Sequel: Hear Your Heart

Run Away With My Heart

50: Late

Yawning, Olivia peeked over at her phone, her blue eyes widening fractionally at the time. She was late, only by a small way, but enough to make her anxious and she was a little irked that she had slept through her alarm. She had ensured that she set it before she fell asleep. Grumbling a little, she moved towards her bag which still sat packed on the floor, and collected the first things she could find whilst she dialed Callie’s number, hoping that the other woman had made it to the press conference on time. It had been a couple of weeks and after getting out of the group stages, Spain had been drawn against the Netherlands in the round of 16, something Olivia knew had Iker on edge. He hadn’t said much about it, only that he hoped to play well, but Olivia knew it was slightly more than that. The game against Holland in the previous world cup had been one of Iker’s toughest moments as a keeper and she knew he wanted to avenge it, something she hoped he could manage. She wanted the team, but more specifically, Iker to do well.

Finding a pair of jeans, Olivia moved to pull them on, only to pause as she noticed that she couldn’t do them up. “Really?” she muttered to herself, attempting to pull up the zipper “Come on” she hissed, kicking the skinny jeans to the floor and moving to find something else. It was a little odd, Olivia’s jeans had always come up a little big on her, but she didn’t have time to question it. She was already ten minutes late and the lack of response from Callie suggested that she was still asleep too. Opting to pull on a skirt with a looser waistband, she collected a shirt that went with it and moved to collect her bag, wordlessly cursing the phone for not being louder.

~#~
“You were late this morning”

Olivia rolled her eyes at the sound of Iker’s voice, noting the almost audible smirk that laced it. “My alarm didn’t go off” she mumbled “And then I couldn’t do up the pair of jeans I picked up first off so I had to change. I got there though” she added.

“I know. You tripped over the journalist from England that was sat next you” Iker laughed, setting his plate down beside her.

“It was not my fault he had his feet sticking out” Olivia protested “Or that Callie was too lazy to get up” she added.

Iker chuckled. “At least you made it” he smiled “Even if most of the important questions had already been asked” he teased, making Olivia punch his shoulder.

“Asshole” she muttered, earning yet another laugh.

“Come on Oli, it was cute. Even Del Bosque thought that it was funny” Iker smiled, stealing a piece of food from her plate and replacing it with one from his.

Olivia sighed. “I don’t want your coach thinking that I am funny, Iker. I am a reporter and would kind of like to be taken seriously at that” she noted, pushing her food around her plate.

Iker smiled. “Everyone knows how great a reporter you are, Oli” he noted gently “And everyone knows that it is only a matter of time before you find yourself with a job higher up. You’re brilliant and turning up late once doesn’t change that. If anything, it made Del Bosque like you a little more” he enthused gently.

Olivia opened her mouth to reply, but was stopped as Sergio padded over to them, quietly informing Iker that they were needed for a team meeting. “You’re great” the keeper mused as he stood up, pressing a kiss to her temple “And everyone knows it, not just me” he added before he stepped away, allowing Callie to take his seat.

Olivia watched the other girl for a second before she shook her head. “Where the heck were you this morning?” she posed.

Callie smirked. “Would you believe me if I told you I overslept?” she posed.

“Not with that smirk, no. When did Jacob get here?” she posed.

“Yesterday. We’re spending a couple of weeks in Paris once the tournament is over and I am starting to think he might get down on one knee” she enthused.

“You’ve been waiting for that” Olivia quipped “Even Iker beat him to it” she teased.

Callie rolled her eyes. “Why are you asking where I was this morning anyways?” she posed.

“Because I was late to the press conference this morning and I was hoping you’d made it on time” Olivia replied, chewing a piece of the salad that she had picked out for lunch.

Callie scoffed. “You, the great Olivia Garcia, were late for something?” she mocked.

“I missed my alarm and then for some reason my jeans wouldn’t fit so I had to change. I was late and I tripped over someone as I walked in, drawing all attention to me” Olivia replied.

Callie frowned. “Why wouldn’t you jeans fit?” she posed.

Olivia shrugged. “Perhaps it is just one of those days when I am bloated, I don’t know” she quipped.

“Perhaps you’re pregnant” Callie giggled “Can you imagine you and Iker with a baby?” she teased, but Olivia’s mind had tuned her out slightly, stuck on the word ‘pregnant’. “Oli?” Callie posed, noting the awed look which had appeared on her friend’s face “Olivia, are you OK?” she pressed.

“I’m late” the brunette mumbled.

Callie frowned. “What?” she posed.

“I just did the math in my head. My period was due about 3 weeks ago, I guess I just didn’t notice that it didn’t happen” Olivia mumbled, her eyes fixed on her hands which fiddled nervously in her lap.

“Are you saying…?” Callie posed, her voice trailing off slightly.

“It’s possible” Olivia murmured “I mean, Iker and I, have done…it a lot, but I could just be late. It’s never been a regular thing” she rambled.

Callie shook her head. “You want me to run out a get a test?” she posed gently, trying not to frighten the other woman.

Olivia blinked, but nodded. “Please” she murmured.

Callie smiled. “Of course, Liv” she noted “I will be back before you know and we’ll find out OK? Whatever it says, you’re OK” she smiled encouragingly, making Olivia smile back at her weakly. She really hoped that Callie was right and that things would be OK.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)