Status: Completed Nov 1 2016

I'll Make You See It Was All Real

Chapter 15- An Odd Day

Cristiano’s Pov

“I hate this suit” I say fixing my tie. “It brings back memories” Nuno says slapping my hands away so he could fix my tie. “Ya I mumble. I hadn’t worn this suit in over a year. I hadn’t worn it since the day we buried Papi.

“Good of Fergie to give you the day off” Nuno says. “I’m doing a double session tomorrow. Plus I’m no use if my mind isn’t on the training ground” I say.

“We should be going” Nuno says grabbing his jacket. “I guess” I sigh looking out the window. It’s a frosty cold Thursday morning and people were going about the daily routine on the streets below.
“Cris” Nuno says. “Ya I’m coming” I say picking up my suit jacket. “I barely knew Tina and I’m not looking forward to this. I hate funerals” he says as out hotel door shuts after us. “No one likes them” I say.

It’s been over a week since Elena phone to tell me about Tina dying. And apart for the first few days afterwards, I haven’t seen Lucy since. She went to London with her father after much persuasion. Elena had been keeping me updated. Although Lucy had replied to a couple of my texts.
“So how is today going to work?” he asks. “There’s a church service, then a wake and then a private cremation” I say repeating what Elena had told me.

By the time we get to the church, it’s nearly full and we take our seats. Music begins shortly after we sit and a choir begins to sing. Slowly one by one, I see Josh with Luke by his side appear behind Tina’s coffin as it’s slowly rolled up the aisle. Beside them his parents who looked so lost. As other family members walk behind them I notice Lucy for the first time. She follows arm in arm with her Dad. She’s focused straight ahead. This is going to be awful for her. My eyes never leave her as she takes a seat on the second row with her Dad behind Josh and his parents. Matt gives her shoulder a squeeze and she turns around to give him a small smile. “He did know Tina and he does work with Josh and Lucy” Nuno whispers clearly having seen my annoyance that Matt is near Lucy. “I know” I mutter. I still don’t like it though.

Before I know it the time has come for the eulogy and Josh moves to the altar. He looks like he hasn’t slept much and is barely holding it together as his the paper he takes from his jacket pocket shakes in his hands. “I never thought I’d be doing this” he whispers into the mic.

“I don’t think anyone knows what you’re meant to say. What can I say about my sister? I often joked she was put on this planet to annoy me and she certainly did” he half smiles. “She was stubborn times 100. She never listened. She couldn’t cook. She always wanted to do things her way. She used to play tricks on me whether it was putting vinegar in my drink or joining forces with Lucy to annoy me with their singing” he says and bursts into tears.

“I keep thinking what Tina would say” he cries.

Lucy runs up and he shakes his head as Luke comforts Josh. Lucy pulls a lock of hair behind her ear and turns to face the full church. “Josh can be excused for not been able to talk. He never got much of a chance when Tina and I were around” she half smiles and people laugh. “Josh was saying that he keeps thinking what Tina would say if she could see all of you people here right now and having to listen to this” she says holding her the paper.

“One thing she’d say is Josh you need to learn to write dear brother this writing is terrible” Lucy says mimicking Tina and I can’t help but laugh. “I’m sure the rest of what Josh has written is beautiful and sweet and so much more. But we all know we shouldn’t be listening to this right now. Tina shouldn’t be gone” she says her voice wavering.

“I met Tina when I was ten and I really didn’t want to be in England. I hated my house, the city, my school and then I met Tina. Josh is right. Tina and I loved to annoy him. He was always the best big brother to Tina and she was very lucky to have him. Even if she was too stubborn to admit it at times, she always did know it” Lucy says looking down at Josh.

“The saying that life isn’t fair doesn’t come close to how everyone who knew Tina feels fight now. Nothing about this is fair” Lucy says bitterly.

“Tina was a lot of things. Funny. Sweet, Chatty. A really bad singer not to mind cook, driver. Her Dad can tell you numerous fighting stories about him teaching her to drive. But she was also my best friend. The person I used to cry with, fight with and just talk about silly nonsense. I’m really going to miss you Tina” Lucy whispers looking to her side at Tina’s coffin.

She coughs and straightens her body facing us again. “She might be gone but we must always remember Tina. Remember her as she deserves to be remembered. As the annoying school girl who used get more detentions in a week then it rains in England. Or the girl who used to have every guy falling at her feet or the girl who could persuade her mom she deserved a new handbag so she could steal it. Remember her a daughter, a sister and a friend” Lucy says and I watch as she closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

“I’m lucky that I had ten years with one sister and another ten with my very sweet sister Tina” she says as tears slowly fall down her face.

