Sequel: Hear Your Heart

Run Away With My Heart

39: Patience

Staring at the screen of his laptop, Iker sighed a little, nerves twitching somewhat in his stomach as he attempted to muster the courage to hit the call button. He knew that it didn’t really matter, Olivia had given him all the indication he needed to know that she would likely say yes to him should he ask, but still he wanted to follow tradition. He knew that Daniel didn’t like him, the reaction he had given at Christmas when he’d learned that Iker could have been the father of Isobel’s baby had been all the proof the keeper needed of the fact that Daniel disliked him, but still he wanted to let him know. Without a father, Daniel was the closest thing Olivia had and Iker want to ensure that he did things right. If he had his way, he and Olivia would be engaged within the month and the last thing he wanted was to cause fractures between her and her brother. Daniel was all that Olivia had and Iker knew she would hate to lose him.

Stretching his neck slightly, he pushed the call button and rested back in his seat, his dark eyes watching the screen closely. He knew that he didn’t have long, Olivia was due over for dinner, and he didn’t want her to walk in on him, even if she did know that the proposal was coming. He wanted to keep her on her toes.

“Iker?”

The keeper startled slightly at the sound of Daniel’s voice, his dark eyes immediately darting back to the screen. “Daniel” he commented “It’s good to see you again” he added.

Daniel rolled his eyes. “What do you want from me Iker? I think we both know that this is not some sort of social call” he noted, his dark eyes narrowed slightly. He didn’t like it, the idea that Iker was still in a relationship with his little sister, but there was little he could do to change it. Olivia was 30 years old and didn’t need her brother interfering, regardless of how much he might had disliked the man she was involved with, Olivia wasn’t going to take Daniel’s word on Iker being bad for her.

Iker grimaced slightly at the harshness in the other man’s voice. “Daniel, please” he murmured “What happened at Christmas…”

“You mean when you walked out on my sister for a woman who wasn’t even carrying your child” Daniel quipped, cutting the other man off “Oli told me the other day. The puta was stringing you along” he added.

Iker sighed. “It was stupid, a mistake, but Oli understood and I hope, in time, you can too” he explained gently.

Daniel rolled his eyes. “You did not call to apologize to me” he noted sharply “So why don’t we get whatever it is you want out in the open and have done with it Ok? I am not exactly keen on speaking to you” he added.

Iker nodded. “I wanted to tell you that I plan on asking Olivia to marry me in the near future” he noted.

Daniel snorted. “You’re kidding me right?” he posed.

Iker shook his head. “No” he replied simply “I just wanted you to know because you’re all the family Oli has and I wouldn’t want to cause a problem between the pair of you. Whether you like it or not, Daniel, I do love you sister and I do intend on having a life with her. I only called to let you know before I did it Daniel, but regardless of what you say, I am going to ask her and I hope that she says yes” he explained softly,

“You know that you’re never going to be good enough for her in my eyes don’t you?” Daniel noted.

“It’s not your opinion I am concerned with, Daniel” Iker replied with a small shake of his head “Olivia loves me” he added.

“God knows why” Daniel replied.

Iker shrugged. “I don’t know why she does, I wonder that every time she tells me she does, but I know she does and that is all that matters. Daniel, I know that I am not perfect, but I intend to make Olivia as happy as I physically can” he noted gently.

Daniel sighed and peeked down at his hands. “You really want to marry her?” he posed gently.

“Without a shadow of a doubt” Iker replied firmly “I can’t think of anyone better to spend my life with” he added.

Daniel sighed. “Then I suppose I can offer you some sort of blessing” he noted softly “But I swear, one slip up Iker and it is over, even if it does mean forcing Olivia onto a plane. You mess up once and it’s done” he noted.

Iker nodded. “I understand fully, Daniel” he commented.

Daniel nodded his head. “Have Oli call me when you’ve done it. Lori would never forgive me if she wasn’t the first person to know” he added.

Iker smiled. “You have my word. Gracias, Daniel” he commented before he moved to hang up the call, a soft smile on his face. He knew that it didn’t matter, Olivia’s answer was the most important thing, but still he was glad that Daniel wasn’t entirely against it, He wanted Olivia to be as happy as she could be when he eventually married her. Staring at the computer for a second, he smiled, before he heard the front door close, something which caused him to move to his feet.

“I bought Thai food home” Olivia commented “I hope you don’t mind” she added as she padded into the kitchen, setting the bag of takeout on the counter.

“I don’t mind at all, but my nutritionist might” Iker commented as he followed her into the room, his arms contently wrapping around her waist and pulling her back against his chest.

Olivia squeaked a little at the sudden contact and peeked up at him. “What’s gotten into you?” she noted “When you called me at lunch time, you sounded all grumpy and now you’re all smiles” she commented, her finger lightly jabbing at the smile which sat at the corner of his mouth.

Iker wrinkled his nose. “Can’t a man just be happy to see his lovely girlfriend?” he posed, his fingers dipping beneath the bottom of her shirt.

“Most people could be, but when you’re like this it’s just plain weird” she teased.

Iker scoffed. “You’re weird” he mumbled “Why won’t you just move your stuff in here?” he posed.

Olivia shook her head. “I don’t see the hurry” she commented softly. It wasn’t the first time he had asked, in the two weeks since Isobel had given birth, Iker had asked countless times, but still Olivia said no. She wanted to do it, of course she did, but she wanted to be sure first. A little part of her was still concerned that he was reeling from the news that he wasn’t Ethan’s father and she didn’t want him rushing into things with her, just to come to regret it later. She just wanted to wait for a few weeks or so.

“The hurry is I want you here all the time” Iker replied, kissing the spot behind her ear “The hurry is, I am sick of saying goodbye” he added.

Olivia closed her eyes. “It will happen, mi amor” she noted “I just think we could use a little more time” she admitted.

Iker sighed, but didn’t say a word. He knew that things would come together and that he merely had to be patient.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)