Sequel: Hear Your Heart

Run Away With My Heart

09: You Protest Too Much

Smoothing out her neatly pressed blouse, Olivia sighed a little, slightly nervous about being in the Real Madrid press room again. It wasn’t the first time, since she had moved to one of Madrid top newspapers, she had often been asked to go thanks to her well known connection to Madrid’s famous goalkeeper, but after more than a month with minimal contact, she was a little unsure about seeing him again. She knew that he would be there, she had received a memo informing her that it would be him alongside incoming Real Coach, Rafa Benitez, but still she was nervous.

From the brief texts that he sent every now and again, he was happy and that unsettled Olivia slightly. She knew, in the long term, that she had made the right call. Iker loved Isobel and there was little Olivia could do to change it, but still it hurt her. They had been too close for too long and not having him around all of the time had left Olivia feeling rather alone. Besides Callie and a few of the other reporters, she didn’t have any one else and none of them bore anything like a comparison to Iker who she would have entrusted with her life.

“Olivia?”

The brunette, who had been checking that she had a pen, looked up, her blue eyes widening a fraction as Sergio Ramos padded towards her, wrapping her in a warm hug. “It must have been at least 3 months since I have seen my favorite reporter” the defender fussed “How are you?” he added, stepping back slightly.

Olivia smiled. “I am fine, Sergio” she commented “What about you? How is that beautiful son of yours?” she posed.

Sergio grinned proudly. “He’s growing into a handsome boy like his papa of course” he teased.

Olivia laughed softly. “Are you excited ahead of the new season?” she posed.

“Depends” Sergio quipped back “Are you asking as my friend Oli, or the famous reporter, Olivia Garcia” he teased.

“Both” Olivia smiled “I could do with an exclusive” she added with a small laugh.

Sergio smiled at her comment. He had missed Olivia since he had last seen her. “How have you been, Oli?” he posed.

Olivia shrugged. “I told you. I am fine, Sergio” she quipped with a small shake of her head.

Sergio frowned. “You don’t sound it” he added “Anything you want to talk about?” he posed.

Olivia shook her head. “I swear, Sergio, I am fine” she assured him gently.

Sergio looked at her dubiously before the PR woman stepped into the hall, her eyes fixed on Olivia who nodded her head. “I need to get inside, they won’t hold it up for me, but we will have to catch up sometime Sergio, you and Pilar” Olivia smiled before she stepped into the room, leaving the defender in the hall.

Sergio watched after her and shook his head. He knew what was on her mind, Iker had been quick to inform him that Isobel wasn’t overly fond of the brunette that Iker liked to keep around, but he hadn’t expected that it would make her so distant. He’d thought she’d brush it off like everything else that was thrown at her. Staring at the door for a second, Sergio contemplated the notion of Olivia having deeper feelings for Iker than she let on, but he quickly dismissed it. Olivia didn’t seem jealous, she merely seemed a little sad.

~#~
“Oli?” Sergio’s voice snipped into the brunette’s ears, earning a little sigh from her. She had hoped he would have disappeared by the time she escaped from the press conference. “Oli, are you free for lunch?” he pressed.

Olivia shook her head. She was free, since her Iker schedule had been cleared, she was free a lot of time, but the last thing she wanted was to be stuck at lunch with Sergio. She liked the defender, he was funny and kind-hearted, but the last thing she wanted was to be stuck around him. She didn’t particularly want to be around anyone that bore any kind of relationship with Iker. “I have plans” she noted.

Sergio scoffed. “Yeah right” he mumbled.

“Sergio…”

“Olivia, this is stupid” Sergio interjected “You’re miserable without him and…”

“He’s happier than he’s ever been with her. Sergio, I know it doesn’t make sense. Isobel is clearly a bitch and that is in no doubt, but Iker likes her and I am not the kind of friend that is going to question who he likes” she mumbled.

Sergio shook his head. “He’s not happier with her than he ever was” the defender noted.

Olivia scoffed. “Yeah? And when was he happier?” she noted.

Sergio smiled. “When he was in South Africa with you” he quipped “For the first few days after you met, he couldn’t stop talking about you. He told me you had eyes blue like the sea and he told Xavi that you were easily the prettiest girl he had ever met. Olivia, Iker’s been happier before and that was when he thought he stood a chance with you” he noted.

Olivia rolled her eyes. “Stood a chance with me” she mumbled “If Iker wanted me, then he should have said something” she grumbled.

Sergio’s brows furrowed a little. “Oli…”

“I am not in love with him” Olivia quipped, noting the look on Sergio’s face. It was one she knew all too well.

“Then I don’t understand. If you didn’t have feelings for him, then you would have stuck around, not caring for one second what Isobel said about the pair of you. But you backing down…”

“I am not going to have this conversation with you again Sergio. We’ve had it too many times” she interjected.

“But I don’t…”

“I am done with this” Olivia murmured “I was nice see you Sergio” she added before she turned on her heel, walking away from him.

Sergio watched after her. It wasn’t the first time that people had questioned Olivia’s feelings for Iker, out of the two of them, it had always been more likely that she would fall for him than him for her, but watching her walk away made Sergio wonder if perhaps she was protesting a little much. If she had no feelings for him, then she would have stayed around, she wouldn’t have cared about what Isobel had said, but the fact that she had backed off, made Sergio wonder, not for the first time, whether or not there was a chance that Olivia had somewhere down the line, fallen for Iker.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)