Sequel: Secrets 2: SuperTeen
Status: All chapters have been re-edited and completed. I'm sorry for any inconveniences.

Secrets

Chapter 7

"I don't know if you remember my sons, Adrian and Nicholas. You used to be playmates with them" the king said while the two men smiled at her.

They looked nothing alike except for their curly hair. Adrian looked like his father but Nicholas had his blonde hair. She bowed in acknowledgment.

"It's nice to see you again..."

"Malia" Roderick interrupted Nicholas.

He frowned slightly at the new name but greeted her nonetheless."Malia"

She smiled. "Likewise"

"Malia?What happened to your former name?" Adrian asked.

"Fell down the drain" she replied. Nicholas laughed while Adrian smiled.

"Okay. Well it's nice to see you again. You look beautiful" he said.

"Thank you, your highness"

The three of them were left alone.Thankfully, music started playing and she assumed that they would leave her alone to go and dance.

"Would you like to dance?" Nicholas asked and offered his hand.

"Uh...I don't think I know how"

"I'll help you" he replied and she took his hand and let him lead her to the dance floor.It was a slow music and they soon fell into step.

"Well you look different since when I last saw you eleven years ago" Nicholas said.

"So I've been told"

"You're not the same redhead, chubby six year old I knew"

"I don't remember much but I don't think I was fat"

"I was kidding. I know" he smiled.

"Do I really look that different?"

He stared at her face a little too long and she suddenly felt uncomfortable. "Not really. Just you hair and your eyes. You've always looked beautiful, though I have to admit, I might have not recognized you at first glance"

"Oh" she whispered.

"Do you really not remember much? We saw the letter your grandfather sent but there was only a little detail about that"

She nodded.

"Then I'll help you remember" he declared. "I'll send for a carriage to pick you up at noon tomorrow and I'll take you somewhere. What do you say?"

Eager to regain her memory, she agreed.

The music stopped and he took her hand and led her out before another one began.
*****
They walked into a garden and stood by a lake.

"So, as children were we close?" Malia asked.

"Yes" Nicholas replied while staring at the water in the lake. "You, me, Adrian, Annabel, Elspeth and Alastair. There was another, Jacques but he was always travelling with his father so we were hardly close"

He looked at her and smiled.
Her heart skipped a beat."You don't remember them do you? Don't worry you will".

"I hope so" she muttered.

"Well, well if it isn't the prodigal daughter Matilda. Or is it Malia as I overheard" a feminine voice said.

They turned towards the voice. It sounded oddly familiar to Malia. A young girl came out of the shadows and walked towards them.

"Annabel"

"Your highness" the girl smiled and turned to Malia. "Don't tell you've forgotten me because I never forgot you"

"Uh"

"She doesn't remember much. It must have been as a result of what happened to her but I plan on helping her restore her memories".

"Of course you are" Annabel smirked and gave him a knowing look.

"I...um. should get back inside" Malia said and turned to leave but Annabel grabbed her hand.

"Don't. I really missed my best friend" Malia turned to look at her, and saw that she was being sincere, so she nodded and stayed.

"I saw the two of you sneaking out so I figured that you might be coming down here" Annabel explained. "So, Malia how has everything been treating you so far?" Annabel asked.

"Good. Takes some getting used to" Malia replied while fiddling with her dress.

"That gown is lovely".

"Thanks".

Nicholas held her hand. "Stop. You'll ruin it".

She pulled her hand away from his while Annabel watched the exchange.

Who did he think he was? Just because he claimed they were friends didn't mean he had the right to touch her whenever he wanted to and that was what he had been doing since they left the ballroom.

Every chance he got, he would either touch her back or hold her hand. He even touched her cheek once. Friends didn't touch each other like that. Not so affectionately.

"It's getting late I have to go. I don't want my mother thinking that I've been kidnapped again" she joked and Annabel laughed while Nicholas smiled.

"I'll walk you" Nicholas offered.

She wanted to say no but Annabel quickly grabbed her arm and said "That's a great idea let's go".

*****
By the time they got back, the guests were already leaving. Angus and Adrian stood by the main door, with Roderick and Emma.

"Malia dear, where were you?" Emma said as soon as she came close.

"Out in the garden with...the prince and Annabel"

"She was in good hands my lady" Nicholas cut in. "So, I'll see you tomorrow then" he said to Malia.

No."Yes"

"Goodnight" he smiled at her while the others watched them.

He watched her leave.

"You know she's betrothed to me right?" Adrian said.

"She was betrothed to you. You're engaged to someone else now"
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 6 has been completed.