Sequel: Hear Your Heart

Run Away With My Heart

08: Don’t Forget Me

Staring at the door ahead of him, Iker sighed a little, a strange sense of nervousness filling his stomach. It wasn’t normal, he had spent hours in Olivia’s home without once feeling unsure or nervous, but the idea of going inside worried him. There was clearly something up, Olivia had been silent with him for days, and that was a concern to the goalkeeper. Olivia always kept in touch, no matter where she was or what she was doing, and it worried Iker that he hadn’t heard from her. She always said something. For a second, he looked at the door before he gently pressed the doorbell, listening to gentle ringing sound before Olivia’s footsteps echoed, culminating in her pulling the door back with a small frown on her face.

“Iker” she mumbled “What are you doing here?” she added.

Iker smiled. “Do I need a reason to come and see my best friend unexpectedly?” he posed.

Olivia shook her head. “Of course you don’t” she murmured “I just thought…never mind” she noted, stepping out of the doorway to allow the keeper into her home.

“You just thought what?” Iker posed, hanging his sweater up on the coat hook.

Olivia shook her head. “It’s stupid” she commented dismissively “What brings you here today?” she added quickly, not allowing Iker the chance to ask another question.

“I wanted to see you” Iker smiled “It’s been a couple of days” he added.

Olivia nodded. “So it has” she smiled feebly before she made a move to walk into the kitchen, something which was stopped when Iker placed his hand against her forearm.

“Oli” he noted “Are you going to tell me what is wrong or do I have to guess?” he added, a small smile on his face.

“Iker…”

“Don’t tell me it is nothing” Iker interjected “I have known you for far too long to buy that” he added.

Olivia sighed. “I just wanted to give you some space” she mumbled, shifting a little in front of him.

Iker snorted. “You have never wanted to give me space” he pointed out “So quit with the crap and just talk to me Oli. I have been worried about you” he noted.

Olivia scoffed. “Yeah right. I’ve not had a single message from you” she muttered.

“What about you?” Iker argued, a small frown playing on his face. “You didn’t even text me to say you made it home safely the other night” he added.

Olivia shook her head. “I am not a child, Iker” she mumbled softly.

Iker frowned. Olivia had never minded him checking up on her, she’d always thought that it was sweet of him. “Olivia” he mused “What is the matter?” he posed.

Olivia peeked at him for a second before she shook her head, not wanting to upset him. It wasn’t his fault that Isobel didn’t like her and she didn’t want to upset him by accusing his girlfriend of having done something she couldn’t prove. The last thing she wanted was Iker to yell at her. “It’s nothing” she mumbled “I’ve just not been myself for the last couple of days. I am sorry for not texting” she added with a smile that she hoped he would find convincing.

Iker shook his head. “I am not buying it, Oli” he noted “Come on, I know you and I know that there is something bothering you, so why don’t you just tell me? I would get upset” he noted.

Olivia sighed. “I wish that I could believe that” she noted.

“Oli…”

“Isobel hates me” Olivia squeaked.

Iker closed his mouth for a second before he furrowed his brow, squeaking out a small ‘what?’.

“Your girlfriend hates me, or at least, that was what I got the other night when she told me that you had no use for me anymore. That’s why I left so abruptly from dinner and why I have been keeping my distance. Isobel said that you didn’t need any more and I didn’t want to get in the way. I know that you like her and I thought that it would be…”

“I can’t believe you did that” Iker interjected.

Olivia blinked a little, slightly confused.

Iker shook his head. “I can’t believe you thought that I would want rid of you, or that Isobel speaks for me. Oli, she doesn’t, she has no idea how much you mean to me, and to know that you thought she did…Oli do you think I am that type of guy?” he posed, his dark eyes narrowed on the brunette.

Olivia gaped for a few seconds before she sighed. “I was just trying to keep you happy” she mumbled.

“And you think that Isobel is the key to that?” Iker posed.

“I’ve never seen you so made up before” Olivia noted with a small shake of her head “You worship that girl and I didn’t want to be the kind of friend that put my feelings for you over your feelings for her. Iker, I want you to get that happily ever after, I want you to get the wife and kids that you so deserve, and if that means stepping back to make Isobel happy so that she in turn makes you happy, then so be it. I did what I thought was right and I am not going to say sorry for it” she added.

Iker shook his head. “I would never ask you to step back” he stressed.

“I know” Olivia noted “But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do it” she added.

“Oli…”

“Iker, you love Isobel” Olivia smiled gently.

“And?” he protested.

“That means I have to take a backseat for a little while. Iker, she’s good for you”

“But not for you” Iker replied “Oli, I don’t want to lose you” he added.

Olivia shook her head. “You won’t, I will always be your friend Iker, but we’re not 8 years old, we don’t have to be attached at the hip and that idea clearly makes Isobel uncomfortable. I know I wouldn’t be comfortable if a guy I was dating was as close with his female best friend as you are with me” she commented with a little laugh that Iker noted as fake as soon as it fell out of her mouth.

“Oli, if it means losing you then I will…”

“No” Olivia commented “I am not going to ask you to give up someone you care about for me” she smiled “Just…don’t forget about me eh?” she teased.

“Olivia” he sighed.

“Come on Iker, go and see Isobel” she posed.

Iker sighed before he padded towards her, pressing a light kiss against her cheek. “You’re the best girl in the world” he mused “And one day, a guy is going to realize it and when he does, I will endeavour to make sure he takes as good a care of you as you do of me” he smiled before he peeked down at his watch “I have to go” he added.

Olivia shrugged. “Go” she smiled.

“Are you sure?” Iker pressed.

“Iker” Olivia noted, pushing his shoulder “Go and be with your girlfriend” she added, her voice faltering slightly as the ‘g’ word fell out of her mouth. Iker noted it with a small frown, but another shove from Olivia encouraged him out of the door.

Olivia watched him up the hall for a second before she closed the door, resting against it for a second. It was never going to be the same, she knew it too, but she knew it was the right thing. With no romantic feelings towards the keeper, she couldn’t ask him to give up Isobel, even if the blonde was going to keep Iker away from her. She couldn’t make him let her go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)