“Don’t” Nuno says gripping my arm as I attempt to stand. “She’s got her family” he says as Lucy places her hand on Tina’s coffin before her Dad walks her back to her seat. This is horrible I think as the choir begin to sing once more.

After the service, everyone makes their way to a nearby hotel and I briefly talk to Lucy before she’s moved away from me.

“She’s been very quiet all week. Today was the most she has spoken” Liam says and he smiles at my shock that he was talking to me. I wasn’t his favourite person.

“She ahm did really well” I stutter. “Oh great” he mutters and I follow his eyes to the lady walking towards us. “I’m surprised you came” Liam says. “Poor Tom just lost a daughter why of course I would come. In fact I know more here than you” the lady smiles. “And here I was thinking you came to support your own daughter” Liam says and I realise the lady standing in front of me is Lucy’s mother.

“Of course I did. I’m waiting for her to be free” she says. “Stay away from her Lilly” Liam warns and she rolls her eyes. “My ex husband always did have bad manners. I’m Lilly. Lucy’s mother” she says and kisses both of my cheeks.

“Hello” I say. “My daughter found a lovely looking man” she says. The papers hadn’t managed to report that Lucy and I weren’t together anymore so she thinks I’m still with Lucy. “He’s a bit young for you Lilly. Although I wouldn’t put it past you to try and steal your daughter’s boyfriend” Liam says.

“Still bitter I left you. Nothing changes” she says. “What are you doing here Lilly?” Liam asks getting angry. “I told you. Tom needs his friends around. Poor man. It’s the worse feeling in the world to lose a child” she says a takes a tissue out of her bag and daps her eyes.

“Oh please” Liam mutters. “I always told Lucy that Tina was trouble. What she has put her family through” she shakes her head. “Lilly” Liam warns. “I’m Lucy’s mother Liam. Even if she ignores me. She needs me” Lilly says. “Leave” Liam says taking a step closer.

“Look Mrs……..” I blank not remembering her surname. “Lilly. Darling we’re practically family since you’re dating my daughter. Although I’m sure a handsome man like you could do better than my daughter” she says. What the hell is wrong with this woman. “Lilly” I fake smile. “I don’t think this is the right time to talk to Lucy as you can see she has numerous people that want to speak to her. Maybe another day when things quieten down” I say. “I suppose. I really should go say hello to my late husband’s friends” she says and I tell Liam is getting very annoyed.

“Nice to meet you” I say. “Oh darling it’s all my pleasure been anywhere near such a lovely man like you” she smiles at me. “Liam” she nods and the turns to leave. A waiter walks pass and I reach out and take a whiskey glass from his tray. “Here” I say handing it to Lucy’s Dad. He takes it and downs it in one gulp.

“Think you needed that” I say. “The nerve of that woman” he says. “She is worse than I imagined” I say. “Worst feeling in the world to lose a child” he mutters holding the glass so tightly with his fingers that I take it from his hand in case it breaks in his hand. “I don’t know how you could stand so close to her after everything she has done to your family. She doesn’t care about Lucy. Oh I’m going to need a shower to get her perfume off me” I say wiping my cheek.

“She hardly knew Tina. Urgh I can’t believe she thought Lucy would want to see her” Liam says. “The pain of losing a child. Is she for real? She’s the reason Lucy lost her sister” I say.

“What did you say?” he asks holding my elbow. “I…..” I stumble. “You know. Don’t you?” he asks. “Ya. Lucy told me. Don’t blame her. She was a mess. She wasn’t sleeping and kept having nightmares about Lacey. I had to drag it out of her” I say.

“When did she tell you?” he asks. “The week of Lacey’s anniversary. I promise I won’t tell anyone. She just needed to talk and I was there” I say. “She told you” he whispers. “I won’t say anything. It’s just how were you ever married to that woman?” I ask. “It feels like a different life” he says and I see him staring at Lucy.

“You love my daughter don’t you?” he asks. “Yes I do” I say. “Don’t give up on her” he says. “I don’t intend to. I don’t care how long it takes. I’ll make her see how much I love her” I say as we both watch as Lucy chats to Matt and Nuno.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long chapter I know but couldn’t stop writing. I’d really like to know what you thought about the Eulogy and Cris’s jealousy starting to show again. We also met Lucy’s mother. What was you opinion of her?

And is Liam's opinion of Cristiano starting to change.

Thanks to Jayme112234 for her comment.