give up!", I murmured as I summoned my chakrams, ready to attack. I approached the door, as it creaked. At that moment I heard a footstep and strikes my chakram quickly, but it collided with another weapon.

"I didn't know you were so alerted", I recognized the figure's voice. My senses and my body froze. I realized who it was, the moment I heard his voice. I looked up to see those familiar aqua eyes, and without a moment to spare, I wrapped my arms around him in a tight hug.
"Riku! It's you!", I yelled excitedly, feeling tears approaching.
"You almost killed me two seconds ago, and then you hug me? I think the darkness is getting to you", he joked. Typical Riku, I thought. I looked up at him and smiled, I started to cry.
"I'm sorry, Riku. I'm sorry I hurt you. I-I didn't know-"
He stopped me from continuing to apologize as he placed his hand on my cheek. For the first time in a long time, I felt that happiness I once lost, beating inside me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Man, I wrote this twice! My computer didn't save it the first time, and I almost broke down. Seriously, it takes a long time to write this. But yeah, whatever. More coming soon!