Status: Completed Nov 1 2016

I'll Make You See It Was All Real

Chapter 14- I Intend To Be There

Cristiano’s Pov

“Nice of you to show up” Rio says as I walk into the dressing room. “Shut up” I say pulling off my jacket. “Man you like crap” Wayne says.

“I was with Lucy last night” I say. “Aww too busy making up. Looks like Ronnie just didn’t score on the pitch last night” Rio winks and the others laugh. “Actually I was listening to her cry her eyes out since around the time I was scoring that goal she was finding her best friend dead” I say angrily and numerous faces of shock stare back at me.

“What? Oh shit” Wayne says. “Ya” I mutter. “Wow Ronnie. Sorry. Damn” Rio says shaking his head.

“How is Lucy?” Wayne asks. I take a seat. “I honestly don’t know. She cried so much but I still think she’s not thinking straight” I say remembering how Lucy wanted to go to work and how in shock she was.

“The whole thing is a mess. She lost her sister when she was young and now Tina. It’s going to kill her” I say. “Maybe you should go back to her. If she wanted you last night maybe you should stay with her. Fergie will understand” Wayne says. “She told me to come otherwise I wouldn’t be here. I didn’t want to fight so I left her. She’s too stubborn sometimes. She’ll block out any emotions she has” I say.

“People deal with grief and shock in their own way Ronnie” Michael says. The coach comes in to tell us to get out onto the training pitch. “You’re really worried about Lucy. Aren’t you?” Wayne asks as the others leave the changing room. "She’s going to blame herself. I know she will” I mutter. “She knows your there Ronnie. You can’t do much more for her” he says. “She didn’t call me” I say.

“Sorry” he says. “Last night. Elena was the one who phoned to tell me about Tina. Lucy was so frozen with shock, Elena was concerned” I say. “She didn’t tell you to leave though” he says. “She still might” I whisper.

“I’ll tell Coleen to give Lucy space” Wayne says running up next to me as I head out to my car after training. “That might be best. Lucy is one for people fussing around her. Especially if she feels guilty” I say. “What does she have to be guilty about?” he asks. “I know how she thinks. Well most of the time. Trust me she’ll think it’s her fault for not seeing Tina was still on drugs” I say. “But that ridiculous” he says.

“But that’s what she’s going to think. I just hope she can cope” I say. “I know it’s bad to say but at least she’s finally talking to you” he says. “I’d rather have Lucy never speak to me again then have her suffering” I say. I say goodbye to Wazza as my phone beeps. A message from Jack telling me he’s with the girls at Josh’s. Guess I’ll wait to later to see Lucy.

“Hey man” Nuno says as I walk into my kitchen.

"Hey" I say. "I thought you'd be at Lucy's" he says. I had phoned him to tell him what happened after I left Lucy's place. "She's at Josh's place. I don't want to intrude. Plus the last time I saw Josh he wasn't exactly happy to see me" I say. "Think he has more on his mind then you cheating on Lucy" Nuno says. "I didn't.."

"I know you didn't. I'm just. Oh never mind" he says. "Sorry I just can't stop thinking about Lucy" I say. "She must be hurting so much" a voice says and I turn around and see Maé coming towards me. It's the first time I have seen her in weeks. I missed Christmas, her birthday since she's been so furious with me because of what happened with Merche.

"Maé" I whisper and she wraps her arms around me. I've missed this.

"When did you arrive?" I ask after a few minutes. "About an hour ago. After your call this morning, well I just couldn't stay away. That poor girl" she says and I move to the couch. "It's so unfair. She hasn't done anything to hurt anyone but Lucy has suffered so much" I say.

"People should think before they hurt her" she says. "I know Maé ok" I snap. "I know what you think I am. But I don't care. The woman I love has just lost her best friend and I can't help her" I say.

"People should think before they hurt her" she says. "I know Maé ok" I snap. "I know what you think I am. But I don't care. The woman I love has just lost her best friend and I can't help her" I say. I'm sick of having the same fight with her. "Hey you two should concentrate on Lucy and not on anything else that has happened before" Nuno says trying to stop a fight if I know him. "Thank you Nuno" Maé smiles not meaning it at all. "

Why aren't you with her?" she asks me. "She's with Tina's family. Elena's boyfriend said he'll text when they're back at hers" I say. "Being with family will help" she says. "She went to work this morning Maé. She's trying to hide from it all" I say. "Well we won't let her. I know she blamed herself during the time Tina was in rehab" Maé says. "So you're thinking like me. That she's going to blame herself” I say. “It’s only after having. She’s not going to be thinking straight. All we can do is be there for her. You must be hurting too. You knew Tina also” she says. “Only briefly. And it doesn’t matter about me. Lucy, Josh and the others are suffering way more” I say. “A death is hard no matter how well you knew someone Ronaldo” she says. “I’m glad you’re here” I say. Even though I know she’s only here because of Lucy.

