Status: Completed Nov 1 2016

I'll Make You See It Was All Real

Chapter 44- And Here I Thought Today Would Be Awkward

Cris’s Pov

“Who was that on the phone?” Nuno asks I leave my phone back down on the coffee table. “Lucy” I mumble. “Lucy. Really?” Nuno asks. “Ya why?” I ask. “Because you’ve had less oddly soundly conversations with reporters than you just had there with Lucy” Elma says flicking off the TV. “How am I meant to act? I haven’t spoken to her since I kissed her” I say. “You kissed her?” Elma asks in shock. Shit I forgot I hadn’t told anyone other than Nuno. “Ya he did. And she freaked out and now he’s avoiding her” Nuno says. “I haven’t been avoiding her. And she hasn’t spoken to me either” I say.

“You kissed her. Wow” Elma says. “I pushed her too soon. I just thought. It felt right. We have been getting on so well” I say. “You do remember the last you had seen her before the party, you two had a row. How is that getting on well together?” Nuno asks and Elma smacks a cushion of his head. “Shut up Nuno. I get what you mean Cristiano. I saw the hand holding and the laughing the other night. You two were even like that when you were pretending” Elma says. “Where are you going?” Nuno asks when I stand. “I’m meeting Lucy for a baby scan. So now I get to have a face to face awkward conversation with her” I say.

I can’t help but feel nervous as I walk into the clinic. I don’t know how Lucy is going to react to me been around her. I know she felt something when we kissed. I find her sitting in the waiting room reading a magazine. “Hi” I say quietly when I reach her and her head flips up at the sound of my voice. “Hi” she says. “I thought I was going to be late. Traffic was slow” I say. “It’s ok. You are right on time. They are running a little behind. Someone will come get us when they are ready” she says.

“Ok” I say taking the seat next to her as she continues to read the magazine. I look around the near empty room. There’s one couple who look like they are in the middle of a row. The woman looks like she’s telling the guy no. I wonder how Lucy and I look to them. I notice Lucy’s knee bouncing as she sits. She’s anxious. And I’m not sure if it’s me or the scan that’s making her feel that way. “Weather is nice” I blurt out and Lucy pauses from turning the page. “Ya the sun is nice” she says. Weather. I’m talking about the bloody weather. What is wrong with me?

“Your Dad and Lisa got off ok?” I ask. “Ya” she says. “That’s good” I say looking at my watch. How much longer do I have to sit like this? “They enjoyed their trip” she says. “They got to see you. Of course they did” I say. “Ya I guess” she says. “So another scan. Baby will be bigger “I say. “I hope” she whispers frowning a little.

“Excuse us” a woman says and I look up to find the couple who looked like they were rowing in front of me. “We don’t mean to disturb you” she says,. Really they want an autograph now? “Can we help you?” Lucy smiles politely. “We are finding out if we are having a boy or girl today” the woman says. “That’s lovely” Lucy says. “How does that have anything to do with us?” I mumble and Lucy’s leg connects with my ankle. “Mary will you stop being stubborn and leave them alone” the man says.

“He wants to name the baby if it’s a boy. Well I hope you were thinking it for a boy” the woman glares at the man. “I was” the man scoffs. “Well nothing would surprise me when it comes to you” she snaps. “What name were you thinking?” Lucy asks and I can’t believe she wants to get involved in there business. Especially when she’s ignoring our issues. “Ruddy” the woman says. “And” Lucy asks. “HE wants to name the baby after a stupid footballer. No offence” she says to me. “None taken” I mumble and see Lucy trying not to laugh. “Van Nistelrooy is my favourite player. Like you’re alright too” the man says to me. “Thanks” I say. “Well Brad Pitt is my fave actor. Why don’t we name my child after him” the woman says. “Cos I don’t want to sleep with Van Nistelrooy” the man says.

“What exactly can I help you with?” I ask wanting this conversation to end as soon as possible. “Since you play football I was hoping you could tell my great big lump of a husband that he’s been an idiot” the woman says and I look at Lucy completly out of my depth. “Maybe you could find a name that you both like. And the baby might be a girl” Lucy says. “Waynetta if he gets his way” the woman says. “I’m sure Cris’s teammates would be flattered you are considering naming the baby after them. Isn’t that right Cris?” Lucy asks. “Oh ya” I say. “But I doubt they would want you both arguing over it. Maybe don’t choose a name after your favourite footballer or actor” Lucy says.

“Or teams” I say. “Yes Cris. Or teams” Lucy says rolling her eyes. “I guess we could find a name that we both like” the man says and their name gets called. “Oh we better go” the woman says. “Good luck” Lucy says. “Sorry for bothering you. But you know how hard it can be deal with idiot men” the woman says. “Oh I know” Lucy says. “Good luck with the boy or girl” I say. “Well we have two girls so he’s hoping for a boy” the woman says to me. “I need someone to help me win against all the women” the man jokes and I laugh. “Word of advice. Try not to piss them off when they are pregnant. It makes life easier” the man says to me. “Rodger that” I say. “Oh Rodger. That’s a nice name” the woman says. “And we both like Rodger Federer” the man smiles. “Awh we agree” his wife smiles and the leave us.

“Did I just imagine that?” I ask Lucy. “If you did then so did I” she laughs. “What the hell just happened there?” I ask her in disbelief. “A stupid footballer just named their baby” she grins. “Waynetta” I grin and she covers her mouth to hide her laughter. “I’m so calling him that the next time I see him” I joke. “And did you hear him. Giving you advice. It’s their third baby and he’s still not listening to his own advice” Lucy says. “And here I thought today would be awkward” I say. The moment I say those words I want to slap myself. “I mean..”I stutter. “Let’s just get through this scan” Lucy says twisting the magazine in her hands.

“There’s no need to be worried Lucy” I say. “We don’t know that” she says. “Then think positive not negative. Worrying isn’t good for you or the baby” I say. “What if…?” she whispers. “No ifs” I say taking her hand into mine. “But what if it is bad news?” she asks. “Then we will deal with it together” I say and she looks across to the other side of the room.

“I can hear your brain thinking” I joke and she laughs. “I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t” she says and a lady calls her name out. “Let’s go see babba” I say standing. She holds my hand and looks up to me. “It will be alright” I whisper. “Ok” she says and stands. Her grip on my hand grows tighter as we walk towards the doctor’s room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Will everything be ok? How awkward was it really? Thought Lucy and Cristiano needed a light distraction in the waiting room.

Thanks to ak9_sh and Jayme112234 for their comments.