Sequel: Hear Your Heart

Run Away With My Heart

20: I Promise

“You’re sure about this aren’t you?” Olivia posed gently as she stood on the doorstep of Iker’s parents’ home, her hands gently fiddling with the bottle of wine that they had bought as a gift for the elder couple. She didn’t know why she was nervous, she had met Carmen and Jose hundreds of times in the 5 years that she and Iker had been close, but still she was a little unsure. The idea of being more than Iker’s friend was still remarkably odd to the brunette and the idea of advertising the change in their relationship made her slightly apprehensive. Part of her worried that people wouldn’t like the fact that she was his girlfriend.

Iker smiled. “Of course I am sure about this” he noted, his arm gently resting around her waist “My parents love you and will be thrilled that we’ve finally gotten our act together. I have lost count of the time my madre has asked if I am ever going to get up the guts to ask you out” he enthused softly before he placed a little kiss on her cheek, trying to ease some of her nerves. It wasn’t a big deal, Olivia had met his parents before and he knew that they loved her, but he wanted to reassure her. Telling his parents about them was more of a formality than it was a milestone and he knew that they would be thrilled by it. His mother in particular had been rooting for them for years and was sure to be thrilled by the news that he had finally mustered the nerve to ask Olivia out.

“They’re not going to think it’s odd?” she posed.

Iker shook his head. “They’re going to be thrilled, so quit freaking” he noted, pressing another affectionate kiss to her head “They love you” he added before he gently tapped against the door, waiting patiently for someone to greet them. Olivia peeked up at him shyly before the door ahead of them was swept back, revealing Carmen who grinned at the sight of her eldest son. “Iker” she smiled brightly “It’s so good to see you, and the lovely Oli too. Are you feeling better now after the operation?” she fussed, her eyes darting over to the younger woman.

Olivia flushed, but smiled politely. “A lot better now” she commented gently “Thank you for asking” she added politely.

Carmen shook her head. “We’re just sorry we didn’t come and visit. Iker told us he was looking after you and we’d have loved to help” she enthused.

“Well, you’re sweet for offering, but I am the worst patient” Olivia noted.

Iker scoffed. “That’s an understatement” he mumbled.

“You’re not the most patient care-giver either, Iker” Olivia retorted “I lost count of the times you yelled because I was getting on your nerves” she noted.

“You did that a lot” he commented.

Carmen, who watched the pair of them, shook her head. “What will it take eh?” she mused with a little gesture to the pair ahead of her “You’d give me the most adorable little grandchildren” she tutted.

Iker smiled at the little comment and peeked down at Olivia who shyly peeked down at the floor. Taking it as a sign, Iker peeked back at his mother, offering her a small smile. “Well, on that front, madre, we have something we’d like to tell you” he mused, his arm gently wrapping around Olivia’s waist “A few weeks ago, I did something brilliant and, as a result, I am very happy to inform you that I have a very beautiful girlfriend” he noted.

Carmen looked between the pair for a second before she placed a hand over her mouth. “You…You two” she stammered.

Iker nodded his head. “Mama, this is my beautiful girlfriend, Olivia” he noted with a wide grin.

Carmen blinked a couple of times before she stepped up towards the couple, wrapping them in a hug that Olivia was sure had left her a little winded. “At last” the older woman enthused “At last” she repeated.

“Mama, I know you’re excited and everything, but I think you’ve winded Oli” Iker commented, wiggling out of her grip a little.

Olivia smiled gratefully as she was released from the hug. She doubted she would ever get used to it.

“I should go and check on dinner” Carmen noted “You should go and tell you father and brother” she added with a gesture to Iker.

The keeper nodded his head. “I will do” he smiled.

Carmen nodded her head before she clapped her hands together, still enthusing about the new couple.

~#~
“I told you it wouldn’t be bad” Iker commented as he placed a fresh drink down beside Olivia, offering her a small smile as she peeked up at him sleepily. It had been a long day, Iker’s family had had a lot of questions and Olivia had been a little hesitant about answering them, but she was glad that they had done it. Seeing his family’s reaction to her being more than his friend left her a little more assured that it wasn’t the worst idea in the world.

“You were right” Olivia mused “They seemed genuinely happy” she added.

“That’s because they are” Iker commented, sitting on the patio beside her “They love you Oli and are thrilled that I managed to get you before someone else did” he explained, sipping gently at the drink he’d bought for himself.

“Now we’re together, I wonder what I was doing with all of the other idiots I dated” She commented gently, her nails lightly tearing the label off of the beer.

“Tell me about it. What was I thinking?” he teased.

“I think we’ve done a good thing” Olivia noted “Us. We’re good” she smiled.

“Brilliant” Iker commented, coaxing her head onto her shoulder “We’re great together and I can’t believe we waited this long to do it” he added.

Olivia shook her head before she looked up at him. “Iker” she whispered lightly.

“Yes?” he returned.

“Promise me something” she noted.

“Anything” he noted.

“Don’t let us fall apart without a fight. I don’t want to pretend that this is going to be some fairy-tale romance, but if something does go wrong, promise me that you will always fight and you won’t just walk away from me” she mumbled, her hand lightly playing with his.

Iker smiled and pressed a kiss against her lips. “I promise” he vowed.