“It’s my job. I always liked Lucy” she says and I nod. “You should try and get some sleep before we go to Lucy apartment” she says. “Maé” I say shaking my head. “Get some sleep and yes I’m coming with you. I always got the impression she isn’t close to her mother. At a time like this she needs some motherly care” she says and I smile. “Now go” she says. Only my mother could go weeks not talking to me to bossing me about I think.

“So how have you been?” I ask Maé as I drive to Lucy’s place. “Good” she says looking out the window. Why is this so awkward? There was a time when I couldn’t get a word in edge ways with her but I’m clearly still not her favourite person I think.

“Nice area” she says as I pull up outside the apartment. “Ya Lucy loves living here with..” I stop. “With Tina” she says and I nod a sad nod. “Let’s go see her” she says opening the car door. “Maé” I shout rushing out of the car. “Don’t fuss please” I say and she rolls her eyes at me. “It’s my job. Now let’s go see how she is coping” she says walking towards the building.

“Hey Cris” Jack says opening Lucy’s front door. “Hey Jack. This is my mother Dolores! I say. “Hello Mrs. Averio. I’m Elena’s boyfriend Jack” he says extending his hand to greet my mother. “Dolores please” she says shaking his hand. “Please come in” he says stepping back to allow us in. “Elena and Lucy are inside” he says. “How are they holding up?” I ask. “Not great. Going to Josh’s didn’t exactly go well” he says. “What happened?” I ask. “I wouldn’t know where to start. Lucy is cleaning at the moment” he says. “Distracting herself” I mumble and I usher Maé down the hall.

I watch as Maé consoles Lucy and I fight the urge to hold her too. “Sorry about Maé” I say taking a seat next to her. “It’s fine. And can you please stop saying the word sorry. I’ve heard it a million times today” she says. “And each time you wanted to punch something. Ya I know the feeling” I say. I know only too well.

“Jack said Josh’s didn’t go too well” I say. “If I tell you what happened I’ll throw something and I don’t think your mother would like it” she says. “Depends if your throwing as improved” I joke and I swear I saw a smile.

“I thought she wasn’t speaking to you” she says and I realize she talking about Maé “She wasn’t. She isn’t really. But..” I don’t know how to explain. “But what?” she asks. “You need her and she cares about you. We all do” I say. I just wish she would let us care. “I told her not to fuss but she says it’s her job” I say. “I feel like I’m having a nightmare” she says.

“I wish I could change things” I say and she rests her head on my shoulder. As I go to wrap my arm around her someone says her name and she rushes to the door crying Dad.

“She phoned her Dad last night” I say to Elena as we sit at the kitchen table leaving Lucy and her dad to talk. “No I did. I never thought he’d get here so quick” she says and I nod. “You saw her yourself last night. She wasn’t thinking about anyone but Tina. So don’t start thinking she didn’t want you” she says. “Even if it’s understandable she wouldn’t” Maé says. I start to say something but then realise there no point. There’s only so many times I can say I didn’t cheat I think. Elena gives me a smile.
“I take it she wouldn’t listen to anyone about going to work this morning” a voice says and I turn to see Lucy’s dad standing behind my chair. “Of course not” Elena says. “She’s gone to change and then she’ll have something to eat” he says. “Even if I have to force her” Maé says standing from the table. “I wouldn’t go that far. My daughter doesn’t care for being forced to do something. Even if it’s for her own good” he says.

“Well I hear Dolores is a wonderful chef so I’m sure you won’t have to force her” Elena says. “I wouldn’t say that now” Maé says delighted to have heard that. “Mr. Smith you should have a seat. You’ve had a long flight. And a shock. You knew Tina well too” Maé says. “Liam please. We’re too old for formalities” he says. “Age is just a number” Maé says and ushers him to take a seat at the table before heading to the kitchen.

“I’ll go see if she..I’ll go to Lucy” Elena says after a few minutes of silence leaving me alone with Lucy’s Dad since Jack had left.

“So you’re the lying cheating asshole” Liam says to me across the table. And I cough at his bluntness. “Although Tina was the person who referred to you as that and as we all now know she was one for being honest either” he says. “I know what you have been told about me but” I say and he holds his hand up to stop me talking.

“I had to see how upset my daughter was because of you. I should hit that Portuguese face of yours for even suggesting she pretend to be your girlfriend” he whispers thankfully so Maé can’t hear. “But Lucy has just lost the person closest to her and I’m going to try and forget about how much hurt you have caused her. So let’s just concentrate on getting through the next few days” he says and I nod.

“I understand. And for the record Sir, I didn’t cheat on your daughter. And I intend to be there for her” I say looking straight at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Should Cristiano be annoyed Lucy didn't call him? Will Dolores and his relationship ever mend. What did you think of Cristiano's interaction with Lucy's Dad?

Thank you to kalamnamuhs123 and Jayme112234 for your lovely comments.